Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2019, 17:35   #91

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: The romantic notion of a secluded anchorage vs. real life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
If you expect to reach that kind of place within weekend sailing range of a major city, you will be challenged in most cases (exceptions -- Stockholm, Copenhagen, Helsinki).

Exactly. It’s kinda stating the obvious, but generally speaking, if you want solitude you need to go where there are few people around. Luckily, there are still plenty of areas of the world where it is possible to get away from it all.

Quote:
There are plenty of lovely places which are really as you describe. The entire archipelago from Vastervik in Sweden to the border between Finland and Russia is like that -- a thousand miles of millions of islands, where you might spend a whole summer without sharing an anchorage with even one other boat even once. Where you can wander around on private property by law, and roam as you like.

I guess Newfoundland and Labrador are like that. Iceland is like that. The Western Isles of Scotland are like that. I guess Alaska is like that. I guess Norway is like that.
From my own limited experience I would add the north shore of Lake Superior, much of the St. Lawrence once you’re downstream of Quebec City, and although my exposure is limited, I found the British Columbia waters north of Taxada Is. to be fairly empty.
Old 11-03-2019, 00:17   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
. . . From my own limited experience I would add the north shore of Lake Superior, much of the St. Lawrence once you’re downstream of Quebec City, and although my exposure is limited, I found the British Columbia waters north of Taxada Is. to be fairly empty.

Well, there you go. The world is a big place, and the "romantic notion" is alive and well!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:18   #93

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
If you expect to reach that kind of place within weekend sailing range of a major city, you will be challenged in most cases (exceptions -- Stockholm, Copenhagen, Helsinki).

The flip side of the romantic vision is that you have to put in some miles to get there, maybe thousands. It doesn't come neatly packaged and purchasable with a weekend's worth of time.

There are plenty of lovely places which are really as you describe. The entire archipelago from Vastervik in Sweden to the border between Finland and Russia is like that -- a thousand miles of millions of islands, where you might spend a whole summer without sharing an anchorage with even one other boat even once. Where you can wander around on private property by law, and roam as you like.

I guess Newfoundland and Labrador are like that. Iceland is like that. The Western Isles of Scotland are like that. I guess Alaska is like that. I guess Norway is like that.

If you don't like what you've got around you, sail on, as Boatman61 said!
If cool weather is not a problem, I'd recommend sailing late in the autumn, after the main sailing season is over. Then you can have almost the whole world to yourself, with beautiful autumn colours.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:32   #94

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
If cool weather is not a problem, I'd recommend sailing late in the autumn, after the main sailing season is over. Then you can have almost the whole world to yourself, with beautiful autumn colours.
I'm guessing you don't get out much.

Much of the world has no main sailing season, cool weather problem or autumn colours.
Much of the world has two seasons, hot and fken hot.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:56   #95

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I'm guessing you don't get out much.

Much of the world has no main sailing season, cool weather problem or autumn colours.
Much of the world has two seasons, hot and fken hot.
I can't decide if I should say lucky you or poor you.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:21   #96

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
. . . Much of the world has two seasons, hot and fken hot.

LMAO.

I'm so glad I don't live in that kind of climate any more.

Winter sailing in Northern latitudes is wonderful, and devoid of crowds even in very popular places like the Solent. Winter is the BEST time to sail in the Solent, or around the UK South Coast.

Obviously the Eastern Baltic is too far North for winter sailing -- unless you sail an icebreaker!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:34   #97

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
We are lucky here then in the Hampton Roads area because after sailing only 5-6 miles and crossing the Thimble Shoals Shipping Channel (which is always a relief) you are pretty much out of the city(s) and it's day sailors and racers

From there and within 20-100 miles, there are a multitude of secluded anchorages on both sides of the bay which is about 30 miles wide at it's maximum

There is mostly farm land on the Eastern side with a few towns here and there of 300-2000 people. There are lots of spots where you will see no people much less another boat especially if you know where to go

You can even anchor along the side of the Bay if the wind is right and have no problem taking a cockpit bath or shower

On a Friday Afternoon after work especially if you take off a couple hours early, you can be anchored alone in 5-6 hours depending on the tide and wind...….or at most one or two other boats may show up depending on where you anchor.

So there is no need for a total lifestyle change to experience both the city life and off the grid life (or far enough off to get an idea of the slow pace) and since these trips are so short (less than two weeks) you don't need a large boat especially if you are a singlehander or couple

Plus it's great practice if you ever decide to cruise long distance
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor