Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2023, 11:35   #91

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Stops to sleep between Hatteras and Chesapeake Bay Entrance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtriad View Post
Been there done that too. Just be sure to go east of Roanoke Island.
OK. That’s exactly what the question is about.

I’m looking at going west of Roanoke. Why not go west?

That’s the chart for it right above. It shows a 6.9 controlling depth channel in 10ft of water. Which makes not much sense. Lol

Why are you suggesting it’s really important to go to the east of Roanoke?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 11:39   #92

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

The 6.9 foot controlling depth of the channel might just mean that's what they maintain the channel to. It doesn't exclude some portions from being deeper if they naturally stay deeper than that.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 11:40   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
The 6.9 foot controlling depth of the channel might just mean that's what they maintain the channel to. It doesn't exclude some portions from being deeper if they naturally stay deeper than that.

Yes. What I am talking about is why the heck do they have a 6.9 foot controlling depth when all of the depths around it are deeper than that? All of them. Not just a couple.
Old 22-06-2023, 14:04   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Sometimes I wonder why I even use this forum. Almost every thread turns into a nightmare. I might switch to a different forum. I’m so tired of some of you. How can you be so terrified of everything in life? Makes the forum really lose interest . I’m sorry but it does.

Just like that power boat thread the other day. Guy wants to take his power boat from the West Coast of Florida to southeast Florida or something. The guy didn’t have the Terminology down. The vocabulary. Everyone was terrified. He turned up the next day and it was fine. What is wrong with everyone here? I am getting tired of it.

Just sitting home doing nothing terrified of everything.

I wish there was a forum with people that did things that could converse about these types of things in a more direct and normal manner without all of the fear and people wetting their pants over nothing.

I can see why a lot of people who actually do things don’t use this forum very often.

I’m taking a break. Self imposed ban.
You ask a question.....you get people's opinions. It's very basic. Some people will agree with you, some people will not. Just because people have differing opinions doesn't mean they're not entitled to have them.

Take all the opinions, but please don't take someone's contrary opinion as a personal attack on you or your ideas. That is what kills the idea of a forum. There is little use or benefit to a 'Mutual Admiration Society'. Just look at the "The Emperor's New Clothes" as an extreme example.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 14:22   #95

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Yes. What I am talking about is why the heck do they have a 6.9 foot controlling depth when all of the depths around it are deeper than that? All of them. Not just a couple.
Surveys from 1950 probably.
Old 22-06-2023, 14:30   #96

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
There are a couple places in Hampton Roads like that (like inlet to Little Creek). I think contracts get written for controlled depth channels and the charts written and then one year a big storm comes in and changes the bottom through surges but the controlled depth contract and marking remain.

Yeah it doesn't make much sense but I have seen it in multiple places. The channel at Little Creek is controlled depth 21 feet but the depth to either side and the actual channel is 22 to 28 ft. It doesn't get shallower until well past the controlled depth marks. Maybe 30 years ago it was shallower? Lynnhaven Inlet also has a 4 foot controlled depth channel but most of it is 10 to 20 feet deep on both side although at least there to starboard there is one shallow spot outside the channel so maybe they have to dredge part of it it to maintain that controlled depth.

If someone has a better explanation though I am all ears because it was something that always bugs me when I look at the charts.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2023, 03:37   #97

Boat: Cape Dory 36

Lived on The Outer Banks pretty much all my life. Local Knowledge here...There are no safe inlets along this part of the coast until you get to Ocracoke,and even that is risky. Consider Oregon Inlet as inpassable . The Charter Fleet uses this inlet and they have big boats, big motors and they can get in trouble in a heartbeat. Don't ever think You can follow a Charter boat in at Oregon Inlet You will endanger Yourself and others in the lineup. You must have local knowledge and plenty of extra horsepower and is a white-knuckle experience on all but the most benign days. If You must sleep get 30 miles Offshore and Heave-To .
OBXSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2023, 05:08   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXSkipper View Post
Lived on The Outer Banks pretty much all my life. Local Knowledge here...There are no safe inlets along this part of the coast until you get to Ocracoke,and even that is risky. Consider Oregon Inlet as inpassable . The Charter Fleet uses this inlet and they have big boats, big motors and they can get in trouble in a heartbeat. Don't ever think You can follow a Charter boat in at Oregon Inlet You will endanger Yourself and others in the lineup. You must have local knowledge and plenty of extra horsepower and is a white-knuckle experience on all but the most benign days. If You must sleep get 30 miles Offshore and Heave-To .
Are you sure you live here? Because I’m talking to people that go back theee generations and that all run the boats here.

Not only that, there are about 40 sport fishers located at the Oregon Inlet right by the Coast Guard station. They go out every single weekend out that inlet. Every weekend.

As a matter of fact this last weekend I thought it was remarkable because the docks were absolutely empty on Saturday or Sunday when I went by. Empty. Every single boat was out fishing that day. I couldn’t believe it. They all went out the inlet.

I have no idea what people are talking about.

The Oregon inlet is used continuously. Every single day all the time. Not just by a charter boat or two. Those things anchor or hold station right next to it. They do fishing on the south western corner of that bridge.

Are you sure you live here?
Old 23-06-2023, 05:11   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
You ask a question.....you get people's opinions. It's very basic. Some people will agree with you, some people will not. Just because people have differing opinions doesn't mean they're not entitled to have them.

Take all the opinions, but please don't take someone's contrary opinion as a personal attack on you or your ideas. That is what kills the idea of a forum. There is little use or benefit to a 'Mutual Admiration Society'. Just look at the "The Emperor's New Clothes" as an extreme example.
But here’s the thing. Fear is contagious.

If you got a bunch of old men sitting in their living room wetting their pants about an overnight trip go on and on and on about how terrifying it is, you start to actually believe it yourself a little bit. Because me, people reading, and even people new at this to second-guess themselves in a wrong and fearful way.

Kind of like when you hesitate yielding on a highway. As you come up the ramp. If you sit there and hesitate, you’re going to cause an accident. This is the same kind of thing. If you put fear and hesitation into someone’s mind just because you are at home imagining things, that’s dangerous. That’s dangerous for Mariners. They may make a bad decision. When really the decision should be made based on the conditions.

It does no one any good to have everybody nervous when they are running their boat. It’s not an emotional process. It’s a process of logic. Weather. Sea state. Bottom conditions. Fear has no place and can lead to bad outcomes.

I mean some of the people here are so terrified of everything with boats that I don’t know why they even have one.
Maybe it’s the thrill for them.

I mean, look. I’m going to put it up here again. This is 7 miles outside of Hatteras Inlet. And they are going in and out of Hatteras inlet in this picture. This is the water that everybody said I would basically die in if I chose to go outside.

It’s really important not to have mis-information like that on the forum as well.

We have the guy above saying that the Oregon Inlet is impassable when literally every weekend there’s about 300 boats going in and out of it.

Stuff is just crazy. It’s not like people who actually are here. They’re not even here.

Old 23-06-2023, 07:53   #100

Yep I live here, tried to send ya a PM to invite ya over for a beer Chotu, hit me with a PM and I'll give ya my phone number and address and ya can swing by. My instructions to the OP was to consider it impassable. I qualified my post by saying The Charter Fleet uses that inlet, period . My advice to anyone who is looking for a place to come into after a long trip down the coast in a slow boat is to not consider that inlet a place to seek refuge. Hit me with a PM and I'll send ya my info ....
Old 23-06-2023, 08:10   #101
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Chotu,

Best bet is the get a cruising guide which will list numerous spots to put down the hook.

Likewise for the Chesapeake Bay, which has countless anchorage spots.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2023, 08:42   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Chotu,

Best bet is the get a cruising guide which will list numerous spots to put down the hook.

Likewise for the Chesapeake Bay, which has countless anchorage spots.
I already have all of them. I answered that above. Lol

I have the paper ones from your area all the way to Canada. The whole thing.

But they go out of date very quickly. So waterway guide is much better. That’s what I use.
Old 23-06-2023, 08:43   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXSkipper View Post
Yep I live here, tried to send ya a PM to invite ya over for a beer Chotu, hit me with a PM and I'll give ya my phone number and address and ya can swing by. My instructions to the OP was to consider it impassable. I qualified my post by saying The Charter Fleet uses that inlet, period . My advice to anyone who is looking for a place to come into after a long trip down the coast in a slow boat is to not consider that inlet a place to seek refuge. Hit me with a PM and I'll send ya my info ....
Sounds good! I’ll clear out the inbox
Old 23-06-2023, 09:23   #104

Not sure if this link will work but this is the kind of event we see here on the Outer Banks each year whether it's goin thru the inlet or just an unfortunate series of events
https://www.obxtoday.com/pair-of-boa...nd-towed-away/

https://islandfreepress.org/outer-ba...teras-village/
Old 24-06-2023, 06:09   #105

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

Quote:
OK. That’s exactly what the question is about.

I’m looking at going west of Roanoke. Why not go west?

That’s the chart for it right above. It shows a 6.9 controlling depth channel in 10ft of water. Which makes not much sense. Lol

Why are you suggesting it’s really important to go to the east of Roanoke?
I just checked my old Chartkit (2007) and it states a controlling height of 65' under the bridge west of Roanoke. Passage looks ok with your mast down.
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay