Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2024, 03:35   #1

Tucked anchorage

For some odd reason, I can’t seem to figure this out, no matter how much I search, the answer is always elusive.

The constraints are, within Europe the continent, or close to, and on a budget. Since the budget is relative in nature, let’s not use it as an excuse to ditch the question.

The premises are, one would need to, within one day (or maybe two if necessary), pick up the boat, grocery shop, fill with water and diesel and return to the same spot. I’m assuming on anchor, but not necessarily so, could be tied somewhere or whatever.

The aim or intent or objective is to be as secluded as possible, as far away from humans as possible, not necessarily form the presence of humans. Could be in a marina as long as there’s nobody there, could be in the middle of nowhere as long as there’s nobody there. Bare in mind the periodic need for grocery shopping.

I’m trying to find out, without much success so far, where should I go to maximise the likelihood of achieving this.

To start things off, one could, for example, reasonably expect to achieve this in a very cold place, because people need warmth, but ice may stop you from moving which could be dangerous, and secluded bays are more prone to ice formation. I don’t know how much ice formation is there in, for example, west coast Norway. Maybe some of its outer islands do keep ice at bay throughout winter, assuming they’re protected enough from swell. Temperatures shouldn’t be that low either. Even so, the needed dock for groceries and fuel could be inaccessible due to ice. And also, water may not be available in freezing conditions.

How about inland waters in Benelux? Are there secluded anchorages? Should be pretty calm seas!
How about Scotland? It’s not too populated I think. And also lots of anchorages I believe. Maybe there’s strong currents, not sure. I read somewhere the Faroe Islands could be dangerous in this regard. How about Ireland? I’m guessing England should be crowded, but very popular for live aboard’s.
I am also curious about northern France and inland Germany where it doesn’t freeze.

Where would you go?
RIC_LORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2024, 03:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tucked anchorage

Faro/Olhau lagoon..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2024, 04:33   #3

Re: Tucked anchorage

Southern Europe I consider to be simply unacceptable, way to much social piracy for this purpose, imho. Not to mention that is crowded. But if you’re looking for something different than what I’m looking for, then, sure! Enjoy! Make the most of it! The weather is great!

Of course, there might be exceptions. And if there are, I would love to hear them!
Old 23-01-2024, 05:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Figured as your in Portugal already it was an option you may not be aware off... it has spots one can tuck into away from the crowds.
Maybe you should look at the islands in the Baltic.. beautiful anchorages abound.

Old 23-01-2024, 05:43   #5

I’m not in Portugal, I’m just Portuguese.

Doesn’t the Baltic have a real risk of freezing in winter? Low salinity, lower temperatures than oceanic. Other than that, seems great. Lots of boats in the Baltic but I doubt they come out to play in winter time.
Old 23-01-2024, 07:54   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mild winter coverage and severe winter coverage below..
You could always tuck in by Aero during a severe winter, nice little island.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	154134 (1).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	285607  

Old 23-01-2024, 09:12   #7

Indeed, that’s a possibility, but that area is highly populated, which is not necessarily a problem if there are anchorages inaccessible by land. Very pretty, but densely packed. Great for holidays I presume. The Baltic in general is a fertile sailing and cruising area.
Anyway, I think the fact is that it’ll probably not freeze, but it may if the winter is extreme enough.
Old 23-01-2024, 10:00   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

You should PM Dockhead, he cruised that area extensively for several years so should be a good source for the realities.
As I remember, once away from the built up areas it was pretty uncrowded either side of the holidays.

Old 23-01-2024, 12:04   #9

Anybody else as any advice? Any informed and honest advice is very welcome. I am convinced it might be useful to others looking for a similar situation.
Old 24-01-2024, 00:34   #10

Ok, no answers here.
Only mute discussions (the above), which are a waste of my time.
Sorry for asking.
Old 24-01-2024, 01:52   #11

Boat: Volkscruiser

Nice yacht Ric_Lord, with that attitude I can see why you want a remote anchorage to yourself. Boatman61 is a wealth of knowledge and experience.
I imagine any anchorage near the Russian Ukraine border might work for you. You might not even have to leave the anchorage as I hear the Ukraine's are very good with drones and maybe they could drop supplies to you?
The end of the day Ric_Lord if you know some sweet empty anchorage in Europe, why would you tell the world about on this forum?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 02:07   #12

Ok, that’s a much more reasonable answer imo.
You condemn my goal. That’s ok.
The judging is what I argue to be unfounded.
Nevertheless, you’re free not to help. Or you could assume I have my legitimate reasons and be of help if you maybe have some more knowledge than I in these places which you probably do since I never been to these areas.
BTW, I’m not asking for a specific pinpoint location. More of a general understanding about these places. What should I expect from these places etc…
Old 24-01-2024, 04:12   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yup.. your definitely Portugues..
Try doing a search for Baltic Sea in the search function on here and you should turn up some of Dockheads threads/posts on the subject as he cruised those waters extensively, my experience is limited to Denmark and a bit of Germany..
Deus helps those who help themselves.. or so I'm told..

I shall now return to mute..

Old 24-01-2024, 05:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC_LORD View Post
The premises are, one would need to, within one day (or maybe two if necessary), pick up the boat, grocery shop, fill with water and diesel and return to the same spot. I’m assuming on anchor, but not necessarily so, could be tied somewhere or whatever.

The aim or intent or objective is to be as secluded as possible, as far away from humans as possible, not necessarily form the presence of humans.
Hello Ric,

how about putting some numbers on those requirements?

Living on the cheap: In Europe, the poorest / cheapest countries are in the south, Portugal, Greece, Andalusia, Albania, Montenegro, Romania, Bulgaria. England, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Sweden, Finland are on the expensive side to live cheaply. So what's your expected budget?

What distance can you sail one way on a shopping day with your boat? Depending on your boat, that might be no more than 10 nm.

When I was anchoring out in the boonies, I often found it easier to hike an hour or two inland to the nearest bus station and visit the Lidl, Aldi or Asda in the next bigger town instead of moving the boat. A freshwater source close to the anchorage (say less than an hour hike away) is a boon. With a little planning, I needed a big shopping trip only once a month. In colder climates, Diesel is more important than in warmer climates, a few solar panels cover most energy needs and you don't have to heat.

Last is what would you consider isolated enough? Europe is heavily quite populated and has also a fair amount of people with boats - sailing and motor. If you're close to a reasonable centre of population, you can bet that any nice anchorages will be visited on the week-ends. Specially if you're sailing, your 4 hours into isolation can be easily be done with a motorboat in an hours for sun-downers and some loud music. That usually leaves places nobody would want to anchor, either because the holding is terrible or the water is polluted by sewer pipes of the local factory.

I'd be interested to know, what numbers make you comfortable for this plan?
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 07:49   #15

My experience has been, anywhere there is an anchorage close to the ability to provision, you will find boats. The more protected the anchorage, the more boats.

The places which are completely isolated are usually because they are in inclimate weather, difficult to reach, and/or far from resources.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor