Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2022, 11:12   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 49
Marina's or Moorings CT, RI, LI/NY for HR49

Hi all,

This is my first season with a recently acquired HR49 with a stern extension making her LOA around 54'. Beam just under 15' and draft 7'6"

She is in Somerset MA on the hard but will splash in a month. I had planned to do an early season cruise but having already spent 6 weeks on a boat this year, have to modify those ambitions.

Consequently, I'm looking for a safe and reasonably priced place to keep her for the month of May near Newport so that I can shake her down and find any issues etc.

After that, I'll be looking for a marina or mooring somewhere within the triangle of Stamford CT, Newport RI and Montauk NY.

I do have a mooring ball at my YC on Gardiner's Bay, NY (eastern Long Island) but will want something more secure so that I don't have to drive from Darien, where I live, to eastern LI every time there is a big squall or storm developing in the region.

Surprisingly, Safe Harbor Marina's at Pilot's Point and in Stamford are telling me that they are full for my size. I did check out the new marina in Bridgeport but don't love the location. It's pretty exposed to a Southerly and the neighborhood seems a bit sketchy.

Have tried using Marina.com and other my Navionics application to try to find marinas but the info is often incomplete. IMHO, one really needs direct experience to know which harbors are secure and accessible for a boat my size.

Feel free to PM/DM me if you'd rather not reply publicly.

Thanks, Michael
Student_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 11:21   #2

Boat: Sabre 34
Re: Marina's or Moorings CT, RI, LI/NY for HR49

Try Huntington or Northport, plenty of water for your draft and I have seen bigger boats than yours in their slips and on moorings.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, mooring