Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2020, 10:50   #91

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Why cruise where you cruise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Amazing places! In this time of Coronavirus sheltering-in-place and also stuck at the dock needing to replace a fuel filter as well as still trying to decide whether to keep my business running, this is either a brilliantly inspiring thread for those on the brink of leaving or a psychologically tortuous one for those who just aren't quite ready to jump off that ledge. Arrrg!
Uhmmm... you're welcome...?

If it makes you feel any better, I'm still landlocked awaiting winter to release its icy death grip on the land and sea where my boat is located. And now with Covid-19, I'm not even sure I can get back there.

Oh, to live in interesting times .
Old 17-03-2020, 10:53   #92

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I'm still landlocked awaiting winter to release its icy death grip on the land and sea where my boat is located. And now with Covid-19, I'm not even sure I can get back there.

Oh, to live in interesting times .

I know that feeling. Boat is only an 8 minute drive from home in my case, but I'm still scrambling to get the winter projects finished. My launch date isn't confirmed yet, but hopefully we'll splash right around the end of April. Weather is almost warm enough for it now, but I still have work to finish, the marina hasn't started launching yet and there are a bunch of other boats blocking mine in the storage shed.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 11:37   #93
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i cruise where i cruise because thats where i am and i am in refit phase post sailing a bit and pending sailing a bit more.
no sense cruising where ye are not.
"cruising" is done in phases and phases have cycles.
it is what it is and it aint no mo.
ps planet is changing not for our better. enjoy your quarantines and social physical distancing.
gotta love new trendy pc wordings.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 08:24   #94

Boat: Pearson 36-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
+1

We're on Lake Superior until the kids are done with school and the cruising kitty is full. I'm frustrated by the short season, cold water, and conspicuous lack of dolphins. Warmer climes as soon as we can.
Hey Steffan, That's precisely why we chose to keep our sailboat on Lake Pepin in Southeastern Minnesota. Our land dwelling is almost right in the middle between Duluth and Lake Pepin (5 miles difference), so we considered the decision for some time. The weekend Duluth summer traffic was a big issue for us.

If you ever want to check out the sailing on Lake Pepin let me know. It's starting to look like an early spring this year, which would be nice after the last two years of snow in May.
cppants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 08:29   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I know that feeling. Boat is only an 8 minute drive from home in my case, but I'm still scrambling to get the winter projects finished. My launch date isn't confirmed yet, but hopefully we'll splash right around the end of April. Weather is almost warm enough for it now, but I still have work to finish, the marina hasn't started launching yet and there are a bunch of other boats blocking mine in the storage shed.

No sympathy from me rslifkin. I won't launch till mid-June at the earliest . And that assumes I can even get back to my boat in Newfoundland.

Still, you can't beat the cruising where we are. Stunningly beautiful, lots of sea life, tons of anchorages everywhere, and very few people. Perfect .
Old 18-03-2020, 08:33   #96

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
No sympathy from me rslifkin. I won't launch till mid-June at the earliest . And that assumes I can even get back to my boat in Newfoundland.

Still, you can't beat the cruising where we are. Stunningly beautiful, lots of sea life, tons of anchorages everywhere, and very few people. Perfect .

Ouch. Mid-June is a painful wait. At this point, I'm getting nervous that the launch schedule for us isn't ready yet, so I don't know if the expected late April / early May launch will actually be the case or not. As long as they don't want to launch me early, I'll deal with whatever it ends up being. If they want to launch early, then I'll have to see about taking some time off work to get the boat ready (still plenty of work to do before launch).

But as you said, there's lots of good cruising in this part of the world. Hopefully we can all get back to it soon.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 09:00   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Ouch. Mid-June is a painful wait. At this point, I'm getting nervous that the launch schedule for us isn't ready yet, so I don't know if the expected late April / early May launch will actually be the case or not. As long as they don't want to launch me early, I'll deal with whatever it ends up being. If they want to launch early, then I'll have to see about taking some time off work to get the boat ready (still plenty of work to do before launch).

But as you said, there's lots of good cruising in this part of the world. Hopefully we can all get back to it soon.

So true. Hope it all goes well, whenever it happens. The world sure has gotten weird very quickly what with this Covid-19 stuff. But this too shall pass...

Tags
cruise, grass