Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2020, 04:01   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Battery Boxes

I'm just about to order my cells and other parts but I'm stuck with the battery box.

No way can I get any combination of cells into my existing GRP battery box, so I'll either need a new one or I'll need to cut and extend my existing one by about 14mm.

What's best practice here? I guess I could go to a tank maker and get one made up out of high density polyethelene, or get something welded up out of alu sheet. Sounds expensive, though.

What are others doing?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 04:43   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Battery Boxes

Cutting and extending seems a pretty straightforward solution.
Simple and quick(ish).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 05:47   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

I did extensive on-line searching for box makers... and then just compared sizes. The large box we eventually got for 4x GC2s is a white thing, can't remember brand, but it was easily adapted to where I wanted cable innies/outies. Then I found a small black box (Noco, maybe) for our genset battery. But I've not found any one single manufacturer who makes boxes that cover my three different bank physical configurations.

-Chris
Old 27-01-2020, 20:43   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 44 CC

I have the same plastic white battery box. I'm planning on trying to fit my cells within it. If that doesn't work, then I wont use a battery box. You don't need it as LiFePo4's don't off gas. The concern is keeping them in place. If you're using cells that require compression, you could use straps to strap the compression cases down.

The factory I'm buying from makes these cases. I'm buying a few of them to bolt into the battery tray floor.

Qismat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:10   #5

Boat: L42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qismat View Post
I have the same plastic white battery box. I'm planning on trying to fit my cells within it. If that doesn't work, then I wont use a battery box. You don't need it as LiFePo4's don't off gas. The concern is keeping them in place. If you're using cells that require compression, you could use straps to strap the compression cases down.

The factory I'm buying from makes these cases. I'm buying a few of them to bolt into the battery tray floor.

I looked at those, but they seem to cover up the vents on top and have the gaps between the cells covered up. I would prefer all of those to be open. Any concerns there?
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:31   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

When I switched to GC2 batteries I had to make a new box. In my boat the batteries are mounted under the companionway with a solid, well secured top so didn't see the need for a full box. So had a stainless tray with 2" high sides welded up that fit the batteries exactly. Only cost about $100 as I recall.

I was concerned about any leakage or spillage of battery acid eating up the tray so lined the bottom with pads that are impregnated with some high pH chemical that neutralizes any spilled acid. Bottom of the tray looked like new the last time I replaced the batteries.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
I looked at those, but they seem to cover up the vents on top and have the gaps between the cells covered up. I would prefer all of those to be open. Any concerns there?
The blue lids already cover all the vents, but there is ample room for gas to move outward, and anyway by far the most common thing is that liquid electrolyte spooges out of these vents, rather than a massive event. (And either way, the cell is toast.) I wouldn't be worried about the black thing blocking the ends.

I'm less excited about the gap between the cells being covered. If it's like that on the "long end", where there are many more gaps, I would probably look for something else.
nebster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery box