Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Europe
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2023, 12:35   #1
B4A

Boat: 2018 Robertson and Caine, Leopard 40
Wintering in Turkey: An Inconvenient Truth

Looking to winter your boat in Turkey? Think again!

As someone who's sailed over 22,000 nautical miles across 35 countries, let me tell you, times have changed.

Although Turkey was once a go-to spot for sailors, the cost of marinas has skyrocketed, causing even Turkish sailors to winter elsewhere.

In winter 2023 I stayed at Didim Marina, which was one of the only options with semi-affordable prices, but even that was a mistake.

While the cost of living may be cheaper in Turkey, anything related to the marine industry will cost you a fortune.

In Didim, I paid a whopping €6,000 for 6 months on the hard in winter 2022 for my 40-foot catamaran, and the following year, they quoted me a staggering €8,000!

In comparison, I only paid €2,200 in Sicily in 2021 and will be paying €2,500 in Greece in 2023, in the water.

And don't even get me started on the quality of labor at the shipyard - I had to redo every job done by one of their service provider, who come highly recommended, called Modern Marine.

Even a simple job as antifouling painting wasn't done right!

And boat parts cost an arm and a leg. For example, even a basic bottle of gear oil 80W90 GL5 from an unknown Turkish brand costed me €130 for just 5 liters, while Yanmar branded gear oil of the same quantity costs a mere €35 in Greece, just 23 nautical miles away!

In short, save yourself the trouble and expense by avoiding Turkey. Trust me, there are better places to spend your winter, and Didim isn't much to write home about anyway.

Don't get me wrong, Turkey is a beautiful country. And people are amazingly generous. Turkey is a land of wonder and magic. We covered by car more than 1,500 miles of magnificent landscapes and dazzling vistas.

From the shores of the touristy coast, to the heart of Anatolia, a fascinating region located in the central part of Turkey. A vast plateau that boasts a stunning landscape of rolling hills, mountains, and vast plains.

From the "Turkish Riviera" to the soaring heights of hot air balloons over Capadochia, we conquered it all!

But leaving your boat in Turkey for the winter economically doesn't make sense anymore. Pity, because the country is beautiful and people are amazing.
Old 04-05-2023, 15:25   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Wintering in Turkey: An Inconvenient Truth

Have you thought about wintering while still actively cruising and spending nights at anchor?
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 15:44   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@B40,

Part of the problem with pricing for catamaran berthing and hard standing is that for two 40 ft. cats, they could have 3 good sized monos, and charge accordingly. We met a guy with a 55 ft. cat, who was charged $1500 per week in Sydney, Australia--ten to 15 yrs. ago. It has to be hard on you, but they're selling space, volume, and they don't always do it on the concept of "a boat is a boat."

Now, to me inept labor is really aggravating, but can sometimes be avoided by checking around with other cruisers for someone you can hire in, if the yard's staff is not good. You pay a premium for good yards with good service. In the world as a whole, there are less people wanting to do "grunt" jobs well.

Accept what you cannot change.

Ann
Old 04-05-2023, 16:06   #4

Haven't boated there but visited last year and about a month ago.

Their economy is still a mess with insane govt responses that are making things worse.

As you say, beautiful country and wonderful people (at least avoiding the hawkers) but they lost a lot of the cost benefit for travelers over the last year. Our costs in USD were easily up 50%. Still reasonable but no longer cheap.

I'm sure a lot of it is folks just desperately trying to adapt while putting food on the table.

Hopefully, with elections coming up, they can return to a sane economic policy and things can sort themselves out but it's likely a year or two for that to mostly settle out.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 20:41   #5
B4A

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Have you thought about wintering while still actively cruising and spending nights at anchor?
I spent 4 years living full time aboard, but at lower latitudes. The Med in winter (or summer) is too complicated and there is no anchorage that is safe all of the time. Plus is cold and miserable in Winter.
B4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 04:09   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4A View Post
The Med in winter (or summer) is too complicated and there is no anchorage that is safe all of the time.
Modern anchoring gear has improved enormously. Anchoring during winter in the Med can be quite safe with the right equipment. We spent 9 years doing just that. It is not unusual for winter storms to damage boats kept in marinas, but we never had a scratch.

Winter cruising in the Med can be very pleasant. The crowded anchorages become deserted. For example, we have counted over 80 boats in Lakka on Paxos, but have spent weeks there in winter without seeing another anchored boat. The weather is colder, more suitable for long walks exploring the islands rather than swimming, but staying in a marina does not improve the weather. Exploring new places is much nicer than being tied to one spot and this especially true in inclement conditions.

It is an option worth considering for the many advantages, not just because it is less expensive.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 04:20   #7

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
@B40,

Part of the problem with pricing for catamaran berthing and hard standing is that for two 40 ft. cats, they could have 3 good sized monos, and charge accordingly. We met a guy with a 55 ft. cat, who was charged $1500 per week in Sydney, Australia--ten to 15 yrs. ago. It has to be hard on you, but they're selling space, volume, and they don't always do it on the concept of "a boat is a boat."

Now, to me inept labor is really aggravating, but can sometimes be avoided by checking around with other cruisers for someone you can hire in, if the yard's staff is not good. You pay a premium for good yards with good service. In the world as a whole, there are less people wanting to do "grunt" jobs well.

Accept what you cannot change.

Ann
This is quite true. When I built my boat I had always assumed I would not be able to afford to keep it in a marina.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 04:30   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hιlia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Looking to winter your boat in Turkey? Think again!

As someone who's sailed over 22,000 nautical miles across 35 countries, let me tell you, times have changed.

Although Turkey was once a go-to spot for sailors, the cost of marinas has skyrocketed, causing even Turkish sailors to winter elsewhere.

In winter 2023 I stayed at Didim Marina, which was one of the only options with semi-affordable prices, but even that was a mistake.

While the cost of living may be cheaper in Turkey, anything related to the marine industry will cost you a fortune.

In Didim, I paid a whopping €6,000 for 6 months on the hard in winter 2022 for my 40-foot catamaran, and the following year, they quoted me a staggering €8,000!

In comparison, I only paid €2,200 in Sicily in 2021 and will be paying €2,500 in Greece in 2023, in the water.

And don't even get me started on the quality of labor at the shipyard - I had to redo every job done by one of their service provider, who come highly recommended, called Modern Marine.

Even a simple job as antifouling painting wasn't done right!

And boat parts cost an arm and a leg. For example, even a basic bottle of gear oil 80W90 GL5 from an unknown Turkish brand costed me €130 for just 5 liters, while Yanmar branded gear oil of the same quantity costs a mere €35 in Greece, just 23 nautical miles away!

In short, save yourself the trouble and expense by avoiding Turkey. Trust me, there are better places to spend your winter, and Didim isn't much to write home about anyway.

Don't get me wrong, Turkey is a beautiful country. And people are amazingly generous. Turkey is a land of wonder and magic. We covered by car more than 1,500 miles of magnificent landscapes and dazzling vistas.

From the shores of the touristy coast, to the heart of Anatolia, a fascinating region located in the central part of Turkey. A vast plateau that boasts a stunning landscape of rolling hills, mountains, and vast plains.

From the "Turkish Riviera" to the soaring heights of hot air balloons over Capadochia, we conquered it all!

But leaving your boat in Turkey for the winter economically doesn't make sense anymore. Pity, because the country is beautiful and people are amazing.
I agree on all what you said on marina prices and Didim is not the most expensive. In Gφηek they have quoted 47.000 € for Lagoon 46 for one year..
But the labour quality is probably the best in the Med althought is not anymore as cheap as it used to be. The main reason is that the Central Bank is putting a lot of pressure on foreign exchange . While the inflation has been running ıover 100%, the FX increased only 30 % for the same period. Obviously poor service companies do exist everywhere, also in Turkey.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 04:43   #9
B4A

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Modern anchoring gear has improved enormously. Anchoring during winter in the Med can be quite safe with the right equipment. We spent 9 years doing just that. It is not unusual for winter storms to damage boats kept in marinas, but we never had a scratch.

It is an option worth considering for the many advantages, not just because it is less expensive.
Ahoy there matey!

I've been sailing no stop for five years and have never had my anchor drag, not even in Porto Seguro, Brazil, where the 5 knots reversing currents are as tricky as a barrel full of monkeys.

I even weathered TS Gonzalo in the Caribbean a few years back, and lived to tell the tale. So I completely agree with you that with the right preparation and gear, you can tackle the nastiest of winter storms.

Marinas are dangerous, and I avoid them like the plague.

I met other sailors like you who spent the winter at anchor in the Med. Is it doable? Absolutely. Is it enjoyable? Well, that depends on your definition of fun!

I have to admit, the coldest winter of my life was spent in the water in a marina in Sicily. Brrrr! No way am I doing that again. But hats off to you, matey!

You've got all my admiration for braving the winter at anchor. Hope we can meet somewhere in Cyclades so that I can hear your wintering stories in front of a couple of cold beers!
Old 05-05-2023, 05:42   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wintering in Turkey: An Inconvenient Truth

Quote:
Ahoy there matey!

I've been sailing no stop for five years and have never had my anchor drag, not even in Porto Seguro, Brazil, where the 5 knots reversing currents are as tricky as a barrel full of monkeys.

I even weathered TS Gonzalo in the Caribbean a few years back, and lived to tell the tale. So I completely agree with you that with the right preparation and gear, you can tackle the nastiest of winter storms.

Marinas are dangerous, and I avoid them like the plague.

I met other sailors like you who spent the winter at anchor in the Med. Is it doable? Absolutely. Is it enjoyable? Well, that depends on your definition of fun!

I have to admit, the coldest winter of my life was spent in the water in a marina in Sicily. Brrrr! No way am I doing that again. But hats off to you, matey!

You've got all my admiration for braving the winter at anchor. Hope we can meet somewhere in Cyclades so that I can hear your wintering stories in front of a couple of cold beers!
Simple answer, install heating..
Makes winter sailing around 52*N+ brisk while sailing and cozy when not..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Turkey, winter