Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2023, 00:03   #1

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'
Baja & The Sea of Cortez 2023?

I am currently in Alaska cruising, will be back in Washington in August. planning to sail from Washington to Cali, then to do the Baja HaHa this year. Once we get to LaPaz I am unsure which way to go.

Still have some projects to finish out, one of which will be building a new dinghy. Also I need to pull my mast down and go through the rig, make the swap from stainless cable to double braid on the running rigging, and install new wind instruments. This is not going to be able to be done in Cali before heading south on the HaHa, there just will not be enough time.

I have heard it is difficult getting parts in Mexico, and that there are some other issues there as well.

There are a few options that exist to me, the first of which is that I know there are several boat yards further north in the Sea of Cortez where I could fly back up to WA and bring my truck and tools down, so that is an option I am considering.

The other is sailing to Panama, then up to Texas where I have friends and resources (and one of the best damn Thai restaurants in the world) available to me.

The thought exists of making that run and then continuing across possibly even running up and down the east coast before stepping out on the big ocean to cross to Tahiti, Fiji and finally wind up in the Philippines, Thailand and Japan.

The other option that exists to me is sailing from Mexico to Peru, then working my way back up to Colombia and Panama before heading to Texas which is on my wish list for places to visit.

Wanted to get insight from those of you who have done boat work in any of these places. Trying to figure out what the right path is going to be for me to ensure the boat is ready for blue water crossings well away from land.

Which will include a new pair of head sails, a roller furler, a stack pack, and so on.

Wondering what options exist out there to me for places to do this down south?
Old 29-06-2023, 14:16   #2

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'
Re: Baja & The Sea of Cortez 2023?

Also curious about bringing supplies back from the USA to Mexico, I could drive my truck down there and use it to run back up to Arizona to get what I couldn't in Mexico.

Tags
baja, sea of cortez