Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2006, 17:16   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
West Coast of Florida to East Coast

Those that follow this forum have heard me say more than a few not-so-nice things about living in North Fort Myers. Well ... if we dislike it so much, why not do something about it?
We are leaving Monday morning for Fort Lauderdale. We will be "doin' the ditch" and crossing Lake Okeechobee, plan to do this in 6 days. I have what promises to be a great job lined up for me, and Lynn should be able to find a better job too. We have an "interesting" berth awaiting us!
We don't have internet access lined up yet on that end, so it may be a while before I can post again ... but we will, when we can.
Bob & Lynn
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2006, 17:44   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
The planned 6 day trip turned into 8. Sew Good performed admirably and only gave us one real problem, an "air bubble" that found it's way into the fuel pump while we were in Lighthouse point. We always expected that the little Yanmar would be miserly ... but we only used 23 gallons in a 200 mile trip ... and would have done better if we were not dragging the dinghy.
The high point of the trip was staying on the hook in Jupiter Sound (in spite of a whopper of a thunderstorm mid night) ... we had planned to stay a mile or so further down the ditch, but saw another sailboat on the hook, chart showed 8' of water, so we anchored in the same area ... very nice. The low point of the trip was bridge after bridge after bridge on the ICW.
Kind of interesting, we had planned to do part of the trip on the outside (in the Atlantic). Listened to the NOAA weather radio when we tied up in Palm Beach, they said "Waves to 2 feet, winds 5 to 10 knots" ... we walked to the beach and found the breakers at 2 to 4, and the wind a solid 30kts onshore ... all of this due to hurricane Helene ... we stayed on the ICW.
Just got an air card (and 2 new phones) from Cingular today ... so far the internet seems a bit clunky, but "doable" ... they are supposed to go to higher speeds the first of next month ... so we will see how it does then.
Bob & Lynn
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2006, 06:33   #3

Boat: 36 gulfstar
Glad to hear you are safely tucked into your slip despite the minor fuel problem. I had also been considering an aircard for internet access. Let me know what it is like when they upgrade to higher speed. Of course, since I'm still on dial-up, everything is an improvement in speed for me.

Richard
seaclusion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, florida