Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 14:39   #16

Boat: A Classic 1959 Herreshoff Ketch, 38' S/V ORCA
First I like to tell you all, how much I appreciate hearing your viewpoints. You are giving me things to think about and I am learning just by looking at what you say...

We checked to barging her all the way from Sausalito to Seward, Alaska -or trucking her to Homer, Alaska. That's why the high cost.

First we thought we might re-power her at home as David is a Marine Mechanic. Then we decided to re-power her now and see about sailing her home next spring/summer.

Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of time to go to Hawaii first. We need to get her home as quickly as safely possible, as David's business will be waiting.

Thank you kindly.

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...
Spin_Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:33   #17

That sounds just amazing - unfortunately i never had the chance to make a trip from California to Alaska - but i would want to do that for sure!
If you have time after your trip tell us how it was - make a little entry that would be great!
cedric.02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:47   #18

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
s/v HyLyte gave you a pretty good option if you can't go to Hawaii. His suggestion is to sail and motor directly west until 150 degrees and then turn north with prevailing winds and currents.
The other option is to coastal hop with your new engine. It'll be a hard slog but you can duck in a few places on the way and if hubby needs to get back to work he could fly back and that way you could break up the trip into several adventures. Good luck in whatever choice you make.
I sailed across the Pacific from Hawaii to Puget Sound in my old 35 foot ketch many years ago and it was with winds never over 35 and only those for a few days. A pleasant trip.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, california