Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2020, 11:11   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
35 Tonnes of LFP

So how long does 35 tonnes of LFP last before you need to re-charge?

Well 12 hours apparently Wonder what that cost?

https://robbreport.com/motors/marine...-sale-2915365/
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:37   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: 35 Tonnes of LFP

It is just the way they tell em. This is the least green, "green" boat. No alternative energy just big storage batteries.

6 x 1300hp engines drinking more than 200l/h each, an oil change is >500ltrs

Assuming you only use "1" generator to recharge for 12hours that is 2400 litres and an 85 litre oil change every 3 weeks. That is just ONE engine.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:48   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not only that but LFP has such a short life with a limited number of cycles.

What folk need is one or more of these:

Old 02-05-2020, 14:15   #4

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Not only that but LFP has such a short life with a limited number of cycles.

You think the guy that commissioned it just discovered that and decided to sell it quick.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:56   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
You think the guy that commissioned it just discovered that and decided to sell it quick.
Not for that reason, but why commission a motor yacht like that and then sell it? still at least it's keeping trades in work building the things.

Pete
Old 03-05-2020, 06:04   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Didn’t you guys get the message? Electric anything is green, zero emissions.
We are supposed to ignore the charge source, that way we can feel smug.
I’d bet lunch that with charge inefficiencies, and extra weight that in fact these “green” vehicles burn more fuel than non electrics.
Still what in Gods name are you running to suck down 35 tons of LFP batteries overnight at anchor?

It’s for sale at I’m sure quite a mark up, it’s being sold to make money.
There are so many super rich people in the World now that things like Super Yachts and Gulfstream Jets are on a waiting list. It’s years before you can buy one, but if your willing to pay well over actual cost, they are available right now from people or businesses that bought them specifically to resale.

G650 waiting list is now three years long
https://www.privatefly.com/us/press-...ble-to-charter
I know several people at the plant in Savannah Ga, they are building them as fast as they can, it’s not an artificial shortage, just so many Ultra Rich people want one.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:30   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
We sure did, in fact we have commissioned China to build us a new nuclear power plant a few miles outside London on some marshland, right on the edge of the sea. What could possibly go wrong

This will enable us to run electric everything so we can feel really good about ourselves and not have to touch the 100 years of coal we have left in the UK, or any of that tidal energy stuff which doesn't always work when we want it to make tea at 7am each morning.

https://bradwellb.co.uk/?cn-reloaded=1
Old 03-05-2020, 06:38   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Pete in my opinion if we go very much towards electrification, that Nuclear is the only real viable way to get there. That’s a fact that is often ignored by electric proponents.
The amount of fuel burned by our vehicles energy wise is enormous, as in huge, to replace that energy is daunting, you can’t do it with Solar panels on your roof, although many say you can, but they also believe that Solar roof on their cars will recharge them while its sitting in the parking lot too.
What annoys me though is that for some reason there is no desire to become more efficient, just shift from oil/coal to electric/nuclear. Of course they all will argue to the ends of time that Solar Panels will cover all of our power needs.
But they don’t want small efficient electric vehicles, they want electric SUV’s and in the US, pickup trucks.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:05   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Pete in my opinion if we go very much towards electrification, that Nuclear is the only real viable way to get there. That’s a fact that is often ignored by electric proponents.
Actually I agree and think nuclear is the way forward, just prefer it if the Chinese weren't building it. Oh, and a small distribution problem in that the UK national grid can't handle it. I believe the US also has some grid problems.

Quote:
but they also believe that Solar roof on their cars will recharge them while its sitting in the parking lot too.
I raised this a while back and still think its a goer, particularly for cars in cities doing short journeys, then parked up all day. Won't be a huge amount, but it all helps and doesn't need to fully charge just add something. The wife does 4 miles a day to work and back, I do 8, meanwhile the car sits stationary outside for 8 hours.

Quote:
What annoys me though is that for some reason there is no desire to become more efficient, just shift from oil/coal to electric/nuclear. Of course they all will argue to the ends of time that Solar Panels will cover all of our power needs. But they don’t want small efficient electric vehicles, they want electric SUV’s and in the US, pickup trucks.
Me too, other than the Nissan Leaf, who needs a Jag or other lux brand EV? The district nurse wants an electric mini to do her rounds at a price below a new small petrol car. Problem is, the money is in big lux brands, not cheap run arounds.

Pete
Old 03-05-2020, 10:56   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
We are supposed to ignore the charge source, that way we can feel smug.
I’d bet lunch that with charge inefficiencies, and extra weight that in fact these “green” vehicles burn more fuel than non electrics.
Still what in Gods name are you running to suck down 35 tons of LFP batteries overnight at anchor?

It’s for sale at I’m sure quite a mark up, it’s being sold to make money.
There are so many super rich people in the World now that things like Super Yachts and Gulfstream Jets are on a waiting list. It’s years before you can buy one, but if your willing to pay well over actual cost, they are available right now from people or businesses that bought them specifically to resale.

G650 waiting list is now three years long
https://www.privatefly.com/us/press-...ble-to-charter
I know several people at the plant in Savannah Ga, they are building them as fast as they can, it’s not an artificial shortage, just so many Ultra Rich people want one.
I believe I agree with you, Someplace that plug is getting it's power from along with line lose.
False or break even eco economy.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 13:24   #11
Marine Service Provider

Green, shmean, I would expect that the old clipper ships, for speed and cargo capacity, were the greenest ships every build. This turd hearse is a rich, nitwit wanabe pseudo-environmentalist's play toy.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 13:36   #12

Boat: Island Packet 40

Perfectly logical.

Who wants a noisy, smelly, fume producing generator running all night and wine cellars, cheese stores and cigar humidors pull a lot of power overnight.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 13:48   #13

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Not for that reason, but why commission a motor yacht like that and then sell it? still at least it's keeping trades in work building the things.

Pete
I was more thinking that the owner did not have the spare cash to pay the last installments with all the economy and the stock markets tanking. Warren Buffet’s company “only” lost 50 billion.
I suspect he also lost a fortune and selling this yacht is a quick way to generate cash. Only the market for superyachts and cruiseships is also down the drain and he will have to sell quick.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 14:20   #14

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Reading the sales blurb implies the reason for the batteries isn't to be green. It's to allow the boat to run silently overnight.

I guess 35 tonnes if LFP is needed when running chill pools and electrically automated pool to dance floor mechanisms!

Has it been launched? Maybe some engineer has calculated it will turn turtle at launch with all those batteries and the owner is getting out while he/she is ahead.
Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 16:38   #15

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Green, shmean, I would expect that the old clipper ships, for speed and cargo capacity, were the greenest ships every build. ...snip
And some seem to try that route again:
https://ecoclipper.org/