Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2021, 12:35   #1

Moved to Orlando - East or West Coast Marina?

Greetings all - new to the forum but was just relocated to Orlando from San Diego. Plan on purchasing a sailboat in the next few months and curious about opinions on selecting a marina on the East vs. West coast of Florida within relative easy driving distance. Points of consideration is ability for day sailing as well as things to do around the Marina. I've looked at a few marinas around Cape Canaveral, Merritt Island and Melbourne, but it seems like a hassle maneuvering up or down the ICW to get to an inlet, but its also a closer drive to where I live in Orlando (near the airport). West coast seems like double the drive time but am not familiar with that part of Florida so thanks in advance for any insights...
CUTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 12:49   #2

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: Moved to Orlando - East or West Coast Marina?

Welcome,
I would contact Rose Ann at St Augustine Sailing at https://www.sta-sail.com/
I live in Orlando and checked out St Pete, Ft Lauderdale and St Aug. Chose them and have not looked back. I became a member of Sailtime Dec 1st 2018 on a monohull for 10 months and then she helped me purchase a Lagoon 380 in Oct 2019 that I now have in Sailtime.
I could not be any happier with every aspect and highly recommend.
Cheers,
James
PS Let me know if you need help with a home mortgage as well as i have worked for same company since 2000.
jamestaggart007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 13:09   #3

Indeed you "between".

Directly to the east there is putzing on the Indian River. with few inlets to the ocean.

To the west a longish drive towards Tampa and day sailing the bay.

Never been keen on traveling the ditch and seeing backyards for day trips, or worse lengthy voyages along the coast.

Maybe somewhere near New Smyrna Beach so as to be close to the Ponce de Leon Inlet.

One could alternate coasts each year to get a bit more variety. If you get tired of The Seas with Nemo and Friends at Disney.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 13:55   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

You are 2 hours from both St Petersburg and St Augustine. I am based in St Petersburg and have delivered boats to and been through St Augustine a few times a year.

Arrive St Petersburg and great bay sailing and some of the best restaurants in the state. Good marinas although hard to get a slip.

Arrive St Augustine 1-2 really good restaurants that I have found and some meh places. The inlet can be gnarly. BUT once outside you are in the ocean well west of the GS. The St Augustine Muni marina has a screaming current and can be a real test of seamanship to dock at.

Both have a strong group of racers.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 18:03   #5

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Nearest place for you would be Eau Gallie, good sailing in deep water within the Indian River north of the causeway, plus you can motor south in ICW for great overnight anchorages near Grant. If you dont mind the drive, then Tampa Bay will be your next option for sailing. Or stay at one for the first year, then move to the other in year two. The relocation cruise from East to West Coast of Florida is a must do.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 07:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Nearest place for you would be Eau Gallie, good sailing in deep water within the Indian River north of the causeway, plus you can motor south in ICW for great overnight anchorages near Grant. If you dont mind the drive, then Tampa Bay will be your next option for sailing. Or stay at one for the first year, then move to the other in year two. The relocation cruise from East to West Coast of Florida is a must do.
Thanks...was actually looking at Eau Gallie YC as an option for the amenities.
Old 19-01-2021, 07:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
You are 2 hours from both St Petersburg and St Augustine. I am based in St Petersburg and have delivered boats to and been through St Augustine a few times a year.

Arrive St Petersburg and great bay sailing and some of the best restaurants in the state. Good marinas although hard to get a slip.

Arrive St Augustine 1-2 really good restaurants that I have found and some meh places. The inlet can be gnarly. BUT once outside you are in the ocean well west of the GS. The St Augustine Muni marina has a screaming current and can be a real test of seamanship to dock at.

Both have a strong group of racers.
Thanks - hadn't considered St. Augustine but you're right...same drive as Tampa.
Old 19-01-2021, 08:00   #8

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUTiger View Post
Greetings all - new to the forum but was just relocated to Orlando from San Diego. Plan on purchasing a sailboat in the next few months and curious about opinions on selecting a marina on the East vs. West coast of Florida within relative easy driving distance. Points of consideration is ability for day sailing as well as things to do around the Marina. I've looked at a few marinas around Cape Canaveral, Merritt Island and Melbourne, but it seems like a hassle maneuvering up or down the ICW to get to an inlet, but its also a closer drive to where I live in Orlando (near the airport). West coast seems like double the drive time but am not familiar with that part of Florida so thanks in advance for any insights...
Supposedly there's decent sailing on the river there. From that area to get outside you need to go north to the Canaveral locks or south to Ft. Pierce Inlet.

I strongly urge you to stay away from Telemar Bay marina based on the total cluster fruque and high cost of a recent haulout there.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 08:02   #9

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 32

Before I retired I lived in Orlando and kept my boat in Merritt Island. Very convenient. Easy drive both directions with never any traffic, great daysailing on the river, the easiest inlet on the entire eastern seaboard if you want to go play in the Atlantic, and lots of marinas to choose from depending on what location (river or ocean) is your highest preference.

FWIW.
bigdogandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 08:16   #10
cdy

I live in Orlando and keep a boat in Indian Harbor Beach - just north of Melbourne Beach - Titusville to Melbourne is your best bet - I live near Seaworld and its 65 miles to my boat. St Pete - no way do I want to deal with I-4 each way to my boat - getting past the theme parks area outside of Orlando can be a bear - then getting through Tampa and finally negioating traffic in St Pete - If you only go once a month - OK - but not a trip you want to make frequently - one other option if you want to be close to an inlet - look at Ft Pierce area - its 90 miles straight down the Turnpike ( about $10 tolls each way) but some nice marinas
cdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 08:16   #11

If your living near airport , so does my son , Lake Margret ,
I have done both ,
Your welcome too send me a personal email, I can help you , NC
Clearwater / St Pete is beautiful , But the traffic on I-4 west too Tampa will suck the life out of U , Same day drive is too much , believe its around 125 miles . IF your planning sleeping aboard few nights then its okay timing the traffic , As far as marina on west coast , others will chime in
EAST COAST , Along Port Canaveral number of marinas , great area except nothing is the same when I used too be there , LOCK into ICW , port has
direct access into ocean , Always something too do , Few marinas ,
There is a yacht club ( mostly sail ) and a number of wet slip marinas
Many fisherman moved from Cape area too FT Pierce , closer too fishing and cleaner water ,
St Augustine is also nice , I only cruised staying at State Marina , a number of marinas in that area
ICW has a number , Harbor Town , Titusville number ,
There is a FREE publication I pu at Surplus unlimited in Daytona , great store for anything nautical , called Mariner , gives lots of marinas repair east & west coast , their site
marinepubdl@yahoo.com maybe you can get something on line
TUFF too find something when your not familiar with area ,
Good luck with your search
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 09:04   #12

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

St Pete almost 2 hrs drive, traffic can add a lot of time, Melborne via B-line 1 hr. I like Tampa Bay more for day sails than taking the inlet to the Atlantic but if you are limited to one day trips I would go east. If you can sleep on board and take the weekend I think west is far better option.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 10:25   #13

I live in Tampa and there is Davis Island Yacht Club and Tampa Sailing Squadron if you are interested in joining. I belong to TSS. There is also Little Harbor Marina South of us. I know there is a waiting list for TSS and I would assume for DIYC...

Where in Orlando would you be located because that makes the decision on which way to go because Orlando traffic can be a real biotch...
mholtzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 11:19   #14

Live in Lake Nona, which is super convenient to the East Coast obviously but to get to the West Coast is a bit more of a slog. Hoping to spend weekends on the boat so a weekly trip to the west coast dealing with I4 is something to consider. That being said, I ran a marina in Southern California and we had a lot of tenants from Arizona, Utah and Nevada that made the trek on weekends so maybe a couple hours isnt so bad? Really it comes down to what each weekend on the boat is going to look like...
Old 19-01-2021, 12:41   #15

Boat: Orion 34

From Orlando, 40 minutes down the 528 will take you to Merritt Island/Cape Canaveral. Harbortown Marina on Merritt Island is one of the best hurricane holes you'll find, and is minutes east of the ICW/Indian River for protected sailing, or minutes west of Canaveral Locks to get you on the Atlantic. Alternatively, Cape Marina, within the locks, will give you even faster ocean access. As others have warned, I4 past the theme parks is unpleasant as traffic grinds to a halt as people with marginal driving ability attempt to cross 3 lanes of traffic so they don't miss their exit.
OceanFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
west coast