Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2010, 00:29   #1

West Coast or East Coast More Fulfilling ?

I live in California and have traveled extensively along the coast (from top of Mexico to bottom of Alaska). Northern California is beautiful, but I feel we lack any "tropical" vibe. Sure we have baja, but it's sort of desert there. Also, we have access to the Pacific Islands, but that's a long hop.

It seems that the East Coast is where I should be. You have beautiful Maine, all the way down to Florida. Plus, you have the entire Caribbean to see. The water is also a little bluer. We don't have much crystal clear water over here.

My question is this- If you are a adventitious soul, and really want to see some amazing places, is the East Coast better? I love the West coast, but I think it's easier seen by a car then a boat

Am I really missing a lot being on the wrong side (besides the beautiful hurricane season)

Thanks
california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 01:56   #2

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, Mate. Sure the East Coast is better.....the East Coast of New Zealand that is. Head west my friend. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 04:07   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
East vs West

I live in SoCal now (Newport Beach), grew up in Houston and have lived on the east coast for some 10 years, and I am a boater, so I have some credentials for your question.

If it weren't for the high cost of living, the dysfunctional government and my interest in cruising I would stay here when we retire next year. But..

Cruising is limited here. Once you have crossed to Catalina a couple of dozen times, hung out in the Channel Islands, gone down to San Diego and anchored in Mission Bay or Glorietta Bay, that is it. Unless you want to go down to Baja and slog back up again or brave Conception Point and others on your way north.

The east coast has the Chesapeake, where we plan to retire next year, Long Island Sound, Maine and if you want to go that far, the Bahamas and the Carribean.

Living cost are cheaper, sometimes much cheaper if you pick an out of the way place. Governments are iffy- Florida sucks but Virginia and Maryland seem ok.

But different strokes....

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast