Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2022, 09:07   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
New pass or big Sarasota pass?

I just got dumped out into the Gulf of Mexico because a bridge in Venice is broken. So, no choice but to continue outside. My boat is not prepared for that. It is not prepared for bad weather but thankfully it’s settled. I don’t know how to get back in though. This was not part of my planning today. I would like to go in at Sarasota. Which of those inlets is better?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2022, 09:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter
Re: New pass or big Sarasota pass?

Local knowledge is always the best information. I recommend that when you get near Big Sarasota Pass, call on your VHF for information. Good luck.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2022, 10:07   #3

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Unfortunately I've got no local knowledge of the area, so limited advice to give. Looking at the charts and comments on ActiveCaptain, it looks like New Pass is likely pretty badly shoaled and would be questionable to attempt. Big Sarasota Pass looks like a better option, but still not great.

Satellite view makes New Pass look pretty bad. Big Sarasota looks better, but still iffy. If you're heading North, it looks like the next options are Longboat pass (looks a bit iffy, but workable) or to run all the way to Tampa Bay (looks easy if you go in north of Passage Key). Even Tampa Bay is only an extra 21 - 22nm until you're inside compared to ducking in at Big Sarasota Pass. Assuming you're motoring at a worst case of 6 kts, that's an extra 3.5 or so hours on the outside. Not too bad if the weather is behaving.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2022, 10:12   #4

Yeah, it’s going to be dark though. I won’t be able to make it all the way up into Tampa Bay to anywhere reasonable before nightfall.

So I’ve got to go into one of these inlets. I was looking at maybe following these.

https://www.sarasotayachtclub.org/vi...iving-by-water

My boat is not ready for extended time in open water. It’s a construction project. Nothing is tied down. It’s all loose. Things will get severely damaged in rough conditions. I can’t chance that at all.

42 mins from the entrance to big Sarasota pass.

Was hoping some of our local Sarasota folks might suggest one or the other. But things I’m looking at online are saying new pass is worse. Because it doesn’t have the markers done by the yacht club. Nobody is accounting for the shoaling on that one.
Old 17-12-2022, 11:02   #5

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

If you have a tow boat or sea tow membership, give them a call. They deal with the inlets on a regular basis and can give any relevant info needed.
That's pretty much the main reason we have a membership. Easy access to local knowledge
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2022, 11:57   #6

It was good!

I definitely suggest using those way points in my link if anyone else tries to go through there.

There are breakers all around those waypoints.
Old 09-11-2023, 18:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
It was good!

I definitely suggest using those way points in my link if anyone else tries to go through there.

There are breakers all around those waypoints.
So which pass did you end up going in and where are the way points/link youre talking about. Im just curious. We're planning a trip down that way but haven't ventured south of pinellas yet. I guess I will probably start another post, just figure i'd ask. Thanks
Old 09-11-2023, 18:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan Z View Post
So which pass did you end up going in and where are the way points/link youre talking about. Im just curious. We're planning a trip down that way but haven't ventured south of pinellas yet. I guess I will probably start another post, just figure i'd ask. Thanks
Big Sarasota.

It has waypoints for the ever shifting channel maintained by this fine group of people. Waypoints to navigate the channel are on their website.

https://www.sarasotayachtclub.org/ab...iving-by-water

Piece o cake

Tags
sarasota