Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2006, 00:10   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
The World is Too Big - Is So!

So I reclining here studying a National Geographic Map of the World. Got it at a garage sale and its a 5' x 4' beauty, I'm actually going to frame it soon as I get a round toit.

Charlie's thread about where you would go if you had it 'all together' got me to thinking and planning ...OK, imagining & wishing.

Well sh*t, you just can't get to every place ya want to go when you start at retirement age!!

We all hear about how small the world is getting in this day and age. That may be true as far as the news is concerned but just try and plan to go to all the places "you've alway's wanted to go to" while looking at a map of the world - with the time you have left to sail while your health holds.

Do a good job now, pick ones on each circumnavigation you could actually get to....How many times around would it take?

I'm betting that, liked me, you can't get there from here!! I would guess you have to pick well because if you miss it this time around you won't get there.

What are the HighLifes.. uh I mean Highlights??

Just a thought...carry on

John
jemsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 04:17   #2

Boat: Ontario 32 - Aria
Starting out at 56, I figure if I'm lucky, I've got 20 years on the boat. Though I had always thought about circumnavigating, the deeper I got into planning, the more I realized that the expense of doing so, was prohibative. Instead, I decided to just cruise US waters and some of the Carribean. I doubt I'll see all there is to see, even with staying in that area.

I don't think you have to go long distances, or even blue water, to cruise. You just have to get out there and go where you can.

Within a dream, we may find a fantasy,
But never within a fantasy, will we live a dream.
PBzeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 05:24   #3

Boat: C&C 27
After several years I found my leasure dreaming was always compromised by my professional success (or simple dumb luck.) I've got some loose plans for a year long holiday and cruise in a couple of years but for today, with some time off, my destination highlights look like this: Getting to the marina after breakfast, getting out into the bay, sailing into the upper bay or maybe the east bay or maybe the gulf, find a nice anchorage for tonight and getting there before the afternoon thunderstorms hit. So I guess what I am saying is that I still like reading the charts but the only destination I care about any longer is the little ship and where ever she might be.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 14:58   #4

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I hope to be starting the big trip at 45 (I couldn't wait until 65) so, hopefully, I will manage to take in all the spots I have dreamed about, before I shuffle off this mortal coil.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 10:17   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
I was lying on my sons bed last night and rather than read him a story I pulled out the atlas and started showing him all the different places he has been. Born Montana, moved to Kalifornia (his Dad's mistake), travelled to Illinois for a family reunion, Seattle, and then he started asking about the trips we made to charter a boat -- How far is it to Florida? I showed him how we stopped in Houston and then flew to Ft. Meyers, FL. "no Dad the real Florida," By which he meant the Florida Keys.

Canada where our boat is now is another trip he wanted me to show him on the map. I started showing him where Vancouver BC was and where we were going to keep the boat on Vancouver Island. From there he said, "It's not to far away." So I opened up my cruising guide to BC and showed him how there was a whole book on just this little section of Canada and while I was very excited he fell asleep.

I've been reading cruising guides lately and studying maps like Jemsea but I tell you there is so much more blue stuff out there than there is time to see it. When I was young I thought that I'd like to sail around the world by which I meant a circumnavigation but now I think I'd like to sail around the world by which I mean -- keep the boat somewhere around this world and sail it.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 12:18   #6

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
You can do it - if you really want to

We had the pleasure of meeting a remarkable fellow named Harry Heckel while sharing a dock, way up the Kuching River, in the heart of Borneo.

Harry was on his second solo circumnavigation at the tender age of 85.

This time around he was going eastabout because he wanted to see some of the places he'd missed on his earlier tradewind voyages. He connected the dots two years ago in Jacksonville at 89 years of age.

Robin Lee Graham did it on Dove while he was a teenager. Harry Heckel did it aboard Idle Queen at an age of when most people are living in nursing homes... or already dead.

(Where's that quote by Mark Twain, about regretting only the things one had not done, when I need it!?)

If you really want to go cruising and see the world - then, by all means, go cruising and see the world!

Kirk
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 07:56   #7

Boat: Islander 36-Fyfe & Drum
..and Zac Sunderland is solo sailing on an Islander 36. Which I did not realize when I bought my Islander 36. Very happy to know that my Islander has done a circumnavigation!

Ta for now,
Heidi
CaptainHeidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 09:13   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
I started out just a one week trip to the hook of holland, from Suffok in the UK,
9 years later, have been to the eastern med, western med, now getting ready for the caribbean. Not sure that Iwant to circumnavigate, but could see a couple of years in the carib, followed by a couple years in the Pacific. THere is a lot to see! and I think some of it may not be there for much longer in anywhere near a pristine state.
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 09:38   #9

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
20 years ago, i was one of the mugs who replied to the readers digest prize draw cos there was a cheap world atlas if i did.

Of course I didnt win but ive still got the atlas which i jokingly call "my book of dreams"
Ive always been interested in maps and spend hours searching out all those romantic and exciting movie type place names like Bear Creek, Moose Pass,Broken Arrow. I was and still am a Western movies fan because despite living in one of the most beautiful countries in the world, I am guilty of taking it for granted whilst admiring and longing to travel somewhere more exotic like the high country and rockies, and of course, the stunning islands, .........breeding grounds of so many great movies and stories like treasure island, robinson crusoe etc

So, even though my atlas has not kept up with world changes over 20 years like the fall of eastern block communism, its still my book of dreams
Old 14-07-2009, 09:50   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHeidi View Post
..and Zac Sunderland is solo sailing on an Islander 36. Which I did not realize when I bought my Islander 36. Very happy to know that my Islander has done a circumnavigation!

Ta for now,
Heidi
Zac is now back in US waters, Heidi, as of yesterday morning. He's on schedule to complete his epic voyage with a return to Fisherman's Village in Marina del Rey at 10am, Thursday, July 16th.

TaoJones
Old 14-07-2009, 10:02   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Tao,

I hope he's overwhelmed with people welcoming him home. What a way to begin your adult life. Already sailed around the world alone. I am sure Captain Slocum is smiling down on him if there's such a thing as heaven!.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote