Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Europe
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2021, 05:04   #1

Boat: Morgan 382
Portuguese Coast: Lisbon to Gibraltar in November

Does anyone have any direct experience with, and tips/advice for, sailing the Portuguese coast in November? I'll be making this passage in a few short weeks and would appreciate anything you might offer. Aside from making landfall in Lisbon after an Atlantic crossing, I have no experience on this coast. I understand that it's not the ideal season for making this passage, but, I don't have a choice.

I'll be leaving from Cascais around November 1st. My current plan is to stop in Sines the first night (anchoring, if possible). I'll leave at the first hint of light the following morning to round Cabo de Sao Vicente - anchoring at Praia do Beliche, if appropriate. The rest of the trip seems fairly straightforward, respecting the Strait of course.

I know about and follow closely the orca situation. And, I know the summer northerly winds will likely have ended by then. But, what else should I be considering? How often do weather windows present themselves at this time of year? Any tips for getting around the Cape? Any other wisdom or tips?

Thanks!
datswite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 05:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Portuguese Coast: Lisbon to Gibraltar in November

I have never been into Sines so cannot comment on its anchorage.
My normal action for rounding St Vincent after a Cascais stop is to leave early and go nonstop to and around the Cape.
Its around 18 to 24hrs to the Cape.. This would have you dropping the hook of Sagres early to mid morning.
Winds are still generally N or W bar the odd S'ly as a low swinging front comes over Madeira.. the predominant NW swell is the biggest problem along the W coast but that should not effect this trip.. its more to the N of Lisbon that its a problem as many ports are at River mouths and sand bars make entry difficult in weather and ports often closing in bad weather..
Have a good crossing.

PS: Looks like the Orca are heading N to the Biscay for the winter to feed.. last reported encounter around Islas Berlengas where the juvenile jammed a yachts rudder.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 05:51   #3

Boat: Najad 373
Re: Portuguese Coast: Lisbon to Gibraltar in November

I havent done it myself but I’m familiar with the Algarvian coast. Praia do Beliche is not appropriate as it is very exposed to oceanic swell. Need to go past the Punta de Sagres and find shelter behind the breakwater of Sagres, only a couple of NM further. You may need to check whether authorisation is required, not sure about that
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 06:25   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I have never been into Sines so cannot comment on its anchorage.
My normal action for rounding St Vincent after a Cascais stop is to leave early and go nonstop to and around the Cape.
Its around 18 to 24hrs to the Cape.. This would have you dropping the hook of Sagres early to mid morning.
Winds are still generally N or W bar the odd S'ly as a low swinging front comes over Madeira.. the predominant NW swell is the biggest problem along the W coast but that should not effect this trip.. its more to the N of Lisbon that its a problem as many ports are at River mouths and sand bars make entry difficult in weather and ports often closing in bad weather..
Have a good crossing.
How feasible is transiting this coast at night? I could leave Cascais around noon, sail overnight and round the cape the following morning. Is the coast littered with fishing nets or any other hazards at that time of year?
datswite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 07:51   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Portuguese Coast: Lisbon to Gibraltar in November

Quote:
Originally Posted by datswite View Post
How feasible is transiting this coast at night? I could leave Cascais around noon, sail overnight and round the cape the following morning. Is the coast littered with fishing nets or any other hazards at that time of year?
If you leave around noon you will be well past Cabo Espechel by dark, just set a way point 5nm to the W of San Vincent and you'll be fine, the pots are much closer inshore.
Going round the Cape if there's a swell stand off a couple of miles and try to time it with the tide.. there are buoyed nets but not many closer in.
Also you may as well continue another 20 odd nm to Portimao and anchor off Praia Grande behind the breakwater, good shelter, holding in sand and just across from the marina for fuel and water.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 08:40   #6

Sines: entering the harbour i tought "Oh no! what a dirty industrual harbor" but entering the small bay for plaisure boats I was surprised. Nice, well protected , close to town, good holding and also some pontoons.
nepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 09:00   #7

Boat: Moody 33S

WE have done this trip and anchoring in Sines just off the beach/town is safe and quiet. The mariana though small is sheltered. Having rounded Cape St Vincent, both going East and North we were hit by squall winds about 1 mile off the cape. I have been told this is quite common. Heading East Lagos marina is safe and secure but beware the fishing nets (not always buoyed)
Boa sorte

Brendan
jacaranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 10:55   #8

We sailed south along the Portuguese coast in November a few years ago.
The most notable was the huge swells breaking along the coast over the sandbars and at harbour breakwalls.
Also, lots of ship traffic.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Gibraltar, local information, marina & port info, passage info: to & from, safe anchorages, weather & tidal patterns