Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2020, 14:51   #76

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Let's talk cruising in British Columbia

OK, let's bring up the term "Pacific Northwest" (PNW)...

British Columbians do NOT call it (BC waters) the PNW.

British Columbia is what we call it (more recently, the ocean are in the southern portion of BC is called the Salish Sea. (Even "Lotusland".) But not PNW.

(Actually, BC would be in the SOUTHwest of Canada. And we are in the Eastern Pacific.)
sv_pelagia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 14:52   #77

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

I can't find it now but Somebody was talking about bears and watching them from their pilothouse. A few years ago we were less than five feet from a momma kermode bear (or Spirit Bear) and her cubs. It was up on Gribbell Island near Hartley Bay. Kermodes are a rare genetic variation of a black bear that renders them white. Not a polar bear and not an albino. I've got some great pictures. I wish I could figure out how to include them here.

But here's a link to some stock photos:

https://www.nathab.com/blog/spirit-b...e-and-harmony/
Scorpius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 14:59   #78

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
I can't find it now but Somebody was talking about bears and watching them from their pilothouse. A few years ago we were less than five feet from a momma kermode bear (or Spirit Bear) and her cubs. It was up on Gribbell Island near Hartley Bay. Kermodes are a rare genetic variation of a black bear that renders them white. Not a polar bear and not an albino. I've got some great pictures. I wish I could figure out how to include them here.

Been North of Cape Caution 4x... got lucky once (1st trip) and anchored when this Kermode showed up (Clothes Bay, near Klemtu) Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-12-16_02-58-43.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	228779
sv_pelagia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 15:01   #79

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

The area is gorgeous and only gets better the further north you go. Without a doubt, make sure you go to Process Luisa Inlet. Magical.

You have a short list of boats, good and good luck. As mentioned earlier, heat is not important, it is critical. It gets really cold. I'm in Portland OR on the Columbia and frankly, I hate the 9 months of winter but it is what it is. It's also a bit colder down here then up there. I live aboard and when it snows it's cold and on the Columbia river edges I have seen ice.

Besides heat, I strongly suggest shelter. Shelter being a totally enclosed cockpit.
Cpt Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 15:21   #80

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post

British Columbia is what we call it (more recently, the ocean are in the southern portion of BC is called the Salish Sea. (Even "Lotusland".) But not PNW.

(Actually, BC would be in the SOUTHwest of Canada. And we are in the Eastern Pacific.)
Well if you want to be pedantic about it, it's actually the Northeast corner of the Pacific.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 15:23   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
I lived there for years and never heard that term; it was simply the Gulf Islands full stop. According to Wiki, it's a newish addition to the lexicon:
I get the terminology from the BC Ferry schedule, is geographically correct in cartography? Who knows.

According to the Ferry Schedule, The islands south of Nanaimo are Southern and those North of Nanaimo are Northern.

Bowen Gambier and Keats have there own schedule.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 15:30   #82

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

Quote:

I owe myself a dollar.
Old 16-12-2020, 15:37   #83

Quote:

Oh, I want to see your shots, and recently figured out how to post pictures!

When you are responding to a message (or posting one), scroll down to the green bar with "Additional options".. The second option under it says "Manage attachments."

When you click on that, a window opens with five "choose file" buttons. You click on a button and it will allow you to search your computer for the image you want to upload (it needs to be in a proper format like jpg; there's a size limit but I haven't noticed that it actually makes a difference). Once you've selected your photo or photos, you go back to the box and look for "upload" in the lower right hand corner of the box.

You have to click "upload", and wait for the pictures to upload and click back to your message. To see if they uploaded, hit "preview post" under your message (next to submit reply) and you'll see how it looks.

Using my new skillz, I've uploaded a screenshot of the "manage attachments" window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 6.35.39 PM.png
Views:	45
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	228782  
Old 16-12-2020, 15:39   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedX View Post

When you are responding to a message (or posting one), scroll down to the green bar with "Additional options".. The second option under it says "Manage attachments."

When you click on that, a window opens with five buttons. You click on a button and it will allow you to search your computer for the image you want to upload (it needs to be in a proper format like jpg/ Once you've selected your photo or photos, look for "upload" in the lower right hand corner of the box.

You have to click that, and wait for the pictures to upload and click back to your message. To see if they uploaded, hit "preview post" under your message (next to submit reply) and you'll see how it looks.

I've uploaded a screenshot of the "manage attachments" window.

Yeah. I've done all that but it says my pictures are too big. Maybe I'll try again.
Old 16-12-2020, 15:41   #85

Quote:
Been North of Cape Caution 4x... got lucky once (1st trip) and anchored when this Kermode showed up (Clothes Bay, near Klemtu) Attachment 228779
Beyond cool.
Old 16-12-2020, 15:42   #86

Let's try again with the Kermode Bear pictures shall we? As I said before, at times they were five feet away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	059_59 - Compressed.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	473.3 KB
ID:	228783   Click image for larger version

Name:	188_188_ thumbnai.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	228784  

Old 16-12-2020, 15:43   #87

Quote:
Yeah. I've done all that but it says my pictures are too big. Maybe I'll try again.
Put the picture on your desktop and click on it. If you have a mac anyway, it opens as a preview picture. Under tools, click "adjust size." Make it like 4" long or tall and it will automatically adjust the other dimension. Save, and the photo will now be the right size.
Old 16-12-2020, 15:44   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedX View Post

When you click on that, a window opens with five "choose file" buttons. You click on a button and it will allow you to search your computer for the image you want to upload (it needs to be in a proper format like jpg; there's a size limit but I haven't noticed that it actually makes a difference). Once you've selected your photo or photos, you go back to the box and look for "upload" in the lower right hand corner of the box.

You have to click "upload", and wait for the pictures to upload and click back to your message. To see if they uploaded, hit "preview post" under your message (next to submit reply) and you'll see how it looks.

Using my new skillz, I've uploaded a screenshot of the "manage attachments" window.

Hey! It worked this time! Thanks!
Old 16-12-2020, 15:46   #89

Quote:
Let's try again with the Kermode Bear pictures shall we? As I said before, at times they were five feet away.
So this variation doesn't influence the color of the offspring? Unlike, say, blue eyes? So she's white and the cub is as black as any black bear? In. Sane.

(Newsflash: I'm not a biologist or zoologist)

BC ( s/v Pelagia) really sells itself
Old 16-12-2020, 15:50   #90

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
I get the terminology from the BC Ferry schedule, is geographically correct in cartography? Who knows.

According to the Ferry Schedule, The islands south of Nanaimo are Southern and those North of Nanaimo are Northern.

Bowen Gambier and Keats have there own schedule.
Not sure I'd trust the Ferry Corp with anything as important as terminology

Anyone notice there's no gulf there? Curious about how they came to be called the Gulf Islands?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
british columbia, columbia, cruising