Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2007, 04:32   #1

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
Temperate Cruisers?

First, I'm still about four years away from leaving on my long-anticipated cruise...a cruise that I hope will last about 15 years and take me to all the places I've always wanted go. I've come to the conclusion, after 45 years on this planet, that I do not like extremes. I like moderation, and this includes climate. I really have no desire to do any extended cruising in the tropics or in the high latitudes. My favorite conditions are dry, cool (60 -- 75 degrees F.), and clear. Obviously, when you cross oceans, you have to expect all types of weather, and I realize that. But my plan is to cruise in such locations and times of the year as to experience my ideal climate the majority of the time.

I was just curious if there are any people out there cruising who plan their passages/trips/voyages around climate/time of year. I don't necessarily mean avoiding cruising in the Caribbean during hurricane season or in the part of the Pacific prone to tyhpoons during typhoon season. I mean more like--cruising in Scandinavia during June, July, and August and cruising Spainish waters in December and January. That sort of thing.

Thanks!
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 06:31   #2
cruiser

Jay,

This is actually how the majority of people plan out their routes. Nobody wants to end up in Greenland in January or Florida in August. There are many boats the make trips up and down the East Coast of the USA with the weather.

However... I noticed you said you like it in a nice temp zone and you like it dry. You had better get out and see what boats are like to live on first... they are anything but dry when living aboard.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 08:30   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
[60 to 75 and clear]

It sounds like an air conditioned condominium at Punta de Mita Mexico to me. <sarc>

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 10:10   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO37-37ft.-Sun Dog
Unrealistic expectations

Where are, and I quote, "all the places I've always wanted to go"? Many of the most popular cruising destinations have charter boat businesses. (i.e., the eastern Caribbean, Belize, south Florida, the Bahamas, the Meditterranean and Polynesia for example).I would suggest that you spend some of your vacation time chartering boats in various regions of the world during their "high" or ideal seasons. And between cruises you should read, read, read about the experiences others have. It sounds like that you need a good bit more experience before you begin your dream of cruising. Even chartering does not give you the full picture of owning your own cruising vessel. For example the charter company ususally does all the maintenance and repair. There are so many other factors that enter into the full-time or extended cruising equation that it is not possible to give a meaningful answer. I believe you have unreal expectations at this point. Also unless you have the means to buy and support a very large yacht, using your own small or medium size sailing vessel can be one of the very most expensive and uncomfortable ways to travel and see the world. If you can conceive of the idea that standing in a cold shower tearing up 100 dollar bills could somehow be satisfying or enjoyable then you could be a candidate for extended or full time cruising. Or if you do not enjoy or can at least tolerate boat maintenance and repair then perhaps cruising on your own boat is not for you. A popular statement made by many cruisers is that cruising is all about doing lots of boat maintenance and repair in exotic locations. Here is another one- BOAT is an acronym for "break out another thousand". Climate is, of course, a consideration for most of us but there are lots more. One real example that I can give now as many part-time, snowbird cruisers are getting ready to depart for the Bahamas and the Caribbean for the winter, a time of really pleasant temperatures in that part of the northern hemisphere. The flip side is that you have to be able to tolerate the strong trade winds in the Caribbean and the northers that blow through the Bahamas off and on all winter. Many cruisers find themselves holing up for days or weeks waiting for a good weather window to get somewhere. I make these statements from the point of view of the owner of a medium size sloop who usually cruises (thus far since retiring from the regular workday world) for periods ranging from 4 to 7 months a year in temperate to tropical areas in the southern USA and Caribbean. In Guatemala, two years ago, I had to wait 7 weeks to get a spare engine part shipped to me and I was still having a great time overall in spite of a forced change of plans. Nothing like having a flexible schedule and attitude and the ability to make lemonade out of the lemons that come your way.
alaskadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 11:32   #5
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Alaskadog, I get the gist of what I believe you might be trying to say. Allow me to restate this. The truth is that all of us have a bit of a masochistic streak in us. None of us actually enjoy a cold shower while ripping up $100 bills..... yet we all do it anyway.

Over and over again
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 14:16   #6

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
Maybe that was a dumb post, but unrealistic expectations?

In hindsight, I suppose I wasn't really clear on what I was getting at. Obviously, people cruise where the climate suites their tastes. However, a lot of people cruise mostly, or exclusively, in the tropics or subtropics, and many people cruise in the high latitudes. They cruise those locations, I suppose, for many reasons -- they enjoy the scenery, the people, the adventure, the climate, etc. I guess I was hoping to hear from people who don't regularly cruise those locations because they don't like it where it's "too hot" or "too cold."
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskadog View Post
Where are, and I quote, "all the places I've always wanted to go"?
Some of the places include New Zealand, Japan, Australia, southern South America, Australia, and Scandinavia.
Quote:
Many of the most popular cruising destinations have charter boat businesses. (i.e., the eastern Caribbean, Belize, south Florida, the Bahamas, the Meditterranean and Polynesia for example).I would suggest that you spend some of your vacation time chartering boats in various regions of the world during their "high" or ideal seasons.
No thank you! I neither have the money nor the inclination to charter a sailboat in a popular cruising destination during their "high" season. Do you just assume that everyone who has a desire to cruise as a way of life has access to a nearly unlimited supply of cash? Or wants to spend their time in crowded, noisy anchorages or ashore in restuarants and bars? I suppose you also believe that if I don't have enough money to charter a boat, I don't have enough to go cruising.
Quote:
And between cruises you should read, read, read about the experiences others have.
I have read MANY accounts of the cruising life. I read most of them in the 1970s, when I was growing up. I've read enough to know all about the aspects of cruising that are not glamorous and exciting.
Quote:
It sounds like that you need a good bit more experience before you begin your dream of cruising. Even chartering does not give you the full picture of owning your own cruising vessel. For example the charter company ususally does all the maintenance and repair.
Although I have never done any bluewater cruising, I have done enough coastal cruising in the last 30 years to know 1) what cruising entails, 2) that I want to cruise as a way of life, and 3) I am more than capable of doing it. I've owned four sailboats during the last 25 years and I completely restored a 1962 Pearson Triton, to include recoring the decks, rebuilding the interior, installing all new wiring and plumbing, building and installing a new rudder, and much more. I have the full picture of what owning a cruising vessel entails, and I know how to do all of the maintenance and repair work.
Quote:
I believe you have unreal expectations at this point.
Please explain to me what my "unreal expectations" are. Do you believe it is naive of me to think that I can cruise mostly in regions that have the climate I enjoy? Do you believe it is unrealistic for me to dream about cruising as a way of life? I am at a comlete loss as to what was in my post to prompt you to say I have unrealistic expectations.
Quote:
Also unless you have the means to buy and support a very large yacht, using your own small or medium size sailing vessel can be one of the very most expensive and uncomfortable ways to travel and see the world.
That doesn't make sense--you're saying using a small or medium size sailing vessel is MORE expensive than using a "very large yacht?" Obviously, that's not true. It's LESS expensive to cruise aboard a smaller sailboat than a larger sailboat. And...I can think of several other ways of traveling and seeing the world that would be much more expensive than cruising aboard a small sailboat. Flying everywhere and staying in hotels; booking passage aboard cruise ships; flying into a country, renting a car, and staying in hotels. I'm pretty sure those would all be considerably more expensive than cruising aboard a small sailboat.
Quote:
If you can conceive of the idea that standing in a cold shower tearing up 100 dollar bills could somehow be satisfying or enjoyable then you could be a candidate for extended or full time cruising.
I've taken LOTS of cold showers in my life, and if I have to take cold showers frequently as a price to see the world and do what I've always wanted to do, then I think that's a small price to pay.
Quote:
A popular statement made by many cruisers is that cruising is all about doing lots of boat maintenance and repair in exotic locations. Here is another one- BOAT is an acronym for "break out another thousand".
I've owned several sailboats, and I know there is maintenance and repair that needs to be done. I think I'll have a slight advantage in that I will have a smaller boat than the average cruiser, without any of the electronics and mechanical gear that often need repair. No watermaker, no refrigeration, no electric anchor windlass, no computers...not even an inboard engine. Of course, I'm sure you're thinking I'm crazy...it won't work...I'll be miserable, etc. But it DOES work for many cruisers, and I know it will work for me.

Alaskadog--maybe you were just trying to be helpful, but I really took offense at your negative and condescending reply. Not everyone who dreams of cruising has the money or desire to cruise in the Caribbean and the South Pacific aboard large yachts, equipped with all of the latest electronics and gadgets. My only expectation is that I will finally have achieved a life-long dream.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 17:02   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton318 View Post
I was just curious if there are any people out there cruising who plan their passages/trips/voyages around climate/time of year. I don't necessarily mean avoiding cruising in the Caribbean during hurricane season or in the part of the Pacific prone to tyhpoons during typhoon season. I mean more like--cruising in Scandinavia during June, July, and August and cruising Spainish waters in December and January. That sort of thing.

Thanks!
I have to believe everyone plans thier locations based on climate, time of year, crossing conditions etc.

Based on your two posts I think it is a matter of gearing up and getting out there. Start with a first region in mind and then get your feet wet so to speak. I meet lot's of cruiser transients and the conversations around the yachtie table are often about where to go next and when. Many people follow the same general routes and meet up at various stops along the way.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote