Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2012, 06:17   #1

Boat: Light wave mv46 power cat 14me
Png-Daru - FLy river Delta

I Cruised around Torres Straight last spring and this year i intend to go one step durther and clear into PNG at Daru and if possible obtain the services of a native guide so as to visit and deliver some donated goods to tribes around the fly river delta. I have only been able to obtain limited knowledge of this area so if anyone can contribute any info at all it I would appreciated . I.e clearing in at Daru, navigating the fly river Delta and the Gulf of Papua , tribal interaction, etc , etc .
Old 03-10-2012, 18:27   #2

Boat: Light wave mv46 power cat 14me
Re: Png-Daru - FLy river Delta

Have just been thru the harrowing experience of taking a load of aid goods to the Daru Png in our 14 me power cat. Daru is the capital of the western province of PNG. Do. Not go there....even with the best intentions and reams of paperwork and connections in high places supporting our trip we had the following experience:Customs PNG will hit you with a huge array of demands..like clearing charges, sanitary charges, quarantine charges and charges on fuel in your possession . Even with all the paperwork and approvals under the sun they will try and charge you 10% GST on the aid goods you are giving them !!!!
Anchorage is secure from the weather but you will be visited nightly by small silent dories intent on petty theft. We had and needed a guard never slept!!
Daru itself is riddled with every disease known to man and is filthy. The magistrate fled some time ago , the place is quite lawless and the criminals roam the streets.
We had protection from a high level local but I would not hang about this place especially if you had a female on board.
Things can only get better but for the moment DON'T EVEN THINK OF GOING ANYWHERE NEAR THE WESTERN PROVINCE OF PAPUA NEWGUINEA . For further info feel free to email me robyjeff47@yahoo.com
Robyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 00:43   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Png-Daru - FLy river Delta

well at least the place isn't overun with binge drinking tourists destroying the local culture.......sounds like the traditional local culture and tradition is alive and well!!!!!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote