Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Europe
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2022, 10:53   #1

Buying a Sailing Yacht in Greece

Good evening folks,

Looking for some help/assistance from anyone who has recent or in-depth knowledge or experience of buying a sail yacht in Greece.

Currently looking at one in Preveza.

Whilst aware of the general stages of a Greek boat purchase, it would be helpful to speak to someone who has knowledge/experience per above.

Simple things like confirming whether the lawyers fees I have been quoted are ball park for the service provided etc.

Also, the yacht will be coming back to UK waters, so again if anyone has any prior knowledge/experience etc. your thoughts and/or assistance would be gratefully accepted.

In appreciation
Stevie
Steven Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:11   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Pm me , I’m in Lefkada, I bought here in 2020

Be aware that a U.K. boat that has been outside the U.K. for more then three years or never been in the U.K. will be assessed for U.K. vat immediately upon return to the U.K.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:02   #3

Re: Buying a Sailing Yacht in Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Pm me , I’m in Lefkada, I bought here in 2020

Be aware that a U.K. boat that has been outside the U.K. for more then three years or never been in the U.K. will be assessed for U.K. vat immediately upon return to the U.K.
PM sent thanks
Old 03-09-2022, 07:11   #4

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

If taking the boat to the UK after the end of this year you are likely to need to have it UKCA approved.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
If taking the boat to the UK after the end of this year you are likely to need to have it UKCA approved.
Thanks for replying Anders, can you expand on this please?
Old 03-09-2022, 07:32   #6
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

Unlikely the industry feedback is CE cross recognition will be extended
Old 03-09-2022, 07:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Miller View Post
Thanks for replying Anders, can you expand on this please?
CE approved boats (or anything else)are allowed to be imported into the UK until end of year unless they extend it again. After that boats and everything else needs to be UKCA approved instead.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:57   #8
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
CE approved boats (or anything else)are allowed to be imported into the UK until end of year unless they extend it again. After that boats and everything else needs to be UKCA approved instead.

This is not the case. All that has been currently agreed is CE is cross recognised to end of 2023. No decision has been taken after 2023 yet. The industry has told the U.K. that in no uncertain terms will it not produce to two differing standards and it’s widely expected in the U.K. that CE. cross approval will be extended .

I really wouldn’t worry. It’s also expected that any new approval would purely apply to new builds after 2023 anyway
Old 03-09-2022, 10:29   #9

Quote:
This is not the case. All that has been currently agreed is CE is cross recognised to end of 2023. No decision has been taken after 2023 yet. The industry has told the U.K. that in no uncertain terms will it not produce to two differing standards and it’s widely expected in the U.K. that CE. cross approval will be extended .

I really wouldn’t worry. It’s also expected that any new approval would purely apply to new builds after 2023 anyway
Nothing of this is correct. It has been extended until end of 2022 just as it has been extended before but it would be very foolish to rely on that it will be extended again.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:25   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Buying a Sailing Yacht in Greece

Quote:
Nothing of this is correct. It has been extended until end of 2022 just as it has been extended before but it would be very foolish to rely on that it will be extended again.
Especially if Liz Truss is Prime minister, she's gonna piss off Brussels in short order over the Irish Protocol..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:53   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Especially if Liz Truss is Prime minister, she's gonna piss off Brussels in short order over the Irish Protocol..
I think Boris has already done that!
I really don't understand why he decided to go for the UKCA. The UKCA and CE standards are identical for the products that the company that's currently paying my bear tokens makes and its really a paper exercise but it is a rather expensive paper exercise!

Gain? Nothing.
Old 03-09-2022, 14:30   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Buying a Sailing Yacht in Greece

Quote:
I think Boris has already done that!
I really don't understand why he decided to go for the UKCA. The UKCA and CE standards are identical for the products that the company that's currently paying my bear tokens makes and its really a paper exercise but it is a rather expensive paper exercise!

Gain? Nothing.
I think it come under "Take Back Control"...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:22   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

The industry has made it clear it will not build boats to two different standards. They would abandon the U.K. market first.

The situation is not the parallel of pre 1975. The RCD is the most comprehensive set of leisure standards in the world

The industry is confident that the UkCA for boats will be in effect the same as CE. They are also confident it will not be back dated

I’ll meet some of the principals at METS again in nov but I’d happy the industry doesn’t believe the cart will be upset.

NI won’t change either. There’ll all making way too much money out of it , ! ( it will be the Singapore of the area if they keep going )

Sure nothing is for certain but if the U.K. thinks it can force boat builders to two standards it’s another thing coming.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:14   #14

Quote:
The industry has made it clear it will not build boats to two different standards. They would abandon the U.K. market first.

The situation is not the parallel of pre 1975. The RCD is the most comprehensive set of leisure standards in the world

The industry is confident that the UkCA for boats will be in effect the same as CE. They are also confident it will not be back dated

I’ll meet some of the principals at METS again in nov but I’d happy the industry doesn’t believe the cart will be upset.

NI won’t change either. There’ll all making way too much money out of it , ! ( it will be the Singapore of the area if they keep going )

Sure nothing is for certain but if the U.K. thinks it can force boat builders to two standards it’s another thing coming.
The standards are unlikely to be much different but you still have the recertification even when standards are identical and that costs money. I really no idea why Boris decided to do this but he did.
Old 04-09-2022, 12:03   #15
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
The standards are unlikely to be much different but you still have the recertification even when standards are identical and that costs money. I really no idea why Boris decided to do this but he did.
We shall see , the expectation is UKCA for boats will be identical to the RCD , since the uk is not going to create all the ISO standards a second time

Time will tell , the industry doesn’t seem perturbed as far as I can ascertain

Tags
buying, government regulations, Greece, local information, sail, sailing, yacht