Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2021, 05:43   #31

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel
Re: Focused “What Marina” Thread: Florida East Coast

Re Cracker Boy quote, things may have changed since 2019 when I was there last but I think you are quoting CBBW in Riviera Beach NOT Ft Pierce.
Ft P does NOT store boats, charge for electricity etc. I was addressing DYI work on your boat while hauled out NOT storage. Live Aborad was $10 a day.
Also, I do have a 44' steel monohull, not a monster Cat which I admit might change charge format.
Old 27-10-2021, 05:57   #32

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Makes sense. The work constraint is the biggest concern in my mind. If it weren't for that, I'd say go north and just plan to work on the boat during the warm enough months, then go RV-ing for a few months to avoid boat burnout while you wait for the warm weather to return.
I’m definitely going north. The goal of the work this winter is to do the following:

1) 6ft extension on rig
2) install now tube and seagull striker
3) install chain plates
4) fiddle with steering and auto helm to get working better
5) fiddle with kick up rudders to get working better
6) new engine mounts
7) new main entry cabin doors
8) clean up and get organized and liveable for long trips.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2021, 05:57   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Re Cracker Boy quote, things may have changed since 2019 when I was there last but I think you are quoting CBBW in Riviera Beach NOT Ft Pierce.
Ft P does NOT store boats, charge for electricity etc. I was addressing DYI work on your boat while hauled out NOT storage. Live Aborad was $10 a day.
Also, I do have a 44' steel monohull, not a monster Cat which I admit might change charge format.
They said they other cracker boy can’t haul my boat.
Old 27-10-2021, 05:59   #34
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
They said they other cracker boy can’t haul my boat.

They told me no liveaboards in the Riviera Beach Cracker Boy
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2021, 07:48   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
They told me no liveaboards in the Riviera Beach Cracker Boy
That too. No parking there overnight
Old 27-10-2021, 07:54   #36

This is getting tricky. I need to finish that list and a few other things this winter so I CAN move the boat north where things are a bit cheaper.
Old 27-10-2021, 17:06   #37

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
This is getting tricky. I need to finish that list and a few other things this winter so I CAN move the boat north where things are a bit cheaper.
I would be looking for an anchoring spot on the Eastern half of the Okeechobee waterway near a commercial establishment that would allow overnight parking. That establishment would hopefully sell marine supplies or be near one. What you really need to do is some scouting. I am assuming your boat can motor at this point.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2021, 22:32   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
I would be looking for an anchoring spot on the Eastern half of the Okeechobee waterway near a commercial establishment that would allow overnight parking. That establishment would hopefully sell marine supplies or be near one. What you really need to do is some scouting. I am assuming your boat can motor at this point.
I think this might be what it’s coming down to. The marina rates seem to have skyrocketed this year.

It’s such a shame because it’s going to take several times longer to do the boat now without a dock.
Old 27-10-2021, 22:37   #39

Quote:
I think this might be what it’s coming down to. The marina rates seem to have skyrocketed this year.

It’s such a shame because it’s going to take several times longer to do the boat now without a dock.
Can’t you run it up on the bank, that is one of the beauties of a cat ? Gang plank and you’re go to go !
Old 27-10-2021, 22:54   #40

Smile Re: Focused “What Marina” Thread: Florida East Coast

Quote:
Can’t you run it up on the bank, that is one of the beauties of a cat ? Gang plank and you’re go to go !
DEFINITELY!

But as of yet, no one has shared a spot that I could do that.

Of course, it would also have to be a “pond” where no other boats pass by to avoid smashing it into the ground and destroying it too. This would work just fine if I had a place to do it.
Old 27-10-2021, 22:57   #41

Quote:
DEFINITELY!

But as of yet, no one has shared a spot that I could do that.

Of course, it would also have to be a “pond” where no other boats pass by to avoid smashing it into the ground and destroying it too. This would work just fine if I had a place to do it.
That’s where the “ scouting” comes in.
Old 27-10-2021, 23:16   #42

Quote:
That’s where the “ scouting” comes in.
Ok, but I don’t think I can just squat on some land can I?

I’d love to, but it doesn’t seem sustainable to working on the boat. Someone could come around at any time to make me move.

If I could only find a little tiny patch of shoreline land no one wants to even buy somewhere in rural Florida, this would work.
Old 27-10-2021, 23:36   #43

Quote:
Ok, but I don’t think I can just squat on some land can I?

I’d love to, but it doesn’t seem sustainable to working on the boat. Someone could come around at any time to make me move.

If I could only find a little tiny patch of shoreline land no one wants to even buy somewhere in rural Florida, this would work.
I don’t think you have driven in this area before, miles and miles of river and canal. As long as you are not hindering navigation I don’t think anyone cares. You would need to live on the boat or be parked by it for security. Also I believe there are some dyi yards in Indiantown that are reasonable. You could probably find the same sort of thing on the St. John’s river further north. There is a lot of off the beaten path river coastline in Florida.
Old 28-10-2021, 04:01   #44

Quote:
I don’t think you have driven in this area before, miles and miles of river and canal. As long as you are not hindering navigation I don’t think anyone cares. You would need to live on the boat or be parked by it for security. Also I believe there are some dyi yards in Indiantown that are reasonable. You could probably find the same sort of thing on the St. John’s river further north. There is a lot of off the beaten path river coastline in Florida.

I’m extremely familiar with the area you’re speaking of, except maybe not out there by Stuart. The land along the St Lucie / Okeechobee canal is mostly owned by this big, commercial land holding company that bought everything up and put up gates everywhere. The land looks empty and free, but it’s all owned by this company that doesn’t hesitate to call the cops on you if you trespass and press charges.

There are some little jogs in the banks of the canal, but otherwise 60ft power boats running at semi planing speed go by all day long. That would destroy my boat.

That area isn’t good for what you’re talking about.

Now maybe way up the St Johns is. That’s a possibility. I’ve been looking for marinas you there, but came up short. Maybe it’s time to try something else up there. I do have a line into a maybe out by Stuart.

Anyone know of anything in the St Lucie river area?

Indiantown can’t haul my boat and has no slips.

I definitely have a “can do” attitude here, but looking for some input, even in private messages if nobody wants to blow up their spot.

I’ll keep looking around the less populated areas. I can also get in comfortably in 3-4ft of water.
Old 28-10-2021, 07:07   #45

Quote:
I’m extremely familiar with the area you’re speaking of, except maybe not out there by Stuart. The land along the St Lucie / Okeechobee canal is mostly owned by this big, commercial land holding company that bought everything up and put up gates everywhere. The land looks empty and free, but it’s all owned by this company that doesn’t hesitate to call the cops on you if you trespass and press charges.

There are some little jogs in the banks of the canal, but otherwise 60ft power boats running at semi planing speed go by all day long. That would destroy my boat.

That area isn’t good for what you’re talking about.

Now maybe way up the St Johns is. That’s a possibility. I’ve been looking for marinas you there, but came up short. Maybe it’s time to try something else up there. I do have a line into a maybe out by Stuart.

Anyone know of anything in the St Lucie river area?

Indiantown can’t haul my boat and has no slips.

I definitely have a “can do” attitude here, but looking for some input, even in private messages if nobody wants to blow up their spot.

I’ll keep looking around the less populated areas. I can also get in comfortably in 3-4ft of water.
I’ve noticed that you put a lot of parameters around everything you want to do. It makes it very easy to shoot down ideas that might just really work for you. The “ Big Companies “ don’t own the waterway and as I said if you are not impeding marine traffic you can anchor or park on any suitable bank.

Tags
east coast, florida