Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2020, 18:40   #16

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: 35 Tonnes of LFP

Why does everyone seem to think centralized power remains the best option. I mean on boats most people have at least two sources even if one of them doesn’t supply 100% of their needs.
Old 11-05-2020, 20:55   #17

They are not using LFP in that boat .
Whatta Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:06   #18

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
And some seem to try that route again:
https://ecoclipper.org/

This must be a Greta company. 500 ton payload. I wonder how much power and resources go into building 44 of these to replace 1 modern container ship.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:53   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

By the way, it's not LFP, but LiPo, a very different technology. Hope they have some mongo fire supression systems on board.

The purpose of all those batteries has nothing to do with propulsion -- it's all about running off battery power at anchor, like all of us do. For the sake of silence -- just like we do it. Just it takes 35 tonnes of LiPo rather than 8 golf cart batteries like with us

There is nothing green about that vessel whatsoever. The propulsion system is just like a cruise ship with azipods.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:16   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Pete in my opinion if we go very much towards electrification, that Nuclear is the only real viable way to get there. T. . .

That's a fact.

Finland gets only 10% of electrical power from fossil fuels and is building a large new nuclear plant which will take them up to 60% nuclear power and eliminate hydrocarbons. Smart guys. Finland has the cheapest electrical power in Europe.

Sweden is expanding their nuclear power plants, after having reversed an earlier political decision to phase out nuclear power, having realized how dumb that was (Germans, are you watching?). They are at 40% nuclear now and only make 4% of their power with fossil fuels. The Swedes are world leaders in nuclear waste disposal, too, having built the world's first commercially viable permanent storage (called "ultimate storage") facility in cooperation with the Finns.

Denmark has no nuclear power, based on a 1985 law against it. Denmark is the world leader in wind power, but they have the highest electricity prices in Europe, and still use a huge amount of coal and oil to generate electricity. 60% of Danish power comes from hydrocarbons. Do those guys actually care about pollution and climate change? To be fair, it's not just because of no nuclear -- unlike Sweden and Finland, who have huge amounts of hydro power, Denmark has no hydro power, so they are doubly cursed.

There has been a revolution in wind power, which is now cheaper than any other source of electrical power. The cost has fallen by something like 2/3 over the last decade; it's a revolution.

I think we've solved the energy problem. A combination of wind, solar, hydro and nuclear will do it and as cheap or cheaper than fossil fuels. No real need any more to burn fossil fuels except for some mobile applications like ships and planes. We can afford to do it if we stop burning fossil fuels on land.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote