Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 09:33   #1
00X

48 volt midpoint voltage wiring diagram correct?

I'd like to wire a Victron BMV-712 to monitor the midpoint voltage of a 48 volt battery bank.

I think i have it correct but was hoping someone who would know might confirm my wiring diagram is correct.

I included a screen shot from the Victron manual. They show a 48 volt pack connected with three strings of (4x) 12 volts batteries in series (bottom right picture) and then each string is connected to a main positive bus and a main negative bus.

The 48 volt pack im trying to connect is only (4x) 12 volt batteries which would be the equivalent of just one string pictured in their diagram.

To me it look like all i would have to do is connect the auxiliary wire from the shunt to the midpoint positive terminal and the main positive power feed wire for the shunt to the end of the series connected positive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Victron.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	293564   Click image for larger version

Name:	48 volt 2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	293569  

00X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:03   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: 48 volt midpoint voltage wiring diagram correct?

Why on earth would you want to continually monitor midpoint voltage. Just stick a multimeter on it if you are curious. Better yet, measure the voltage across each of the 4 segments.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:28   #3
00X

Re: 48 volt midpoint voltage wiring diagram correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Why on earth would you want to continually monitor midpoint voltage. Just stick a multimeter on it if you are curious. Better yet, measure the voltage across each of the 4 segments.
Its a feature of the monitor. We use the monitor to keep track of SOC, why wouldnt we want to use it?

If i understand the capability of the feature correctly, it could help warn of a battery thats maybe not keeping up by splitting the bank voltages in two. It would be an early warning that i could then use to check each battery more accurately to see if there is a large bank imbalance. I have not used this feature yet though, so im not sure exactly how it works in real world. If you have anything helpful to add in this regard, please share your wisdom.

Its a 48 volt bank for an electric motor that draws high amps. I want to make sure the bank stays optimally charged.
00X is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring