Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2021, 10:55   #61

Re: Great Barrier Reef condition again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
And so says the king of "do as i say, not as I do".

So nice that some people can carry such a youthful outlook into old age.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 10:58   #62

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
You’ve displayed little knowledge of what it is that these scientists and environmentalists actually preach in favour of some simplistic and punitive actions as though they’re somehow relevant. It’s nothing more than a straw man used to dismiss valid arguments - a rhetoric device.
I refuse to bow at the alter of a false diety. But do feel free to point out the specific gaps in my knowledge of the subject.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 10:59   #63

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
So nice that some people can carry such a youthful outlook into old age.
You do carry it well though.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 12:41   #64

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

For those watching from afar, who hear the 2 sides of the "debate" about the health of the GBR, and don't really know who to pay more attention to, I would suggest you become familiar with Dr. John " Charlie" Veron. He's in Wikipedia and Youtube, so it's really easy.....

Quick summary, Charlie has single handedly been responsible for taxanomically classifying and documenting about 20% of the world's coral species, and most of the GBR corals. Yes, the entire GBR!

And he's done that since 1971 over a lifetime of diving coral reefs, not just studying coral specimens in a lab from a jar collected by others. He's done it himself. Do you comprehend what a massive achievement this is?

I met Charlie in the early !980's when he gave us a talk on coral at our dive club. He is a quiet fellow, very unassuming, but his talk was riveting, and he warned about this thing called coral bleaching which he'd been studying. His passionate love for coral reefs was infectious, and I caught the disease from him that evening. I have dived the GBR since 1974 when I arrived in Oz, from Cooktown to lady Elliot Island, as often as I could manage. There are small pockets of reef that are almost pristine, with the species variety that existed back then, but they are very few and very far in between.

But depressingly, it is fading rapidly, and I fear nothing will halt the decline until the Mauna Loa observatory data CO2 ppm's start to drop. When they have dropped three years in a row, I will try and rekindle some optimism....

https://gml.noaa.gov/ccgg/trends/

So, this is the guy that knows more about the status of the GBR, from personal experience, that anyone I'm aware of. Listen to him.

BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Great Barrier Reef