Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2021, 17:40   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Can you recommend a good haulout in SE Alaska

Our plan is to head up to SE Alaska as soon as the border opens, hopefully not too late this year. Would like to leave boat on the hard over winter, collect her in the spring.

Would appreciate any recommendations of a boatyard close to a town with decent connections and boatie supplies. We are 44' LOA, about 12 tons.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 19:25   #2

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria
Re: Can you recommend a good haulout in SE Alaska

That was my plan for this year.
Would like to leave boat up there over winter.
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 08:15   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41

Border not likely to open before July, possibly even September. But all is really up-in-the-air.

Depends on the "variants" and rate of vaccinations. Discussions are just beginning (this week!) here in Canada about "vaccination passports" for international travel (i.e., into Canada). So get your shots....
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 08:50   #4

Boat: Tayana 37

Yes, timing will be affected by many things. September might not be the end of the world. Boat has to sit somewhere.

Hopefully I will be able to find a yard, book tentatively, and all will be sorted by kindness... to quote Bonnie Henry.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 09:16   #5

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Hi foojin,

My understanding is that Wrangell is a pretty good place to haul out for the winter in SE AK. I have not done so myself, but have talked to a few who have.

Check Canada's website to understand how to travel to SE AK if the border remains closed to the extent it is presently. This is how I and some cruising friends plan to go north in May.

Here's the link - read the section Transit through Canadian waters, and make sure you expand the bullets on mandatory masks, anchoring etc.:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr.../border#waters

My cruising buddy, who lives in Sidney BC, spoke on 2/10/2021 with a CBSA person in Victoria. She said the rules for transiting through BC waters to SE AK are very much as Canada's website describes under Transit through Canadian waters, though they could change of course. It seems likely we may have to show a recent negative COVID test, for example.

Some additional items CBSA mentioned on the phone:

If you plan to transit to through BC waters to SE AK, make a written plan for your trip, including where you plan to anchor each night, where you will stop for fuel, and how you will stay isolated while in BC. CBSA assumes a six-knot boat to estimate how many days it would take, so there's no need to be in a great hurry.

Bring enough food/supplies (things that are allowed into BC - no potatoes, only so much alcohol....) to make it though BC to Ketchikan. Or, make arrangements with one of your fuel stops like Port McNeill to go shopping for you and deliver supplies to you at the fuel dock. You may not stay at a marina, or go shopping yourself. Don't stop at any small native communities like Klemtu or Hartley Bay.

Check into Canada in person at a CBSA office (Sidney, Victoria, Nanaimo, for examples) and provide them your written plan. After checking in, you do not need to call in to stop for fuel or to anchor.

Anchoring each night, follow your plan, as weather etc permits, until you cross into SE AK. Then call CBSA to check out of BC.

I think I have represented it fairly well, but I may have forgotten or mis-stated something. You certainly will have to check the rules for yourself.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 20:18   #6

Boat: Trlåren 31

Wrangell would be my choice. They have pretty fair services there now. Ketchikan has a private haulout at Refuge Cove and more services but they'll put you up on 55 gal drums instead of boat stands. Sitka has a yard at that could haul you out but I'm not too familiar with it.

Wrangell also has the best (read least %*^#@tty!) weather in the area.

Non-optional (essential) travel only through BC for now.
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, men