Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2020, 10:30   #16

Boat: Montgomery 23
Re: attention Pacific Mexico sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlarson1098 View Post
Not so sure about the northern Sea of Cortez. That's where we are now. We leave for the summer - REALLY hot and humid, with either no wind at all or hurricanes.
San Carlos looks to be a fine hurricane hole. Small, snug bays and protected marinas. There are many fine, somewhat protected bays along the Baja side,
remote and lightly used. How much protection you'd have depends on the storm of course, but generally you can find a spot with few other vessels. To us that remoteness is the key.
At present a negative Covid-19 test is not required, at least for entry by land or air. Nor is quarantine.
To be honest I cannot say what you'd experience coming in by sea.
Technically, the U.S.-Mexico border is still 'Closed' to non-essential travel, and that 'Closure' has been extended until at least 21 Dec. 2020.
But this is nonsense. You can, and always have been able to, fly into the big Mexican resort communities, no problem at all.
Non-essential (recreational) travel by land (and as I understand it by sea) has been slowed now & then, but never stopped. Thousands of gringos drive down to the Sea of Cortez every week, towing boats, Quads and ATV's to play in the desert and on the beaches. They are packing in now for the long Thanksgiving weekend. So like everything in Mexico, it's flexible and subject to astonishing and arbitrary change.
Of course you're far enough out that it'll most likely be totally different when you arrive. But generally speaking Mexico is one of the more 'open' places to travel. Precautions - mask-wearing, temperature taking, etc. is more restrictive here than in the States. At least in theory and usually that holds true. Probably more info on this single subject than you wanted but I'll just throw it out there for anyone that is interested.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 10:42   #17

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

From following various sources over the years, it seems to me (and not just my own opinion) that Port Captains on the West Coast of Mexico have a more relaxed attitude that their eastern counterparts. I don't think you'll have any problem clearing in from Chile as long as you have your exit clearance, no matter the final destination officially listed.

You won't need a "Captain's License" in Mexico. I never was asked for any Captain's licenses anywhere in Mexico or Central America (and I don't have one). But you will need liability insurance for any marina in Mexico.

Nobody mentioned Puerto Vallarta, which would be my choice for landfall and port of entry from Chile if I wanted to avoid the Tehuantepec and head to Cortez without seeing the "Mexican Riviera". From Marina Vallarta, the marine supply, boatyard, groceries and banks are within walking distance and Port Captain, big box stores a short bus ride. Its' a touristy harbor with lots of good food! Good bus service to downtown and the whole area is very safe for tourists (as is most of the West Coast).

After you finish the formalities and shopping there is a very nice free and huge anchorage and another marina just a few miles away at La Cruz.

If you do make landfall at Puerto Vallarta you will miss some of the best anchorages, IMHO, on the West Coast as they are just south of Vallarta in the Mexican Riviera, but I do not think there are any ports of entry north of the Tehuantepec other than Acapulco with possible exception of Puerto Angel.

Many will tell you to keep away from Acapulco but they do have a friendly Port Captain's office. We have spent a couple weeks there over the years and had no problems. There is no anchoring near town, you'll have to med tie in the surgy marina or take a mooring buoy of questionable quality at a good price, with shore boat service provided. A cab ride is needed to go anywhere useful.

You got the info about Cabo San Lucas already. As long as you are passing close by, I would not miss staying there or in the nearby marina at San Jose del Cabo a few days for the scenery and good food downtown - an easy walk from the Cabo harbor.

For hurricanes in the Sea of Cortez, there is Puerto Escondido about halfway north from La Paz, or the marinas in La Paz. La Paz had a hurricane 3 years ago but there were no major problems with well-secured boats. If you need a haulout or dry storage in La Paz, see Talleres Navales Berkowich. La Paz is a pleasant town with all the amenities in walking distance, and a fully protected anchorage (pay a couple bucks a day to the Port Authority).
Old 24-11-2020, 06:32   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

wondering when did puerto vallarta become port of entry?
it is not on the official list of ports of entry nor does pv have the necessary banjercito for poe status.
as puerto vallarta is not a port of entry it was not mentioned. itis only ports of entry which are a concern to the original poster, not ancillary ports which are not set up as ports of entry.
pv is a great place to visit after checking into mexico in a port of entry, as required by mexico. the requirement is first port of entry which is ensenada in north and chiapas in south.
i wish the original poster best of good luck and smooth sailing. do read noonsite's words on mexico entry.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 07:47   #19

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Ports of Entry from Noonsite:

Old 24-11-2020, 09:51   #20

and the FIRST AVAILABLE PORT OF ENTRY for a northbound yacht is chiapas... from north is ensenada..
here is a mexico list and regulations. for mexico you may want to download the pdf and read at your convenience... i do notice noonsite doesnot emphasize the FIRST AVAILABLE port of entry....

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/vancouv...s/pdf/boat.pdf

you may want to read this paragraph from the mexican official brochure....
CLEARING INTO MEXICO FOR THE FIRST TIME
A vessel must clear-in when entering Mexico at the first
official port of entry.
The clear-in process is as follows:
a. Complete the Crew List Document
b. Go to the immigration office and get the Crew List properly
stamped and have FMMs (Forma Migratoria Multiple) issued
for all passengers
c. Go to the Port Captain’s Office with the completed form to
pay the Clear-In Fee and have the document duly authorized
and stamped. In some ports you may be required to pay a
Port Use Fee with the API (Port Administrator).
Old 24-11-2020, 09:54   #21

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Yes, your first stop in Mexico must be a port of entry. It can be any port of entry.
Old 24-11-2020, 18:24   #22

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
and the FIRST AVAILABLE PORT OF ENTRY for a northbound yacht is chiapas... from north is ensenada..
here is a mexico list and regulations. for mexico you may want to download the pdf and read at your convenience... i do notice noonsite doesnot emphasize the FIRST AVAILABLE port of entry....

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/vancouv...s/pdf/boat.pdf

you may want to read this paragraph from the mexican official brochure....
CLEARING INTO MEXICO FOR THE FIRST TIME
A vessel must clear-in when entering Mexico at the first
official port of entry.
The clear-in process is as follows:
a. Complete the Crew List Document
b. Go to the immigration office and get the Crew List properly
stamped and have FMMs (Forma Migratoria Multiple) issued
for all passengers
c. Go to the Port Captain’s Office with the completed form to
pay the Clear-In Fee and have the document duly authorized
and stamped. In some ports you may be required to pay a
Port Use Fee with the API (Port Administrator).

Zee, all due respect but I think you misinterpret the wording "first official port of entry". To me that does not mean from any particular direction, it just means the first port you enter must be a POE. As long as you have a good log showing your offshore position from Chile to Mexico, any official POE should be perfectly acceptable. BUT

But I was in error assuming Puerto Angel was POE. In that case, I recommend Zihuatenejo. Super place and not to be missed, in any case.
Old 25-11-2020, 02:10   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Zee, all due respect but I think you misinterpret the wording "first official port of entry". To me that does not mean from any particular direction, it just means the first port you enter must be a POE. As long as you have a good log showing your offshore position from Chile to Mexico, any official POE should be perfectly acceptable. BUT

But I was in error assuming Puerto Angel was POE. In that case, I recommend Zihuatenejo. Super place and not to be missed, in any case.
When I was delivering, I checked into Mexico in Acapulco Port of Entry twice. Acapulco is more or less midway along Mexico's Pacific coastline of roughly 2000 nms, well past several other Mexican Ports of Entry. In neither case was there a question how this could be the vessels first landing in Mexico.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 03:09   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

^^ I went straight from SF to Cabo--skipped all the Ensenada to Cabo coast. Log showed (as if they cared to ask) that I'd been at sea since SF. No biggie. Surely they don't expect you to creep into the country only from either end--otherwise there wouldn't be ports of entry along the mid-coast. Check in at the first port in which you land. If it's not an official port of entry, the port captain will still be tickled pink that you thought he was important enough to talk to, and will send you to the next place.
Old 25-11-2020, 05:14   #25

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

Thanks everyone for the great replies and information. I think we'll aim to make landfall in Puerto Vallarta or La Paz, clear in, pick up a cruising guide, and head up into the sea of Cortez for the hurricane season. Barra de Navidad would be another destination option, but we'd like to stay mostly out of marinas, so maybe not.

Which is an easier port to navigate and clear in La Paz or puert Vallarta or Mazatlan?
DawnTreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 07:02   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post

depending on capitanias mood, first poe coming south is ensenada and la paz entry was challenged by some fishermen who bypassed ensenada and were fined. interpret mexican laws as you see fit and find what they mean not what you interpret.
Old 25-11-2020, 07:29   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Note that the rules changed a few years ago so if experiences cited were from some time ago they may no longer be accurate. When doing the Baja Haha a few years ago the Port Captain in Ensenada said that all boats southbound were required to check into Ensenada as that was the first POE. He said you could check out from many ports. He said the Haha cruisers were given an exemption as we did not stop in Ensenada and did check in at Cabo San Lucas. While I believe he may have been wrong I'd call the Port Captain at your intended destination to determine how they interpret the "nearest port of entry". There are a number of great ports, several of which I would have little concern during hurricane season if you were to stay with your boat. Insurance has gotten much tougher to get lately so make sure you can get it during hurricane season. I could not. You will need Mexican liability insurance if you stop at virtually any marina. It is not the same as your US insurance, but is easy to get and not expensive.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 07:57   #28

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnTreader View Post
Thanks everyone for the great replies and information. I think we'll aim to make landfall in Puerto Vallarta or La Paz, clear in, pick up a cruising guide, and head up into the sea of Cortez for the hurricane season. Barra de Navidad would be another destination option, but we'd like to stay mostly out of marinas, so maybe not.

Which is an easier port to navigate and clear in La Paz or puert Vallarta or Mazatlan?
Cruising guides: I never saw the Blue Latitude guides (the best!) for sale in La Paz or Mazatlan. Hopefully/perhaps they are now.

You might check with La Paz Cruisers Supply in La Paz: info@lapazcruiserssupply.com

Hopefully someone else here on this forum can give you a similar contact for Puerto Vallarta or La Cruz.

Wherever: You may have to arrange to get them sent to you once you figure out where you will land.

La Paz: The entrance channel, while narrow, is very well/clearly marked. Further out (eg San Lorenzo channel), the whole area of Bahia de La Paz is now well charted by a new detailed chart. Navionics (surprisingly) has this new chart covered. Even further, the route from Cabo Frailes up Cerralvo Channel is only roughly charted (well enough for transit, but no details near land: this is where Blue Latitude guides excel).
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 08:15   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

The link to Blue Latitude Press

https://www.bluelatitudepress.com/bl_buy.html
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 08:36   #30

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

Interesting considerations regarding nearest port of entry. Since we would be arriving in Mexican waters from well offshore and nearly perpendicular to the coast, the nearest port of entry is a moving target dependent on where we decide to close the coast.
DawnTreader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, sail