Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2022, 02:57   #166
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
ABYC and ISO Li reference diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
That is not how it works, but it appears that way to you. When the yellow lever is turned to the left, the BMS has full control. You can manually switch on and off, but the BMS can do as well plus it knows if you did so manually.

When you turn the yellow lever to the right, you override the BMS, it can no longer operate the solenoid, but the solenoid is locked in the off position and the only way to turn it on is by turning the lever left again, canceling the manual override of the BMS

Blue seas own application note on choosing a battery relay

“Manual override mechanism—A remote battery switch should have the capability to be operated manually if problems limits its electrical operation. This manual function also should be rugged. A mechanical override is likely to be used in an emergency, where there is an even greater chance for it to be subjected to rough treatment.”

And Nick you are wrong ML RBS can manually be switch on or off and such switching overrides the relay. I verified this in the chandlery

Here’s the section from the ML RBS instruction sheet

“The Manual Control Override Knob provides (Remote Battery Switch Only):
• an added level of safety that allows manual ON-OFF control with or without power • LOCK OFF for servicing the electrical system”

Note clearly ONOFF
Old 13-10-2022, 03:09   #167
Nearly an old salt

Re: ABYC and ISO Li reference diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Sorry but I have a hard time believing that as I'm using 10ah less and with 200 watts running through a tracer MPPT I'm finally full by noon .

Now with any lead I would say you are close by 3pm with 240 and 35ah usage,

If your up by the time you say then your not using what you think you are.

Laws of physics and all

Sure I’ve only more monitoring equipment then 100% of people here ( how many have two oscilloscopes on board ) a 30 EE experience.

Sure I can’t tell when my batteries are charged ,today must be Saturday as well cause you said so.

As I’ve said the tail current clearly shows the battery is at nominal 100% by 11am on summer , the BMV 712 does a 100% SOC reset and confirms the nightly AH consumption. This is all on my Victron database

I suggest humbly sir , you are telling your grandmother how to suck eggs
Old 13-10-2022, 03:16   #168
Nearly an old salt

ABYC and ISO Li reference diagram

To return to the nonsense about 3Ah

Of course net consumption is half that. My solar panels are doing very little in the latter part of the day, essentially covering the running of the fridge quite easily. I remain at 100 % SOC until nightfall

Hence the nighttime 1.5Ah from the TE relay is nothing of consequence. It’s a fraction of the quiescent load on the batteries at night ( 25-30Ah) Ah including fridge and charging iThingies and sometimes anchor lights etc.

The TE relay is fully fail safe , can be got with auxiliary “ proving “ contacts. And is a available from Chinese sources , as TE makes them in China, for $50

It’s a perfectly acceptable fail safe solution , it’s NOT better or worse then the ML RBS , it’s just different with different design priorities.

I like it’s basic simplicity ,inherent fail safe , and in my opinion consistent with what blue sea themselves have said , every BMS should have a emergency hard mechanical override.

Hence both Ml RBS and TE EV200 offer different approaches to battery bms disconnect. Your design priorities , safety priorities etc will dictate what design decisions you make on this And all other aspects of the battery system

( just like the dc dc / alternator debate )

It’s nonsense people arguing their solution is “ best “ there is no universal best way to do this type of system.
Old 13-10-2022, 03:28   #169
Nearly an old salt

By the way to stop this BS argument I have asked BLue sea technical to specifically answer the issues mentioned. This should put this rather ridiculous ping pong to bed permanently.
Old 13-10-2022, 06:49   #170
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Blue seas own application note on choosing a battery relay

“Manual override mechanism—A remote battery switch should have the capability to be operated manually if problems limits its electrical operation. This manual function also should be rugged. A mechanical override is likely to be used in an emergency, where there is an even greater chance for it to be subjected to rough treatment.”

And Nick you are wrong ML RBS can manually be switch on or off and such switching overrides the relay. I verified this in the chandlery

Here’s the section from the ML RBS instruction sheet

“The Manual Control Override Knob provides (Remote Battery Switch Only):
• an added level of safety that allows manual ON-OFF control with or without power • LOCK OFF for servicing the electrical system”

Note clearly ONOFF
You must read my post again and try to understand what it says. The only reason I reply is for others reading this and being confused. I think my previous post was very clear.

The diagram in this thread has a manual switch that locks the BMS out. You can force the battery to be online even when the BMS wants it offline. This is 100% against not just the ABYC recommendations, but it qualifies for a Darwin Award.

The RBS from BlueSea can not do that. When you disable remote control by the BMS, the RBS is OFF and can not be switched on.

When you enable remote control, then you can manually switch it on or off, but so can the BMS. When the BMS wants it off, it will be off, saving battery or even the boat and it’s crew.

This is the problem when you read some documentation but have no hands on experience. You really don’t know enough about it and should bring commenting on such products in line with the lack of experience.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2022, 07:19   #171
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Sure I’ve only more monitoring equipment then 100% of people here ( how many have two oscilloscopes on board ) a 30 EE experience.

Sure I can’t tell when my batteries are charged ,today must be Saturday as well cause you said so.

As I’ve said the tail current clearly shows the battery is at nominal 100% by 11am on summer , the BMV 712 does a 100% SOC reset and confirms the nightly AH consumption. This is all on my Victron database

I suggest humbly sir , you are telling your grandmother how to suck eggs
And what is the said tail and what is the potential out of your panels at the time you take your tail readings?
Sorry but I've to many years with all this to blindly believe . Just because you state it doesn't make it so.
Lastly the BVM710 has been shown to have issues depending on what version of the programing you are runn9ng and when it was last flashed.

Now I don't doubt what you say you are seeing I'm just doubting the accuracy of those readings . FLA is not kind WRT rapid tail charging.
Old 14-10-2022, 13:51   #172

Boat: Ericson 27

Quote:
The RBS from BlueSea can not do that. When you disable remote control by the BMS, the RBS is OFF and can not be switched on.
This does not match what my RBS does, or what I have seen when I played with another one at my local boat store. If the control input is not energized (ie the BMS has commanded the switch off, or the BMS has otherwise failed) I can press down on the yellow plunger in the control knob, and the switch will latch and stay closed. I can rotate the knob 90 degrees to the off position, and both override to off, and lock out the ability of the BMS to turn it on.

Additionally, if the BMS does fail, and lets the CH control go open circuit, the RBS will interpret that as an open signal and open the Contactor. I know the latter to be true as yours truly failed to adequately secure the ground end of my CH control loop and wondered why the RBS suddenly opened when I bumped the wiring harness.

Note that this is on the 7713 rather than the dual pulse input version.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 16:23   #173
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson View Post
This does not match what my RBS does, or what I have seen when I played with another one at my local boat store. If the control input is not energized (ie the BMS has commanded the switch off, or the BMS has otherwise failed) I can press down on the yellow plunger in the control knob, and the switch will latch and stay closed. I can rotate the knob 90 degrees to the off position, and both override to off, and lock out the ability of the BMS to turn it on.

Additionally, if the BMS does fail, and lets the CH control go open circuit, the RBS will interpret that as an open signal and open the Contactor. I know the latter to be true as yours truly failed to adequately secure the ground end of my CH control loop and wondered why the RBS suddenly opened when I bumped the wiring harness.

Note that this is on the 7713 rather than the dual pulse input version.
Ah yes, I did not test the 7713, my description is for the 7700 or it’s 24V version, i.e. the pulsed version.

So when your BMS switches the solenoid off, it outputs a zero Volt control signal. When you then press the solenoid down, it locks in the ON position with the BMS still sending that OFF signal?

If so then this isn’t conform ABYC. I also believe there is no easy feedback for the BMS to understand what is happening like with the 7700.

Interesting

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 00:14   #174
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
And what is the said tail and what is the potential out of your panels at the time you take your tail readings?

Sorry but I've to many years with all this to blindly believe . Just because you state it doesn't make it so.

Lastly the BVM710 has been shown to have issues depending on what version of the programing you are runn9ng and when it was last flashed.

Now I don't doubt what you say you are seeing I'm just doubting the accuracy of those readings . FLA is not kind WRT rapid tail charging.

Mate leave it off , if I state it so , I’m happy it’s so. This is a field I have 30 years of experience in. I have a full LIN bus based current sensing system which parallels the BMV.

I’m happy the lead acids are close to 100% SOC
Old 15-10-2022, 00:18   #175
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
You must read my post again and try to understand what it says. The only reason I reply is for others reading this and being confused. I think my previous post was very clear.

The diagram in this thread has a manual switch that locks the BMS out. You can force the battery to be online even when the BMS wants it offline. This is 100% against not just the ABYC recommendations, but it qualifies for a Darwin Award.

When you enable remote control, then you can manually switch it on or off, but so can the BMS. When the BMS wants it off, it will be off, saving battery or even the boat and it’s crew.

This is the problem when you read some documentation but have no hands on experience. You really don’t know enough about it and should bring commenting on such products in line with the lack of experience.

I went into the chandlery and we opened the box and tested the relay.

The manual switch locks the RBS ON or OFF. In both positions the electro mechanical system can’t override the mechanical system.

Blue sea have confirmed this.

Maybe your version is different. You need to get out more Nick
Old 15-10-2022, 01:32   #176
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Mate leave it off , if I state it so , I’m happy it’s so. This is a field I have 30 years of experience in. I have a full LIN bus based current sensing system which parallels the BMV.

I’m happy the lead acids are close to 100% SOC
Well then best of luck with your hidden cronic PSOC issue .
Old 15-10-2022, 01:33   #177
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I went into the chandlery and we opened the box and tested the relay.

The manual switch locks the RBS ON or OFF. In both positions the electro mechanical system can’t override the mechanical system.

Blue sea have confirmed this.

Maybe your version is different. You need to get out more Nick
No that you have decided not to install lifepo4 this all is a moot point .
Old 15-10-2022, 03:04   #178
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Well then best of luck with your hidden cronic PSOC issue .

Nope no PSOC issue if you can’t get your batteries from 4:30am to 11am and replace 25-30ah within that time. You have bigger issue then me.

My previous cells recharged in the same time and I could do specific gravity tests as well definitely at 100%

Nor do I ever use AGM so no real PSOC issues and the cheap batteries €100 per 140 AH get replaced every 5 years
Old 15-10-2022, 03:15   #179
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
No that you have decided not to install lifepo4 this all is a moot point .

Why it is moot. I have more commercial design experience with lithium then probably most here. I’ve used lithium in commercial projects etc

I have a full LFP install ready to go once I have insurance agreement with zero deductible

Secondly this thread was posted to illustrate RGleason proposed design , I never claimed it was mine.

The absolute nonsense debate fostered by some here trying to denigrate certain design choices is ridiculous , it’s like the stupid sea cock thread

I’m not arguing “ best “I didn’t put up RGleason diagram as “ best “ case. I put it up because in my opinion it represents a very good compromise given his original design criteria

What I regard as important are

1. Fail safe BMS contactors

2 full emergency manual override of the BMS contactor

3. Ability to switch in alternative power sources

4 . Alternator to lithium

RGleasons diagram in my opinion was a good “ compromise “ among those lines

The nonsense about BlueSeas is just that the same interminable nonsense trying to establish “ best “

As i repeatedly said , stop arguing best , of you want to use ML RBS , use it. If you accept alternative “ best “ use that too

Oh and by the way I now consulted on 4 lithium installs where I’ve recommended complete rework as I see systems installed with a little knowledge . I’m working on a redesign of one such system over the winter on a 48 footer.

So , if you’ll excuse me. I don’t believe just because “ somebody has done something “ actually shows they know what they are talking about. All they tend to do is argue their system is right to justify themselves. That’s not necessarily good engineering.
Old 15-10-2022, 03:22   #180
Nearly an old salt

By the way , all the claims ( and yes that includes mine ) that x and u and X are ISO ABYC compliant or NOT are of course merely everyone’s “ interpretation “ of in some cases “poorly “ constructed and vague standards documents.

In the case of ABYC as it’s non legally pre-scripted it will be boat builders and industry leaders that will largely develop “ custom and practice “ designs. And no doubt ABYC will issue updates.

In the case of the more prescriptive ISO standard. Once incorporated into the RCD , the deciding body will be the official “ notified bodies “ and how boat builders use that teccomendations.

Hence it will not be “newhaul” ,” Jedi “ or “ GBN”s opinion that counts at all.

We shall no doubt see the industry and the standards compliance bodies set down custom and practice over the next few years which will put an end to these nonsense “ angel on a pin “ debates here

Tags
enc