Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2020, 11:35   #61
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac
Re: Let's talk cruising in British Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedX View Post
Hi there!

I have a two-year plan to leave Massachusetts to base myself in another place, and Vancouver/Victoria is on the short list. (I've read the thread comparing the two.)

On this forum, informed posters have given diametrically opposed assessments of cruising in the Pacific Northwest.

Some say best cruising ever.

Others say rains all the time, no wind in summer.

A sailing club in Victoria says "nearly Mediterranean climate in summer." (?!)

What say you?

About me, to handle the inevitable "depends on what you want" responses: I'll be solo most of the time, just like I am now; I like gunkholing and being surrounded by nothing but water equally. What looks great about this region is that you have it all. Looks like there are lots of intense currents; then again there's a reason ASA 105 is taught using the charts from places where I sail.

I think a voyage around Vancouver Island sounds like a great project. But so does exploring every island, town, city and harbor. I have U.S. and Canada citizenship, assuming that matters. I sail a Bavaria 37, which I will be leaving behind. Shopping for something sturdier and easier to solo is part of the plan; this query is not about which boat to buy. I have a short list of those, too.

Thanks for your thoughts!
I have been sailing the Pacific Northwest since 1995 from South Puget Sound to Alaska (much of it solo); have not seen it all and will go back again. If cruising is your thing and you love mountains, trees, clean waters, and quiet it can all be found here.

I can remember a solo voyage to Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands) in my previous boat many years ago...the weather was so bad that the Canadians were even complaining but it remains one of my most enjoyable and memorable trips.

From the US border to Desolation Sound there is a fair amount of traffic. North of that is gets remote quickly and more beautiful. North of Vancouver Island it gets into wilderness and in certain areas you may not see another boat all day...those are the places I like. Actually, on my 2019 voyage to Alaska I think I saw more traffic there than in British Columbia.

Victoria and Vancouver are two side of the same beautiful coin. I just asked my wife which she prefers and she picked Victoria. Victoria is more old world and Vancouver is modern Canada. There is something magical about Vancouver Island that you just don't find anywhere else.

There is plenty of racing, if you are into that, with Swiftsure and Vic-Maui out of Victoria. The VanIsle 360 is a circumnavigation of Vancouver Island; 14 days and 600nm with overnight stops. Also the usual weekend stuff. Oh yes, lets not forget the Race to Alaska (R2AK) if you dare.

Given your choices, you can't go wrong. So much more beyond sailing no one here has even mentioned.

I have a saying..."God lives in the hearts of men but his mailing address is British Colombia."

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 12:56   #62

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

I've been through Vancouver city on several occassions (for skiing - not sailing) t's an amazing city, well worth spending a few days to check out. Everything from the breweries below the bridge to the main mall built under the street that stretches' for several blocks to Stanley island and the aquarium with the Beluga whales. While it was a bit damp, I don't recall any non stop rain or overly dark days.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 13:06   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I live in Vancouver.

The older Vancouver...
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 13:10   #64

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
That will be fun .

I'm following this one because I too see myself coming to the BC coast eventually. The weather makes it more conducive for my lifestyle, and the cruising ground is amazing. I really do expect to move there someday.

But it will be hard to top Newfoundland for wonder, remoteness, uncrowded cruising, and sheer beauty.
We really need to arrange a boat trade for one season before you move out west...I would love to see Nfld again but from the water... maybe once you hit Trinity area
Old 16-12-2020, 13:20   #65

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Rapids: This word means a section of fast-moving, shallow river that has rocks just under the surface where I'm from. I'm assuming from the charts and guides that this means "long narrow passage where timing tides is a must and where the entrance is likely choppy depending on wind direction," kind of like the 10-mile stretch out of the Cape Cod Canal into Buzzards Bay in the prevailing southwesterly. Or are they worse? (The ASA 105 focuses on the lower cape, the bay, and the Elizabeth Islands, for their navigational complexity, but it sounds like you could teach a good navigation class using the Georgia Strait and those inlets.)...

Ah, Canada.
Skookumchuk rapids... yes, you can take your boat through at slack but woe unto he who doesn't...

Granted they are the worst but there a few others that have standing waves and more than enough with currents and whirlpools to make any thought of maintaining control of a sailboat a forlorn hope.
Old 16-12-2020, 13:23   #66

Boat: 1984 Truant 37

One important consideration as well is where to locate yourself (and your mistress, aka your boat).

We have our boat in Nanaimo, which has all the marine services and creature comforts you may need and want, and also it is a 15 minute hydroplane ride from downtown Vancouver. The location of Nanaimo is great for either sailing South (Gulf Islands) or North (Desolation Sound) and you have the advantages of the smaller location and two ferry terminals to the mainland.

The VAN 360 (around Vancouver Island regatta) happens every other year, it may be something for you to consider.

And weather is better than it sounds, with golf year around, lots of trails to stretch your legs after sailing, and skiing nearby.

All the best with your move!
lmezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 13:43   #67

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Some of the tidal "rapids" come with rocks just under the surface (Surge Narrows), some with a straight "plume" (Hole in the Wall), some with huge whirlpools(the Dents), and then there's Seymour Narrows. It has underwater obstruction (tips of rocks were dynamited off in the 50's), a plume that has to bend on a flood, whirlpools, and commercial traffic including Alaska-bound cruise liners. Here's a video of a sailboat thinking they can go north against a flow;
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 13:59   #68

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
I have been sailing the Pacific Northwest since 1995 from South Puget Sound to Alaska (much of it solo); have not seen it all and will go back again. If cruising is your thing and you love mountains, trees, clean waters, and quiet it can all be found here.

I can remember a solo voyage to Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands) in my previous boat many years ago...the weather was so bad that the Canadians were even complaining but it remains one of my most enjoyable and memorable trips.

From the US border to Desolation Sound there is a fair amount of traffic. North of that is gets remote quickly and more beautiful. North of Vancouver Island it gets into wilderness and in certain areas you may not see another boat all day...those are the places I like. Actually, on my 2019 voyage to Alaska I think I saw more traffic there than in British Columbia.

Victoria and Vancouver are two side of the same beautiful coin. I just asked my wife which she prefers and she picked Victoria. Victoria is more old world and Vancouver is modern Canada. There is something magical about Vancouver Island that you just don't find anywhere else.

There is plenty of racing, if you are into that, with Swiftsure and Vic-Maui out of Victoria. The VanIsle 360 is a circumnavigation of Vancouver Island; 14 days and 600nm with overnight stops. Also the usual weekend stuff. Oh yes, lets not forget the Race to Alaska (R2AK) if you dare.

Given your choices, you can't go wrong. So much more beyond sailing no one here has even mentioned.

I have a saying..."God lives in the hearts of men but his mailing address is British Colombia."

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
Canadians have the best sayings. Thanks!
Old 16-12-2020, 14:09   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
Some of the tidal "rapids" come with rocks just under the surface (Surge Narrows), some with a straight "plume" (Hole in the Wall), some with huge whirlpools(the Dents), and then there's Seymour Narrows. It has underwater obstruction (tips of rocks were dynamited off in the 50's), a plume that has to bend on a flood, whirlpools, and commercial traffic including Alaska-bound cruise liners. Here's a video of a sailboat thinking they can go north against a flow;
Gah! That is painful to watch. You see that in Woods Hole from time to time when someone decides to discard the laws of physics to make it through the hole against the tide, but the closest analogy here, the Cape Cod canal, is closed to against-the-tide traffic.

Imezzano, nice intel! Thanks!

MJH: BC sounds like a better Maine.

One thing about me, I don't like racing (though I do it in my mind in the Soling), and I'm never in a hurry. Sounds like not being in a hurry is the right attitude in the PNW.
Old 16-12-2020, 14:14   #70

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Gah! That is painful to watch. You see that in Woods Hole from time to time when someone decides to discard the laws of physics to make it through the hole against the tide, but the closest analogy here, the Cape Cod canal, is closed to against-the-tide traffic.

Imezzano, nice intel! Thanks!

MJH: BC sounds like a better Maine.

One thing about me, I don't like racing (though I do it in my mind in the Soling), and I'm never in a hurry. Sounds like not being in a hurry is the right attitude in the PNW.

According to the government tide tables, Seymour Narrows was flooding at 14.7 knots and ebbing at 13 yesterday.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 14:20   #71

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
I've been to both, sailed both areas (a lot more in BC). BOTH are spectacular - but different - and I've never had to dodge an iceberg here!
Yes, me too. Agree, on all counts

Although icebergs really are pretty spectacular.
Old 16-12-2020, 14:26   #72

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
We really need to arrange a boat trade for one season before you move out west...I would love to see Nfld again but from the water... maybe once you hit Trinity area

Hmmm, that's an intriguing idea. We should have done it this year .
Old 16-12-2020, 14:29   #73

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

We sailed there for two seasons - '94 on a trailerable 28' cat-ketch, and in '96 on our FP Antigua 37 we bought from the Seattle FP dealer after 3 years in charter - summers only. Very telling of the wind(less) conditions, engines had 1100 hrs on them. And a diesel-fired heater and full cockpit enclosure!

Both times, we left only in Oct. when frost/ice on the docks. With the 28', we never got out of the lovely Gulf Is. But the cat had "legs" and we could motor 7kn at about 80% max revs. We got above the Rapids, Desolation Sound, Princess Louisa Inlet, and way up to Alert Bay @ 50 North. All-in-all, little sailing, though we did have a glorious 30 mile spin. reach back down Johnstone Straight, and a few sails in Georgia Bay with NW'ers. But mainly, when the wind came up it was out of the SE with rain. The first one of these, on the 28, caught us at midnight anchored in one of Sucia's multiple little finger bays wide open to SE with many miles of fetch, and moving to the other side was a literal nightmare. N to W exposure anchorages only after that!

Our current 33' power boat would be a great fit for the PNW, particularly with both of us 80 and 5 years past our last sailboat, and we're considering having it trucked up from SF Bay next year, the Fates willing...
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 14:30   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
According to the government tide tables, Seymour Narrows was flooding at 14.7 knots and ebbing at 13 yesterday.
In. Sane.
Old 16-12-2020, 14:37   #75

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
It’s another left coast thing you will hear YVR all the time....
Hmmm... we only hear YVR when referring specifically to airport/air travel.

Hey NWDIVER, I see you have a Landfall 38... we had one 2001-2008 ("Dancer")
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
british columbia, columbia, cruising