Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2023, 15:47   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Places to Live and/0r Sail in Florida?

Chotu,
For sure, there is no such thing as a safe hurricane haven for a boat anywhere in Florida. It's a throw of the dice, as simple as that.
Even central Florida has been exposed to historical flooding events associated from hurricane rain.
Playing the odds though, I think NE Florida has dodged the direct hit bullet on more than one occasion.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 04:15   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lex View Post
I've lived in Florida since 1980 and have owned 5 registered boats during probably 30 of those 42 years. Never suffered any hurricane damage to any of my boats -- or to my homes, either. Like I said, you need to put it in perspective.

Bob

Anecdotal data can be misleading.

I lived in Florida for 10 years, and lost two boats to hurricanes. One in Key West (Irma), and one in the Panhandle (Sally). Both insured and fully covered. But that's why boat insurance is spendy. Hurricanes can, and should be, a factor in your planning. There are lots of statistics to look at, and they will tell you the odds. In the Panhandle, my estimate was that a hurricane will hit within 50 miles of you every 10 years. I think it's a fair assumption, and part of your risk profile. Be prepared.

Like they say, YMMV.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 07:28   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Brunswick, GA is reputed to be a hurricane haven and many east coast boats opt to spend hurricane season there. It's not far up the coast from J'ville. 1.5 hours by car, more or less.

Whether or not it is really a hurricane haven, I could not say. It's quite a popular marina. The marina is set back from the ocean somewhat, up a creek, and seems like a stout and sturdy setup. Massive concrete piles, concrete docks, etc.

Regardless, it's an option to consider for east coast boaters. You'd need to make your reservation early, as the place fills up quick.

It is accessible by ICW and also has a wide dredged ship channel heading out to the ocean.

It's about a 12 hour sail from J'ville to Brunswick.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, sail