Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2023, 16:52   #46

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Me again Re Tenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
If people come over to our boat in inflatables on even a slightly choppy day they are invariably damp on arrival.
Same if I see them going in for reprov on a day with a bit of chop
Worse still is they can only manage a couple of bags of groceries so need to do several trips.

We can and have done left the big boat at an island 15nm from the mainland
Motored back in the tender and done a reprov for a couple of months and ran back in 20 knots of wind and associated chop and stayed dry doing it.

That sounds like a problem of their inflatables being too small, or not being a RIB with a deep enough V for good rough water performance. A too-small tinny will suffer the same problems. Capacity and rough water behavior improve dramatically for a small increase in size typically.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2023, 19:26   #47

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
If people come over to our boat in inflatables on even a slightly choppy day they are invariably damp on arrival.
Worse still is they can only manage a couple of bags of groceries so need to do several trips.
Are those people in 4.3m RIBs? or a more normal sized cruising RIB?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2023, 19:39   #48

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Are those people in 4.3m RIBs? or a more normal sized cruising RIB?
Nope, 3m ish RIB as usually used on 40ish ft sailing yachts and cats
I don't think I have ever seen a vessel of that size carrying a 4.3m RIB.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2023, 19:40   #49

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Might be a slightly unfair comparison then, no?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2023, 13:22   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Might be a slightly unfair comparison then, no?
True, but I'd still have a 3m tinny with a solid buoyancy foam collar fitted over a RIB

Advantage being more usable floor space and non deflating
Likely less $$ as well.
Old 21-01-2023, 14:33   #51

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@MicHughV: There is a hazard here in Oz. Since the OP wants to cruise Queensland, and since all crocs here are protected*, the "tinny", an aluminum skiff, is better in some ways:

1) the crocks are disinclined to bite them [too many people report their inflatables getting chomped on beaches]

2) the RIB then becomes much less safe in these waters for the ride back to the mother boat; no gunnels to protect the occupants from the amphibians.

We know RIBs can flip, ours got sideways on a small wave, the gusty wind got under the bow, and upside down it went. It was awkward to deal with, because due to the raised bow when upright, it then tried to dive. And of course, the sailboat wanted to go faster, because the breeze was up, which in turn tried to speed up the sinking process! We had to change directions, lessen sail, and very slowly proceed to the lee provided by some trees on shore, anchor, and then right the dinghy. None of it would have happened if we had had the drogue on the dinghy.

*saltwater crocs, going up to 7 m. long or so (over 21 ft); and the estuarine crocs, a different species, smaller. Both varieties will eat people (Google on "crocodile roll"). Since the authorities disallowed croc hunting, they have spread further south along the coast, as far south at least, as Bribie Island in Moreton Bay. We've never seen the one reported there, but given they can stay submerged for two hours, I suppose that isn't too surprising.

Ann
Old 22-01-2023, 02:40   #52

Boat: Island Packet 40

Plenty of good polys available these days.
Old 22-01-2023, 03:04   #53

Boat: Trophy 2359

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlespeed View Post
Not just bad weather. Large wakes can flip that tender. During a solo transit, ended up between the wakes of two converging ferries over a half mile apart. No way to escape the brute force of one or both wakes. Dinghy flipped, fortunately the dinghy motor was on the cabin sole. Took me over an hour to manhandle the dinghy right side up.
Thanks for your reply single speed. When I put the post up, I was thinking about a say 50 foot trawler but due to the infinite wisdom of people on this site and particular my Australian participants, i am now ...apart from bloody confused..but thinking that a sail vessel will be the answer for what i what i want to do. If i was a multi millionaire...I certainly would go motor cruiser but i m not and a recent separation with the wife of which she did very very well (as usual in Australia), the cost of diesel will be an issue. Fore and Aft has been a geat source of information taking NOTHING from everyone's "pearls of wisdom" Cheers and "stay afloat". Darren
Cruising Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2023, 13:28   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Roo View Post
Thanks for your reply single speed. When I put the post up, I was thinking about a say 50 foot trawler but due to the infinite wisdom of people on this site and particular my Australian participants, i am now ...apart from bloody confused..but thinking that a sail vessel will be the answer for what i what i want to do. If i was a multi millionaire...I certainly would go motor cruiser but i m not
Wow, I'm a multi millionaire and had no idea.

We are from a sailing and boatbuilding background of 40+ years and got into powered vessels because they can work out similar in price but generally offered more comfort.

If comparing like for like, our powered vessel and running costs are a small fraction of what a sailing vessel with comparable comfort levels would cost to both buy and run.
Old 22-01-2023, 14:52   #55

Boat: Volkscruiser

Cruising Roo I will just add to your confusion about boats. I am really not sure what costs more a power boat or yacht to cruise on. Sure, it will feel like more on a power boat when you are regularly filling up with diesel. But for example, in the last 6 months one client of mine paid $20,000 for a new mainsail, one client got some cheap sails for $12,000 and another client paid $28,000 to get his rig refurbished. With yacht rigs they are only insurable for 10 years before you have to replace the standing rigging again. Thats an easy $5000+. With a yacht you are still using and maintaining a diesel engine plus a mast sails etc. I could see an offshore voyaging yacht being cheaper to cruise because you are getting maximum value out of the sails and rigging. But for coastal cruising I am not so sure.
Then resale on a yacht with older sails and rigging compared to a power boat that you have probably only put 2000 hours on an engine if you go around Oz.
Something like this Fairway would be economical and still have good resale when you have finished with her. Not to mention no 36-foot yacht has an interior like a 36-foot power boat.
Cheers
https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...cruiser/285451
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 03:08   #56

Boat: Trophy 2359

Quote:
My wife and I can stand on one side of our wide body dory without tipping.

We have steps at the back

We can and have done left the big boat at an island 15nm from the mainland
Motored back in the tender and done a reprov for a couple of months and ran back in 20 knots of wind and associated chop and stayed dry doing it.

Saying that, a smaller ally tender didn't work for us
To wet, not enough load carrying ability but could have been made a lot better by installing kapten collar
https://boatcollar.com.au/
Agreed and thank you AGAIN my Aussie friend
Cruising Roo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tender