Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2019, 17:16   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Durban to Perth under sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Dunno about that.. Did Perth to E Tassie solo on a 30ftr a few years back and if you plan your hops/ports and keep an eye on the systems its no big deal.
But then it could be down to my famous Luck. [emoji3]
But your one of those real sailors, I just move boats around cause I have to get somewhere, if it's cold and possibly rough I try not to go, must be coconut trees is the rule
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 17:32   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

The first thing is THE SEASON.

You want to sail in the 'right' season. Mind the bad storms South in the Southern winter. Mind Indian hurricanes that pass the area as post tropical storms otherwise.

Winter you are passing the ocean at lower latitudes. Summer you can sail in higher latitudes.

If you sail summer to far N, it will be a very very slow passage. As you will get way to close to the High (-s) (which normally are two at a time). You need those lows to propel you forward. Just you do not want all the brute force of a nasty one.

Mind this is a long and difficult passage, taking relevant skills, boat and preparations. Southern Indian has broken many a sailor. It is NOT an easy stroll, at any time of the year.

One of my dreams, to sail from RSA to AUS too. Good luck.

I would be interested in following your preparations and voyage, if you have a blog or any other stuff like that.

Regards,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 18:09   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Durban to Perth under sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
But your one of those real sailors, I just move boats around cause I have to get somewhere, if it's cold and possibly rough I try not to go, must be coconut trees is the rule
Not a lot different to me then.. I move boats around coz I have to as well.. and I dont like the cold either.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 19:06   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

Not Durban. Knysna is the better take off spot.

Let me be somewhat raw: have you crossed any ocean before? Just asking, do not answer if I am one question too far.

Personally, I would not do this as my first crossing.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 14:03   #20

Locals suggested sailing from Mosambique towards Zanzibar. To be more exact to the beach Nungwi, which is the best one there. When I got there with my colleagues I was impressed by the beauty of local landscape (exotic African gardens, brilliant white sand, and beautiful panoramic view. I had been in Kenya and Mosambique before but Zanzibar stands out in the crowd! You should make sure for yourself )) 1 more advice - book an apartment in RIU PALACE ZANZIBAR. It's a great and affordable hotel (about 350$ per two persons a day). Guys in Altezza https://en.altezza.travel/ recommended it. It was great! Really great! If anyone plans to sail there feel free to ask me any questions either here or you can approach me at centix@gmail.com
Centix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 09:26   #21

Bushy

No man, you can't go back to that place. South Africa is such a lekker place! Just look at the RWC Japan!

Rather sail Madagascar Mauritius Seychelles Madagascar coast and Moz coast. That will keep you busy for a while..
Fransw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 17:52   #22

Awesome thread- the kind I signed up for. How did it turn out? Would love to try it.
RichMartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail