Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2021, 08:11   #46

Boat: Crowther Custom Performance Cat
Re: Where to keep the boat? Mid-Atlantic

Cape May/Atlantic City of you want access to both along Island Sound and Chesapeake for longer sails. Otherwise, the Delaware Bay is largely barren and this forces you to drive to northern Chesapeake. Others have listed marinas in N Chesapeake. Let me suggest that a bit farther south on Chesapeake offers several additional solutions: more months to use your boat & potential for year round mooring due to slightly warmer climate. The drive would be longer but you may get more months out of the year to sail. If you are a day sailor and prefer shorter car trips, I second Whitehall and Kent Island areas.
JimmyDarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 06:47   #47

Boat: 2005 Beneteau 331
Re: Where to keep the boat? Mid-Atlantic

Going thru a similar process. I live in Yardley, PA.

Last fall I purchased a 2005 Beneteau 331 from G. Winter Sailing Center in Riverside, NJ. Great place and people, highly recommended them.

I can't imagine the Delaware River meeting your needs. But your boat is movable....

I chose Barnegat Bay for this summer season with only a 65 minute drive. But I expect to get bored with the sailing there (grew up in Columbia MD and have sailed the Chesapeake on charters out of Rock Hall).

I am looking between North East River YC, Bohemia, Worton Creek, Fairley Creek, and Rock Hall likely for next season 2022. Strongly agree with others, avoid Havre de Grace with its 2 hour motor thru a narrow channel (5 knt limit). Did that for 3 seasons sailing out of BaySail in HdG. I'd rather drive 30 min more each way to avoid that. Gains 90 min of sail time each way, 3 hrs round trip.

I am fearful of going further south to Annapolis or Harrington Harbor as the drive may become a barrier, but this could all be in my head.

I will follow further to read more knowledgeable folks advice. Best of luck to you.
AdamInYardley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat