Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Europe
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2022, 10:00   #1

Buying a sailboat in Sweden for use in Portugal

Hello everyone,
I am considering buying a sailboat in Sweden and transporting it to Portugal.
The plan is to nationalize the boat in Portugal and have it there in our local marina.
The boat was manufactured in 1969, it is 29 foot, and weighs 3.5 tons.
I am wandering what bureaucracy and associated costs (taxes, fees etc.) I should prepare myself for and would also be happy to receive any recommendation for land transport services.
Any advise would be most appreciated
Kind regards,
Yariv
Yariv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 14:11   #2

Re: Buying a sailboat in Sweden for use in Portugal

I don't have any firm numbers, but I doubt moving the boat this distance will make any sense financially for a 50+ year old boat of this size except by yourself.

This will be a nice trip to do and can be well split up into reasonable sections which can be done over a whole season, if you can't get away to do it in one go.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 14:37   #3

Thank you Joh.Ghurt!
Yariv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 13:31   #4

I don’t know the rules in Portugal but I can almost assure you that you won’t get any type of registration or receipt for a Swedish boat that age. Could be a problem when you try to flag the boat in Portugal
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 03:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flod View Post
I don’t know the rules in Portugal but I can almost assure you that you won’t get any type of registration or receipt for a Swedish boat that age. Could be a problem when you try to flag the boat in Portugal
A boat this age falls under a lot of Grandfather-clauses (eg it's assumed to be VAT-paid). I doubt you'll have many troubles with registration.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 04:06   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Buying a sailboat in Sweden for use in Portugal

When you get to Portugal the registration process is fairly simple.. Once it's at your 'Home Port' you contact the Harbour master and fill out various forms to apply for registration, you then will have to arrange a lift out so she can be inspected by the Policia Maritima to ensure she is Seaworthy and suitably equipped for the number of passengers/crew you wish to carry.. life jackets, flares, VHF, and other kit right down to a suitable sharp knife for emergency use. It will then be categorised as safe for 3nm from home port and going up in stages to 60nm out to sea.
Fairly straightforward, make sure your sailing qualifications meet their standards, also graded to limits much the same as the boat.
Did this for a 1971 Hurley 22 I sailed down from the UK a few years back.. doubt I would do it again.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 04:54   #7

Boat: Vancouver 27'

I am looking at trucking a 27 foot Vancouver from Ega Denmark to Vigo Spain. First estimate is 7,900 euros PLUs VAT, so maybe 10,000 euros.

I am moving because Covid makes sailing in Scandinavia impractical for me.

I am not registering in Portugal, despite living here because i find the bureaucracy of Portuguese flagging, personally excessive.

Licensure at almost every level is required. Dinghy have a motor? License required. How far from shore? Different levels of licensure. Maybe you are deep water licensed.

Nor is Insurance so simple. I was turned down by UK and US insurers because Portugal requires the contract be in Portuguese. Ultimately I registered as part 1 in the UK. It works for me, I am VAT paid and an EU citizen. Basically, I need less hassle, not more.

As the lady at the Port Captains office said, AND I QUOTE: , "In Portugal, you need a piece of paper, to GET a piece of paper. Don't register here.")

Your situation may be different.

It's all doable, but you will have to jump through hoops. Ultimately I registered elsewhere. Sadly.

Here are some others experience:
https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?thr...rtugal.576051/
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 05:33   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Buying a sailboat in Sweden for use in Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepharad View Post
I am looking at trucking a 27 foot Vancouver from Ega Denmark to Vigo Spain. First estimate is 7,900 euros PLUs VAT, so maybe 10,000 euros.

I am moving because Covid makes sailing in Scandinavia impractical for me.

I am not registering in Portugal, despite living here because i find the bureaucracy of Portuguese flagging, personally excessive.

Licensure at almost every level is required. Dinghy have a motor? License required. How far from shore? Different levels of licensure. Maybe you are deep water licensed.

Nor is Insurance so simple. I was turned down by UK and US insurers because Portugal requires the contract be in Portuguese. Ultimately I registered as part 1 in the UK. It works for me, I am VAT paid and an EU citizen. Basically, I need less hassle, not more.

As the lady at the Port Captains office said, AND I QUOTE: , "In Portugal, you need a piece of paper, to GET a piece of paper. Don't register here.")

Your situation may be different.

It's all doable, but you will have to jump through hoops. Ultimately I registered elsewhere. Sadly.

Here are some others experience:
https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?thr...rtugal.576051/
Yup.. it is oppressive over the top regulation, done once, never again.
Re insurance, all my boats have been SSR since I came here in '07 and I will continue to do so, or Part 1.
Insurance has been with Panteaneus UK liability and I've never had any questions.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 17:02   #9

Before you buy a 50 year old boat, should be inspected if there is osmosis, moisture test, fiberglass boats have a life between 40 to 50 years
Yuksel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 23:33   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Buying a sailboat in Sweden for use in Portugal

I would advise against any U.K. flag registration for a boat claiming EU vat paid If you want a simple EU registration then use polish.

The situation requiring transit logs and the whole TIP issue will change over the next few years and having being a EU resident with a U.K. flag will attract attention.

Yes the Portuguese one is an awkward flag registration process. That’s until you try the Irish one. !!!

Tags
boat, buying, government regulations, local information, passage info: to & from, Portugal, sail, sailboat, Sweden