Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2022, 18:43   #16

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Australia - GST for offshore yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
How? The AUS rules are that you can only claim for purchases within 60 days of departure - is that what you’ve done? Because as someone spending over a year in Australia with at least another 10 months before departure, there isn’t any way to avoid GST. The only exception is goods under AUD1000 coming in from overseas, and that’s applicable to anyone here.
I live in Au but my boat has been - apart from a spell in NZ in 14/15 - in South America for the last 19 years.
Any kit that I need I simply buy within 2 months of leaving and try and bulk it up to over $300 on each invoice.
Problem that did manifest itself shortly before covid was that - in Melbourne at least - there were issues with getting reciepts stamped on hold baggage before it was checked in - seems too many were dodging the system and just taking stuff home but if you have boat paperwork etc etc they just look at you and put you in the old and stupid bin - stamp it - and carry on. Maybe it was just me.
Old 22-10-2022, 20:08   #17

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Australia - GST for offshore yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
When? These days it’s only within 60 days prior to departure.
Yes, we had that condition too. I said we saved all of our receipts, and turned in a claim, which they allowed some of, other parts, no.

They refunded $2506 in July 2002.

Tags
Australia, offshore, yacht