Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2023, 15:48   #1

New Zealand Boat Yard Recommendations

Good day folks

Can anybody give any recommendations (or warnings) for a good boat yard in New Zealand

I would like to haul out there and do some significant overhaul work. As I don’t know anybody there and don’t know the yards, I thought I would ask here

A few musts, and some good to have points

1). Must be able to haul a catamaran
2). Must have good/competent yard workers for fiberglass and wood work.
3). Must be able to store boat on the hard for a number of months while I fly out of the country
4). Good to have the ability to live aboard in the yard for a couple of weeks
5). Good to have the ability to carry out some work myself and bring in outside tradesmen as required.

Any suggestions? Anything I should be aware of in regards to overhaul work in New Zealand?
Sailingallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 16:10   #2

Boat: Lightwave 45
Re: New Zealand Boat Yard Recommendations

I am booked into Norsand in Whangarei next month (not used before). They have very high reputation for all of your requirements
Karanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 16:26   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karanga View Post
I am booked into Norsand in Whangarei next month (not used before). They have very high reputation for all of your requirements
Thank you. I will check them out. Any other advice/recommendations for New Zealand boat yards?
Old 26-02-2023, 17:17   #4

It has been 5 years, but we would heartily second the Norsand recommendation. We hauled our cat there twice, left her there for several months alone, and did a big refit with both our own labor and some yard labor for things not our forte. We lived aboard while in the yard.

They haul (or at least did) on a trailer so have to work around the tides, they do not have nearly the throughput capacity of a Travelift yard, so scheduling both out and in must be done in advance.

Whangarei, for us, was the perfect boat work town, small enough to get around on bikes or foot, large enough to have most things you might need.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 17:30   #5

A third confirmation on the yard, it’s been years since I used it but it was excellent then and I’m sure it still is. There is a Fish and Chips Shop across and down the street….the best. It does rain quite a bit there.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 17:51   #6

Thanks guys. It seems pretty obvious that Norsand is the place to go. I will reach out to them.
Old 24-03-2024, 17:50   #7

Boat: Kaufman 49

I'm in NZ and looking for recommendations on a haul out yard - affordable as possible - How was your experience?
Arcsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2024, 19:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcsurf View Post
I'm in NZ and looking for recommendations on a haul out yard - affordable as possible - How was your experience?
Norsand was reasonable for pricing. Very good people. Allowed live aboard while working on it. I would recommend there
Old 25-03-2024, 00:47   #9

Boat: Outremer 55L

Another very satisfied Norsand customer. We bought our boat while she was stored on the hard there and we subsequently did two big refits in 2018 and 2020 in the yard. Live aboard both times (the second was during Covid lockdown, so did WFH in between boat jobs). The onsite rigger Jerry is very knowledgeable (did our synthetic rig conversion) and any works or experience you can’t find in the yard will be close by in the local industrial park.

The amenities are dated but sufficient. If you want more modern surroundings and sealed surface (Norsand is (was?) gravel) then check out Port Nikau Marine and the hardstand operators at Port Whangarei. No personal experience with either one of those.

If you are not a NZ resident (even if a NZ citizen) then NZ Customs will issue your boat a Temporary Import Exemption (TIE). If you are a couple, get both persons’ names on the form. Make multiple physical copies and carry it with you everywhere - anything you buy for the boat should be GST-exempt. Also make an electronic copy so you can email it. Some retail businesses will only accept the TIE if the person making the purchase is named on it. Whenever you are first talking to any service business ensure you mention that you have a TIE and expect them to exempt GST for all the work they do for you. Some businesses do not like to deal with TIEs, so get that clear before they start any work for you.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, men, New Zealand