Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2010, 09:53   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
There used to be a really fabulous old style rattly clattery train ride across the isthmus that was cheap, fast and beautiful. ...
The old train has been replaced by a new one - primarily used by people living in the Panama City area but working in Colon - it is still a nice site seeing trip. I believe the schedule has changed accordingly: leaves Panama City for Colon around 7:00am or 8:00am and returns to Panama City from Colon around 4:00pm or 5:00pm.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 10:41   #17

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei
Porto Bello

I know you said you don't have time for sightseeing, but you're missing a sure bet if you don't visit Porto Bello on the Atlantic side (better by sea). There's an old fort (much like Fort San Lorenzo at the mouth of the Chagres River (where in olden times travelers making the trip from the Atlantic to Pacific - on their way to San Francisco to join the Gold Rush - traveled by cayuga up the Chagres and then portaged to the Pacific side to pick up a Yankee clipper in Panama City - sometimes meeting foul play in the effort).

Supposedly, privateers and others frequented this part of the coast. There was also a dive shop at the point. If you venture just slightly further east, you'll see Las Tres Hermanas, "The Three Sisters" guarding a small cove where some of the best snorkeling and diving can be had....

I saw several yachts anchored in Porto Bello when I was there last.
Old 30-11-2012, 15:43   #18

Re: Travel From Panama City to Colon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_thomsen View Post
The above info is good. If you go to the bus staion in Panama City it does require a 5 cent coin (a US Nickel) to go through the turnstil. Then just go to a Colon Express Bus, it's one of the nice air conditioned buses -- ignore all the guys who try to get you on other buses. You can just take a seat in the Express bus and they will come by later for you money. {snip}
As of February 2012, they required a stored value card to pass through the turnstiles, and the card cost (IIRC) $0.25 at a small window, but they will NOT tell you that purchasing the card isn't enough, that you also have to add money to it. The system was new then, and there was a certain amount of chaos attendant on its purchase and use. The lines were long, English wasn't all that common, and voices got raised.

I trust there will be someone along shortly who'll tell us what is required in the way of $$ to get through the turnstiles. Other than what I've added, the advice is spot-on.
A CheeseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:06   #19

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

If you are flying into Panama City the airpport is located way outside of town and it will cost you about $35-$50 for a taxi ride to the Bus Station. The bus is $5 to Colon and then a Taxi Ride to Shelter Bay runs between $20-25.

From my own perspective, do not walk around Colon alone... Stay with large groups or hire a Cab Driver to take you on a tour.

Over the last month, Colon has had several major riots and last week was declared a disaster area due to severe flooding.

Last weeks rains destroyed over 1500 homes and killed five people. There are a lot of desperate people walking the streets right now.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:13   #20

Boat: Mac 26X

Not really any help...but I sure remember that old train, what a ride!! :-)

And Sara!! El Valle what a place! When I was there as a kid in the 80s there was only 1 hr of hot water, Golden Tree Frogs were still around, and I was so excited by the square trees!!!

We walked Colon daytime all we wanted....

So sad everything changes! But I have my memories
ElGatoGordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:44   #21

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"

Taxi ride from Panama City Airport (Tocumen) to Bus Station (Albrook Bus Terminal) should run about $25 - $30 depending if you get the yellow taxi on its way back to the city or white airport taxi (a bit more expensive).
They often try to take advantage of tourists, hence higher prices. Always ask before...
The regular fare from Tocumen to Cangrejo (lots of hotels, restaurants, shops - safe) is $20 -$25. I paid $3.75 from Albrook to Cangrejo several days ago.
These fares are for one person. They would add a little for more people. I would expect $5 more for ride from Tocumen to Albrook Bus Terminal.

Tags
Panama Canal, Panama