Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2020, 09:42   #31

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon
Re: Casing for Aluminum Cells

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
Are you sure about that? It’s hard to believe since it creates a significantly larger hazard for series cells.
I am quite sure that it is true of the cells that I am using.
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 12:29   #32

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
Are you sure about that? It’s hard to believe since it creates a significantly larger hazard for series cells.
Sure.

You don't want to have a metal battery housing full of metal cell casings with everything at different potentials. Or even a plastic housing, because it may possibly perhaps someday contain a little water and at the least you'll get an aggressive corrosion issue.
Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 18:23   #33

Boat: Gulfstar 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebster View Post

That brand "Fortune" that you see I believe is just a name some USA importer made up to obfuscate their source. They are actually made by Jiangsu Frey. I bought my cells directly from a rep in Shenzhen who sells cells from various factories. If your quantity will be >50, let me know and I can put you in touch with her.

This is amazing information. I've made contact with the supplier of these cells for 40 USD per cell cheaper than what is offered in the USA. Working out the details now. Thank you!
Qismat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 18:33   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qismat View Post
This is amazing information. I've made contact with the supplier of these cells for 40 USD per cell cheaper than what is offered in the USA. Working out the details now. Thank you!
You're welcome.

You may want to order one or two extra. I had a 2% failure rate on my order, and sending one back will cost you way more than a cell in time and hassle.

Also, have them send extra plastic spacers. They are inexpensive and prone to damage in shipping.
nebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 07:30   #35

Boat: L42
Talking Re: Casing for Aluminum Cells

Quote:
You're welcome.

You may want to order one or two extra. I had a 2% failure rate on my order, and sending one back will cost you way more than a cell in time and hassle.

Also, have them send extra plastic spacers. They are inexpensive and prone to damage in shipping.
Thanks nebster & Qismat!

This is great information, I have been on their website this morning. It looks like there are some options in terms of the plastic spacers. I will be curiose to see what you come up with in terms of spacers as well as overall mounting Qismat. It does not look like the standard spacers include any provision for mounting rods like the ones shown on the 'Fortune" versions. That is certainly not a major problem, there are many ways to deal with it. I would definitely be ordering more than 50, so I will inquire direct to see what the cost would be.

This is a HUGE benefit in terms of cost.

Thanks Again!!!
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:26   #36

I just received a Quote from Maggie at Frey direct from China. I was actually quite surprised at how quickly she responded considering it was Friday evening, and its a holiday period over there!

I was pricing a large bank of 1600 AH, so 64 cells of 100 AH. I actually quoted a few extra cells just in case. Shipping added a WHOPPING $1268 US. The cells where $68.38 apiece plus the cost of any buss bars. The total was just over $6000. I was a little disappointed by the total. I actually have several other options that are here in the US and would be within a few hundred dollars of the same cost. I also can get Winston cells for a couple of hundred dollars more.

For an expenditure of this size I would choose a US distributor who has the cells in local stock every time for a few hundred dollars. I was hoping the cells would be slightly less and the shipping would be slightly less.

Overall costs are dropping, but its very slow. I still haven't decided what I will do, I have some time before I really need the cells so I may wait a month or two and see how things develop.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:27   #37

Boat: Gulfstar 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
I just received a Quote from Maggie at Frey direct from China. I was actually quite surprised at how quickly she responded considering it was Friday evening, and its a holiday period over there!

I was pricing a large bank of 1600 AH, so 64 cells of 100 AH. I actually quoted a few extra cells just in case. Shipping added a WHOPPING $1268 US. The cells where $68.38 apiece plus the cost of any buss bars. The total was just over $6000. I was a little disappointed by the total. I actually have several other options that are here in the US and would be within a few hundred dollars of the same cost. I also can get Winston cells for a couple of hundred dollars more.

For an expenditure of this size I would choose a US distributor who has the cells in local stock every time for a few hundred dollars. I was hoping the cells would be slightly less and the shipping would be slightly less.

Overall costs are dropping, but its very slow. I still haven't decided what I will do, I have some time before I really need the cells so I may wait a month or two and see how things develop.
I got a quote from the same factory, different Rep, for 24 cells for a 600ah bank for $2715 including battery boxes custom made and shipping. Comes out to 108 USD per cell incl shipping.

To be fair, your battery bank size is massive. That's 64 cells which is going to be extremely heavy. That shipping quote makes sense.
Qismat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:55   #38
cruiser

Get the Winstons, won't be sorry.

Please share US stockists of any LFP, but especially CALB, Winston, Sinopoly or GBS
Tim Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:22   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Robotham View Post
Get the Winstons, won't be sorry.

Please share US stockists of any LFP, but especially CALB, Winston, Sinopoly or GBS
Hi Tim,

It is customary (or should be) for folks posting in the LiFePO4 threads to give a little background about themselves and their LiFePO4 experience/setup.

Welcome to CF and looking forward to learning from your experience!
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:43   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

my cells are 240ah and $77 per cell plus shipping .
One thing to keep in mind is any purchase of less than 1,000 is tariff free.
You may want to check on what the tariff cost would be on your full order either that or break it down into multiple orders with a single shipping cost .
Old 01-02-2020, 11:49   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
Hi Tim,

It is customary (or should be) for folks posting in the LiFePO4 threads to give a little background about themselves and their LiFePO4 experience/setup.
I'm afraid it's not going to happen... that's John Coad's masquerade.
nebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 13:44   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
I'm afraid it's not going to happen... that's John Coad's masquerade.
Give that man a cigar .

Found out i dont need compression so im spacing 1/4 inch for cooling . The discussions on other threads shows a minor capacity loss of inner cells due to diferent heat loading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200128_161325.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	208023  
Old 01-02-2020, 15:45   #43

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:

Have you tried RJ Lithium? That's where my cells and a few other guys in the lithum on a boat group bought their cells from. Prices were very keen.

https://www.rj-lithium.com

They have a range of cell sizes, for Europe (I don't know about the states) have fast and cheap shipping options. No taxes or duty on my (small in comparison) 300ah bank.

Not seen any reported problems as yet, and my bank has been happy enough crossing the Atlantic.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 07:58   #44

After further communications with Maggie, who is amazingly prompt even on a weekend, I have clarified the shipping charges. The original quote was FedEx Air to my door. I have the option of using oversea shipping with a delivery time of at least 3 to 4 weeks, for $715 to my door, or $350 if I choose to pick up at the Port of Houston.

That's a pretty drastic improvement and I am certainly not in a hurry. I may choose to slightly lower my Bank size and reduce it even further. I am still in the process of calculating all of my loads and how much reserve I want. I seriously doubt I will regret having too much capacity, but if I go smaller I can't really go up in size. Since I plan on this lasting 10 years or more I lean towards more capacity.

I have gone back and recalculated my other options and all told this is still my best price by about 20% or more once I include the reduced shipping.

I will keep working on this and let everyone know what I do.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:51   #45

I am looking at the ampacity ratings of the bus bars they supply. They would appear to be rated at 157 amps roughly. I am concerned that it would be too low if ever the bank was highly loaded, even though this would be rare. Their spec looks like its decent quality, but only 1.5 mm thick. If I double, or even triple them I would be where I want to be. If I spec my own the price jumps pretty drastically.

Any opinions about using these doubled up as opposed to one thick bar?

Thanks!

Tags
aluminum