Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Europe
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2021, 08:48   #31

Re: 4 in 5 UK Boat Owners May Quit Cruising Due to Post-Brexit Schengen Rules

Ah, cry me a river! I for one am sick of hearing the whining from Brits who all of a sudden have to perhaps, abide by rules almost all Non-EU citizens have had to do for a long time. And for those remainers, you lost so move on! As inept the exit was from the EU, I am confident history will show that it was the right thing to do. Particularly as the EU bureaucracy grows bigger, more corrupt and more dictatorial.
oceanluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:32   #32

Where was the RYA whilst all this was being firmed up?
I'd have though to have heard something from them.
PirateBarnabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:48   #33

I've done the work for you, I emailed the Spanish embassy in the uk 12 month Visa just over £500, this is the response and links

Good day,

Thanks for your email, hoping you are well,

If you need a NON LUCRATIVE VISA. This is the link with information related with your visa:

Information and Requirements

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consula...0residency.pdf

How to fill in Form EX-01

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consula...0el%20EX01.pdf

How to fill in Form 790-52

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consula...l%20790-52.pdf

For Appointment:

Send an email to cog.manchester.vis@maec.es with the following information:

Type of visa:

Passport Number

Name and Surname:

Address:

Telephone:

Email:

Please, tell us day and time you prefer.

Visa process takes around 20 days, you must apply in person.

Visa fee is 516£ because of Brexit Tax Reciprocity plus Residence Tax 9,80£
robertevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 13:22   #34

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

[QUOTE=boatman61;3383430]
As far as I am concerned all the bleating and whinging about being hard done by is a self inflicted injury brought about by Stupidity, arrogance and laziness.."

I seem to recollect that Boatman61 is a Brexit supporter. If so, nice to see an accurate description of the sort of person who voted for this disaster.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 13:36   #35

[QUOTE=Alita49DS;3386179]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
As far as I am concerned all the bleating and whinging about being hard done by is a self inflicted injury brought about by Stupidity, arrogance and laziness.."

I seem to recollect that Boatman61 is a Brexit supporter. If so, nice to see an accurate description of the sort of person who voted for this disaster.
I'm also a Brexit supporter, I did know the cost of leaving, the cost of staying was far more than the hassle of paying for a visa if you need one and nipping of for 1 night twice a year to any none EU country, or better still sail the boat then a visa is not necessary.
Old 12-04-2021, 13:41   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertevans View Post
I've done the work for you, I emailed the Spanish embassy in the uk 12 month Visa just over £500, this is the response and links
That'll do for me. A year in the sunshine drinking cheap plonk and commiserating with the other expats on how life used to be
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 13:48   #37

I should imagine Visa's are available in every EU as other none Brexit countys will visit them
Old 12-04-2021, 14:10   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 4 in 5 UK Boat Owners May Quit Cruising Due to Post-Brexit Schengen Rules

[QUOTE=Alita49DS;3386179]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

No whinging here.. that's all being done by the Remain crowd who did not realize they were disposable once the UK left.
Gonna be a lot of empty former Brit ghettos on the Costas in a years time.
One man's disaster is another man's opportunity.. you'll get over it... eventually.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 14:24   #39

Information link regarding Spain's Non-lucrative visa:

https://balcellsgroup.com/non-lucrat...%20items...%20

The non-lucrative residence residency is one of the different types of Spanish visas granted to non-EU citizens who have enough economic means to stay in the country without working. As that is also true for the applicant’s relatives, as you can also bring your family with you.

This permit will allow you to say in Spain for one year after entering the Spanish territory, as we are talking about an initial residence authorization.

Then, you will be able to renew it every 2 years (that is the length of the renewal), until you get the permanent residency (after 5 years in the country).

One of its main characteristics is that it does not allow you to carry out any type of economic or professional activity in Spain. In other words, you cannot work for any company operating in the country. It has a non-profit nature.

Nevertheless, you do not need to invest in the country to obtain a visa. This, apart from other of its few requirements, makes it an easy visa to acquire and process.

With the nonprofit visa, the only thing you have to worry about is having enough means to support yourself (and your family). If you can prove that you have sufficient funds and that your stay in the country will not cost the government anything, you will be able to get the residency.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 15:24   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 4 in 5 UK Boat Owners May Quit Cruising Due to Post-Brexit Schengen Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

https://balcellsgroup.com/non-lucrat...%20items...%20

The non-lucrative residence residency is one of the different types of Spanish visas granted to non-EU citizens who have enough economic means to stay in the country without working. As that is also true for the applicant’s relatives, as you can also bring your family with you.

This permit will allow you to say in Spain for one year after entering the Spanish territory, as we are talking about an initial residence authorization.

Then, you will be able to renew it every 2 years (that is the length of the renewal), until you get the permanent residency (after 5 years in the country).

One of its main characteristics is that it does not allow you to carry out any type of economic or professional activity in Spain. In other words, you cannot work for any company operating in the country. It has a non-profit nature.

Nevertheless, you do not need to invest in the country to obtain a visa. This, apart from other of its few requirements, makes it an easy visa to acquire and process.

With the nonprofit visa, the only thing you have to worry about is having enough means to support yourself (and your family). If you can prove that you have sufficient funds and that your stay in the country will not cost the government anything, you will be able to get the residency.
So with the new Work from Home opportunities Spain Can be your Oyster..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 04:43   #41

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

Unfortunately, the only people who can afford to live in Spain are poor people.
Suggest anyone with the financial resources to qualify for such a visa should talk to a good international tax accountant or lawyer before making any decision. The complexity and severity of the taxation regime here will make your head spin. "Non profit" ... that's funny. For whom?
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 05:07   #42

Brexit was really dumb.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 06:49   #43

Boat: moody 419,41.9', Pavati

they are on the case , as far as they can be :-
https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/ne...uk-and-eu.aspx
howlingengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 07:49   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
Unfortunately, the only people who can afford to live in Spain are poor people.
Suggest anyone with the financial resources to qualify for such a visa should talk to a good international tax accountant or lawyer before making any decision. The complexity and severity of the taxation regime here will make your head spin. "Non profit" ... that's funny. For whom?
Someone taking time off crusing is not working and would have the funds to live, someone looking to work would apply for a different visa, I'm not seeing your point.
Old 13-04-2021, 11:35   #45

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertevans View Post
Someone taking time off crusing is not working and would have the funds to live, someone looking to work would apply for a different visa, I'm not seeing your point.
After six months, all residents of Spain are liable for taxes on all worldwide income including investment and rental income. They must also declare all of their worldwide assets including property and file wealth tax on all of these assets which starts as low as 600k depending on which area of Spain you live in. Add the matriculation tax of 10% on the boat value and another 2k minimum for legal fees to sort out the Kafkaesque tangled web of tax filing requirements, and for the average cruiser who owns a decent home and has some financial assets in the home country, it might start to look like a fairly expensive year in the Med. Are you seeing my point, now?
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising, government regulations, rule