Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2008, 10:08   #16

Boat: Privilege 37
I absolutely love My privilege 37 and recommend it whole heartidly!!! Only thing better would be an owner version of the 435, but that's just a personal thing.

Having said that, my Privilege is slowish... Doesn't do very much in light winds at cruising weight. But, after I threw all that extranious cruising stuff off, painted the hulls and cleaned the props, it was amazingly fun to sail!!!

Was in some challenging weather on occassion and never feared the durability of the boat. The ride was very comfortable compared to the Manta, FP, and Logoons I experienced.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 10:52   #17

Boat: (between boats)
While I've heard much anecdotal evidence of slow performance, and I'll admit I can't provide a full report yet, I can say I was VERY impressed with the performance of our 1992/3 P39 during our survey sail. She's an ex-charter boat in pretty rough shape and at the time of our test only had minimal gear aboard - but did have a badly blistered bum.

We saw 9-10knts in about 13-14 true on a close reach, typical Drake Passage chop, with sails I'd call 'servicable'. Being a convert I was really impressed, not only with speed, but to sail so well close to windward. Like most mono sailors we're told these cats can't point. I'll call BS on that line.

We chose the P39 after much research. My wife was very comfortable by the solid build and good reputation. The interior layout is nice and functional. She has the most incredibly spacious cockpit of any cat and in the tropics this is where we will be spending our time. I prefer the twin outboard helms, and have always like the look of the Privilege cats. Dave's experince on "Exit Only" is a great endorsement of the breed.

It's been a long 4 months of sitting in the yard drying out, and they are due to start finishing the bottom today. After 6 years in the midwest this Kiwi is looking forward to being back on the water. In a month or two I'll be able to provide a better evaluation. I think in some ways it comes down to how hard you want to push. Some like to sail conservatively and others are 'balls to the wall' if you will.

We're happy with our purchase and looking forward to many hours of refit and rebuild ;~}
IslandHops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2008, 13:32   #18

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
IslandHops.. I think I spent a lot of time looking at the bow of your new boat at Nanny Cay recently. Jeannius was having a bottom paint and there was a Priv 39 right next to me with the gelcoat peeled off. I bet you can't wait to get her back in the water!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 05:04   #19

Boat: (between boats)
Yes - That was her. Still has her old name (Wildcat) on. That will be one of the first tasks when I arrive. Chris from BVI painters was supposed to start back on her last week but Omar had different plans. While there was no damage at Nanny Cay, the heavy rains and storm prep got in the way.

I'm hoping for the first week in November - I've got to escape the cold!

Fair winds

- Scott
IslandHops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 05:45   #20
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
I've never owned a Privilege but from observation, inspection and reading numerous posts from those who do, the only criticisms seem to be:

1. Performance (but again, on a heavily loaded, long-distance cruising cat that my not be as important as the solidity of the structure).
2. Headliners - the glued on vinyl headliners tend to sag and need replacement on the the 37s and 39s.
3. Elevated fixed ports in the saloon - these do not permit forward vision without standing. Again, not a huge thing - on the other hand, it is not only nice to be able to see forward when down below, it is a safety feature.
4. Curved fixed ports are very difficult (read expensive) to replace.

That's about it. As to the relativey narrow beam on the Prouts, yes it tends to reduce athwartship stability. On the other hand, it increases the resistance to pitchpoling, it reduces the impact of waves beneath the bridgedeck, it provides for a very strong structure (no racking/twist), it makes it easier to find docking and haul-out facilities, it facilitates tacking and, the center of gravity was kept low and the rig was designed to lower the center of effort on the sails so as to reduce the risk of capsize.

Finally, while I do not own a Prout I do have what is commonly referred to as the 'Prout rig' - a cutter with the mast stepped at the boats most solid point - the aft bulkhead. I personally love the rig as:

- it gives you a ready staysail/storm jib (with the center of effort moved in, as should be the case in heavy conditions;
- if has all lines leading to the cockpit without a slew of turning blocks etc.
- it reduces the size of the mainsail so that it is very easy to raise, reef and handle.
- it is a good downwind rig.
- it is a very strong rig.
- it lowers the center of effort of the sail plan.
- the large foretriangle lead to easier tacking.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
privilege