Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 21:43   #31

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Re: PNW: Anacortes to Desolation Sound

Spent 50 of our 56 day holiday in Canadian waters this summer. October, Bedwell will be closed, I'd check in at Sidney and then spend the night at Portland Island or go around the corner to Todd Inlet if you like plants. Buchart Gardens by boat is hard to beat. Portland has a nice trail system. If staying in the US, if going to Roach Harbor go around the corner to Garrison Bay and take the trail up Youngs Mountain for a fabulous sunset. My favorite San Juan Island is Matia, and it hasn't changed much in 50 years.If you decide to head north, Jeddidiah/Texada Islands are a good full days sail in the right weather conditions. On the wrong days it can whip your a**.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 21:50   #32

Sidney is a great overnight stop. Small town with 7 bookstores, great Thai restaurant, good pubs. I do many tips out of there; it is a favourite.

How far north do you want to go?
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 22:00   #33
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

Just finished 18 days out of Vancouver that included
Sidney Spit
Victoria Inner harbour
Fisherman Bay on Lopez Island - after clearing US customs at Roche
Anacortes
Sucia
Roche Harbour
Friday Harbour
Roasario
Reid Harbour
Sidney- clear customs back into Canada
Bedwell Harbour
Montegue Harbour
Vancouver for the fireworks
Pender Harbour
Egmont

That was lots of miles total, but not lots on each leg. Each of the places are interesting for different resons. Some are more developed some are not. Trip was outstanding. Wherever you go in the Gulf or San Launs you'll likely have a great time.
Old 12-09-2011, 21:25   #34

Boat: Beneteau/343

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
Just finished 18 days out of Vancouver that included
Sidney Spit
Victoria Inner harbour
Fisherman Bay on Lopez Island - after clearing US customs at Roche
Anacortes
Sucia
Roche Harbour
Friday Harbour
Roasario
Reid Harbour
Sidney- clear customs back into Canada
Bedwell Harbour
Montegue Harbour
Vancouver for the fireworks
Pender Harbour
Egmont

That was lots of miles total, but not lots on each leg. Each of the places are interesting for different resons. Some are more developed some are not. Trip was outstanding. Wherever you go in the Gulf or San Launs you'll likely have a great time.
Barring a catastrophe, I assume my choices are between really good and better. We only have 7 days for this trip so I'll have to make some choices.

What was your experience going into the Victoria Inner Harbor? Was it easy to get on shore?
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 21:37   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
Barring a catastrophe, I assume my choices are between really good and better. We only have 7 days for this trip so I'll have to make some choices.

What was your experience going into the Victoria Inner Harbor? Was it easy to get on shore?
Victoria Inner Harbour is right below the Empress Hotel.

http://www.victoriaharbour.org/uploa...tstreetmap.pdf

There is a harbour ferry that can shuttle you around.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 22:11   #36

Boat: Corsair F-27 - RAVEN
Hi,
I'm a newbie to this forum stuff, but I'll giver it a go. I just returned from 19 days in the San Juans, Victoria & the Gulf islands. I think my favorite place in the San Juans was south of Roche Harbor in Garrison Bay. Protected anchorage and good holding ground in about 10-12 foot depth at low tide. There is an old English garrison that is a park. Although it closed after Labor Day, there is still a dinghy dock & it offers a nice stroll. Additionally, there is an oyster farm, just in the next bay to the NE where cruisers can tie up to a derelict dock & buy fresh oysters & clams. Truly delicious.
If you are looking for a little more decedent cruising, Rosario Resort was a great deal, in that a mooring ball fee also bought you full use of the resort. Call ahead, as they were beginning to close up for the season. Note: South Pender Harbor I n the BC Gulf islands also has a similar resort, as well as customs .. Through sometime in September.

Have fun .. I'll certainly go back next year.

Shrugs
SV RAVEN
Shrigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 23:23   #37

Boat: San Juan 28

If you want to go up the mainland side closer to Desolation Sound, Pender Harbor and Secret Cove are both great choices. Both are excellent anchorages with very good holding and protection. I like the Garden Bay anchorage in Pender, and the southernmost arm of Secret Cove.

My recent return trip from Ketchikan used the following stops in this area:

Pender Harbor (anchorage)
Secret Cove (anchorage)
Vancouver (Vancouver Rowing Club (reciprocal for me))
Point Roberts (we arrived late and stayed at the customs dock with permission)
Orcas Island (Smuggler's Cove)
Cypress Island (Eagle Harbor mooring ball)
Seattle (Shilshole Marina)

I like some night life so the cities are fun stops for me. The only underwhelming place was Point Roberts, but we arrived late and left early so it didn't much matter.
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 14:05   #38

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Well, thanks for all the input. Unfortunately I didn't get to go this year but my friend is on the boat now in Friday Harbor. He calls from time to time to tell me what fun he is having. Dang!
He did 3 days at the Wooden Boat Festival and they are continuing north for a few more days.
I think this thread has been great and I think I'll copy all the recommendations so that when I actually get to do it I'll have some memory.
kind regards,
Old 03-07-2012, 23:44   #39

I've been up in Desolation Sound and the Gulf Islands and San Juans. I'm a fan of all three areas.

I'm maybe headed up to Cortez Island in Sept. and wanted to find information about anchoring off of the Southern tip, between Twin Island and Cortez. Does anyone know what the anchorage would be like there? I think I need to find a local who's spent some time in those waters.
jdailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:53   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

The west end of Cortes Bay is a protected anchorage. Watch the rocks at the north side of the mouth of the bay, best to pass on the south side and use your chart. Holding is said to be ok, not great. There is a gov't dock there as well.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:22   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Well, thanks for all the input. Unfortunately I didn't get to go this year but my friend is on the boat now in Friday Harbor. He calls from time to time to tell me what fun he is having. Dang!
He did 3 days at the Wooden Boat Festival and they are continuing north for a few more days.
I think this thread has been great and I think I'll copy all the recommendations so that when I actually get to do it I'll have some memory.
kind regards,
John, if you want to keep dreaming, buy the Waggoner's Cruising Guide. Tons of great material on all these routes and destinations. While it's updated almost every year, the places and harbors don't change, only the owners of the stores and marinas, so a two year old used copy wouldn't send you far off course!

And if you want to do Desolation Sound, charter out of Comox or Campbell River. A friend of mine chartered out of Comox a few years ago on a Catalina 350 and had a wonderful time.
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desolation sound