Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2023, 03:28   #61

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Stops to sleep between Hatteras and Chesapeake Bay Entrance?

Lolyou can walk along the bottom.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 03:39   #62

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Lolyou can walk along the bottom.
That’s what I’ve been trying to say on this thread. Lol My God.

Everyone’s picturing the Kraken and rounding the horn for a 150 mile, 24hr trip.

You can just walk home if you have a problem. Ha ha

You might get your shoes wet. Your shorts probably would stay dry however.

Even if I launched the inflatable as a life raft for this perilous journey (ha ha ha) I would have to lift the outboard leg up and row in because it’s too shallow.

Feel like I should join the YouTube crowd. I can take videos of all this super crazy stuff I am doing. Lots of clicks and everyone will be having heart palpitations.

Only problem is I would have to do lots of really creative movements of the camera and special effects to make it seem really scary. And creative narration about the “Graveyard of the Atlantic “ When in reality it’s just like a relaxing serene situation.

Here’s a picture of what’s in a lot of peoples minds:

Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 03:42   #63

But, you have daggerboards right?
Old 20-06-2023, 03:48   #64

Quote:
But, you have daggerboards right?
Yes. Why? Do you think I can whack the Kraken with one of them? Give it a good smash on the noggin?

No. But seriously. Why are you asking?
Old 20-06-2023, 03:50   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Yes. Why? Do you think I can whack the Kraken with one of them? Give it a good smash on the noggin?

No. But seriously. Why are you asking?
Because it seems to me that with fixed keels that depth is scary.

That's why I was asking.
Old 20-06-2023, 03:53   #66

Quote:
Because it seems to me that with fixed keels that draft is scary.

That's why I was asking.
Yeah. 24 inches isn’t typically the draft of a catamaran this size with keels. In fact it never is.

I think they are more around the 36 inch draft. I could be wrong. But somewhere around there.

To navigate properly with good steerage instead of relying on the Outboards for steerage I do need 36 inches also. Just because my rudders are kind of longer. And once they do kick up, rudder steerage is lost.

The kick up feature on mine is mostly if you hit something by mistake so you don’t sustain any damage. And it’s also to allow you to pull them up out of the water and keep them really clean.

Some boats have an even better system that I am pretty jealous of. I wish I knew about it before I built mine.

In the stern of the boat they have this rotating drum. The drum has a slit in it that is shaped just like the NACA foil profile of the rudder.

The rudder just slides down into the slit and out into the water below the drum. So you can lift the rudder partially out and reduce the depth of water necessary to steer.

Brilliant design. Mine are a little bit less elegant to put it mildly.

Here’s a picture.

Old 20-06-2023, 04:11   #67

Boat: Ken Hankinson designed 33' cutter, Lady Sophie. Custom C-Flex planking Hull.

I'm in Little Creek next to the Navy. There are no anchorages in Little Creek. Also check the depths before going into the Lynnhaven area. Willoughby Bay is your best choice.
lady sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 08:01   #68

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

If your air draft is less than 65' you're better off in the ditch. Its too risky to go outside in a slow boat with no rig. Clean your bottom in any case. Hospital Point in Norfolk is a good anchrage. Get yourself a copy of The Waterways Guide. It has lots of good recommendations.
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 08:19   #69

Rudee Inlet.. Lake Wellesley at the south end of Virginia Beach.👍👍👍
1Jazzsailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 10:00   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtriad View Post
If your air draft is less than 65' you're better off in the ditch. Its too risky to go outside in a slow boat with no rig. Clean your bottom in any case. Hospital Point in Norfolk is a good anchrage. Get yourself a copy of The Waterways Guide. It has lots of good recommendations.

Oy…. And I say that because you clearly didn’t read the thread.

That’s funny. To put it into local terms for you: I go from Onset, Massachusetts to Downeast Maine in one shot and have been for well over 20 years.

What’s the difference again?

Oh wait. I remember the difference. This one actually has places you can stop and rest. Once you start the Downeast passage, you are committed.

I go right by you (far offshore) nearly every year.

So long as the Kraken doesn’t get me I’ll be good.
Old 20-06-2023, 10:01   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Jazzsailor1 View Post
Rudee Inlet.. Lake Wellesley at the south end of Virginia Beach.������
It’s on the list. Definitely! Seems reasonable if unoccupied

Oregon Inlet also.

The southern end of both have spots I could spend the night in the right conditions.
Old 20-06-2023, 11:11   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
To put it into local terms for you: I go from Onset, Massachusetts to Downeast Maine in one shot and have been for well over 20 years.

What’s the difference again?

Are you joking?

Onset to Penobscot Bay is a great first overnight trip for novices. I've been doing it for 50 years. If the weather turns you can stop at Gloucester, P-town, Isle of Shoals, Portsmouth, Portland, Boothbay, Seguin and many others.

The Pilgrims went to Maine in the Mayflower's open shallop to beg for fish at Damariscove Island. It had oars (and a tiny sail).

Rounding Hatteras is something else entirely. 1000 ships have been lost there. It is called the Graveyard of the Atlantic although Sable Island claims the same name. Either deserves respect. Two massive ocean currents meet there (Labrador and GulfStream)

There's no easy place to stop. The inlets all have bars that move constantly, current can top 6 knots, buoys that are often off station or missing entirely, and they face prevailing seas that are coming from 1000's of miles. You're kidding yourself if you think you can take a slow, underpowered boat through the currents of the Oregon Inlet like it's a trip though Vineyard Sound.

That's the difference.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 11:36   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Are you joking?

Onset to Penobscot Bay is a great first overnight trip for novices. I've been doing it for 50 years. If the weather turns you can stop at Gloucester, P-town, Isle of Shoals, Portsmouth, Portland, Boothbay, Seguin and many others.

The Pilgrims went to Maine in the Mayflower's open shallop to beg for fish at Damariscove Island. It had oars (and a tiny sail).

Rounding Hatteras is something else entirely. 1000 ships have been lost there. It is called the Graveyard of the Atlantic although Sable Island claims the same name. Either deserves respect. Two massive ocean currents meet there (Labrador and GulfStream)

There's no easy place to stop. The inlets all have bars that move constantly, current can top 6 knots, buoys that are often off station or missing entirely, and they face prevailing seas that are coming from 1000's of miles. You're kidding yourself if you think you can take a slow, underpowered boat through the currents of the Oregon Inlet like it's a trip though Vineyard Sound.

That's the difference.

Yeah. Right.

These currents are far less than the currents I grew up sailing and motoring in.

The reason it’s the graveyard of the Atlantic is that idiots don’t go wide. People land on the sand bars.

Also my boat is not under powered. It’s under propped. Try to notice the difference between these two things if your mind can wrap around it still.

I didn’t respond to your last post because it was stupid. I responded, but deleted it. Thinking of the mods. But you just keep piling it on don’t you? Waiting and waiting for a response. Well here it is.

You’ve been sailing from Massachusetts to Maine for 50 years? exaggerate much or are you 75 years old? 80? Still out here?

Clearly you’re failing brain doesn’t understand the geography of the onset to Downeast Maine trip anyway. You’re making it sound like bailing out in Portland is any different than bailing out at Matinicus rock. It’s the same thing. It’s not a bail out. It’s the same distance basically. I guess you don’t understand that. Maybe you forgot because you do it so much and have been doing it for 50 years. Lol

I look at the Oregon inlet every other day. It’s nothing.

You guys are just literally scared of everything. I don’t imagine you or many others even take your boat out from the dock.

Just get out of my thread already. I didn’t ask for your opinion. I asked where there was a good spot to stop. I didn’t ask for all of your fears.

You can be terrified in your own living room. Leave me out of it.
Old 20-06-2023, 11:43   #74

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Jazzsailor1 View Post
Rudee Inlet.. Lake Wellesley at the south end of Virginia Beach.👍👍👍
If he gets that far, he may as well come on North a few more miles and enter the Bay.

No need to enter that narrow inlet when you are so close to the Bay Entrance.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 11:46   #75

Sometimes I wonder why I even use this forum. Almost every thread turns into a nightmare. I might switch to a different forum. I’m so tired of some of you. How can you be so terrified of everything in life? Makes the forum really lose interest . I’m sorry but it does.

Just like that power boat thread the other day. Guy wants to take his power boat from the West Coast of Florida to southeast Florida or something. The guy didn’t have the Terminology down. The vocabulary. Everyone was terrified. He turned up the next day and it was fine. What is wrong with everyone here? I am getting tired of it.

Just sitting home doing nothing terrified of everything.

I wish there was a forum with people that did things that could converse about these types of things in a more direct and normal manner without all of the fear and people wetting their pants over nothing.

I can see why a lot of people who actually do things don’t use this forum very often.

I’m taking a break. Self imposed ban.

Tags
chesapeake bay