Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2019, 20:32   #1

Privilege 395

Hi gang

I am new to the forum, but I’m hoping for some advice from anyone that knows much about or has sailed a Privilege 395.

My intention is to worldwide cruise. The low bridge clearance coupled with the central forward berth seem at face value like they pose a risk to comfort, but I’ve never actually sailed one to know.

Any thoughts on price references and sailing performance for long distance cruising?

I am also concerned about ease of re-sale. Are they a boat that is sought after, or is nobody interested in the ‘old’ technology?

Many thanks
julianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 21:19   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Privilege 395

You might contact Dave from Exit Only, screen name is Maxingout here on CF. He and his family circumnavigated in their Privilege 39, and have written a lot about the process.

Jim
Old 20-03-2019, 00:05   #3

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Very few Privilege 395s about but if you can find one they are great boats. Their bridgedeck is relatively high, not low. You certainly won't find better in a sub 40ft cat from any other mainstream manufacturer. I've never actually sailed one but have been aboard one when I did the ARC back in 2002. There was a family aboard either a 37 or 395 (can't remember which but they are essentially the same boat) and we arrived in 17 days and they came in the following day. So not slow.

The Priv 39 that Jim references above is a Jeantot Privilege rather than an Alliaura Privilege so an earlier generation.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 01:28   #4

Thanks guys, some good feedback
julianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 02:21   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Julian.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 04:35   #6

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
Very few Privilege 395s about but if you can find one they are great boats. Their bridgedeck is relatively high, not low. You certainly won't find better in a sub 40ft cat from any other mainstream manufacturer. I've never actually sailed one but have been aboard one when I did the ARC back in 2002. There was a family aboard either a 37 or 395 (can't remember which but they are essentially the same boat) and we arrived in 17 days and they came in the following day. So not slow.

The Priv 39 that Jim references above is a Jeantot Privilege rather than an Alliaura Privilege so an earlier generation.
Not to hijack the thread, although it may be of interest to the OP, but what are your thoughts on the 435 you owned? I always thought of them as heavy, able to slog through just about anything, but slow. CAVEAT: most of that is base on hearsay! :-)

Best regards,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 07:05   #7

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

There is a Privilege 37 next to me in the marina. Looks like the same one that was previously for sale in Turkey (on this forum).

For just 37' it's a massive boat compared to my Snowgoose 35. It seems very solidly built and a lot more boat for the money than a Lagoon 380. Bridgedeck clearance looks good compared to the boats opposite me. FPs, Lagoons, etc..

The rig looks nice, and not overly large or difficult to handle, and the helm is relatively well protected with decent visibility.

I do think that the V shaped front deck looks limiting in terms of entertaining, and playing on the bow though.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 11:13   #8

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Not to hijack the thread, although it may be of interest to the OP, but what are your thoughts on the 435 you owned? I always thought of them as heavy, able to slog through just about anything, but slow. CAVEAT: most of that is base on hearsay! :-)

Best regards,
Lee... Compared to your Corsair then, yes, a Privilege 435 is slow. Compared to most standard cats it is probably mid range. I did 200nm days on a couple of occasions but most of my time as an owner (12 years and over 35,000nm) was spent sailing conservatively with my main aim being to deliver my wife and any other crew safely to our destination. There is not another boat I would rather cross an ocean aboard.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 12:07   #9

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
Lee... Compared to your Corsair then, yes, a Privilege 435 is slow. Compared to most standard cats it is probably mid range. I did 200nm days on a couple of occasions but most of my time as an owner (12 years and over 35,000nm) was spent sailing conservatively with my main aim being to deliver my wife and any other crew safely to our destination. There is not another boat I would rather cross an ocean aboard.
I appreciate your response. Very few cats would keep up with any of my trimarans, but they’re gone and I’m searching for our ‘retirement’ cat, with safety, comfort and reliability in mind - some of which I didn’t have on any of the tris. On the other hand, I’d like a good balance between safety, comfort and performance - the sailing holy trinity! I’ve not been on a Privilege in many many years, so I’d not be surprised if they move along better these days. Of their sound, solid sea keeping ability I have no doubts.

Thanks for taking the time!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
privilege