Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2024, 14:07   #1

Boat: Moody 34
No good anchorages left

I’m cruising in the Long Island sound currently. It seems like most of the good anchorages are being filled up completely with mooring balls. Just recently, for example, we sailed into Glen Cove which was marked on several different charts I use (Navionics and MapTech Cruising Guides) but, when I got here I found the entire area filled with moorings from three different yacht clubs. Two of which have no space for transients, like me. The third one charged me $76 per night. The other two have open balls and, I never see people on the boats that are there. But they refused to let me know on one. They are just for storage, it seems.

Now, I’m not here to just complain about people who think they own the water. My purpose is to find some better places to research my destinations. Having better, more current information will eliminate much of my aggravation. My question is this, what resources do you use to research your destinations? Paper books are bound to be dated, by their nature. Navionics’ community notes are sparse and dated. Is Noonsite.com have more than just check in procedures for different customs offices? Is it worth the price for coastal cruising the east coast of the US?
Star Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2024, 14:32   #2

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'
Re: No good anchorages left

You could go to the next harbor over - Port Washington. Large anchorage area, free (for one night) moorings (if you get there soon enough!) and a great water taxi service!

Plenty of anchoring space in Oyster Bay, Port Jefferson, 3-Mile Harbor, just to name a few. Yes, moorings are taking over some popular spots - but they haven't claimed 'em all yet

We've found Active Captain data (via AquaMap) to be reasonably good, though nothing beats talking to someone who was just there!

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2024, 14:33   #3

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: No good anchorages left

Starfire,
You must learn to create your own anchorages based on depth, protection, and bottom characteristics that are outside of charted anchorages. When we had our boat on Lake Michigan near Chicago, there were no real anchorages outside of the string of marinas that stretched to the north end of the lake. However, there were anchoring possibilities based on weather conditions/prevailing winds that could be used in small bays/depressions along the shore with good holding. Also, we utilized inlets into harbors that had reasonable but limited possibilities for anchoring outside the channel and away from the marinas/moorings. If you weren't creative, you paid for a slip. So, my advice to you is to look closely at your charts and experiment. It may not be the most scenic spot with legendary holding but it will be a safe and reliable alternative. As an aside, through our travels throughout the Great Lakes, Bahamas, Virgin Islands, and South Florida we never follow the Herd unless there is no other safe alternative. However, you're not setting up camp . . . you're just anchoring overnight. Good luck!
Rognvald

Tags
anchor, anchorages