Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2023, 15:54   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Does anybody have DAYGREEN DC2DC or step up/down Converter

Hi all,

Does anybody have DC2DC charger or converters (Step up/down) from daygreen www.daygreen.com and can tell their experience. Chinese company which only make these, nothing else and good webpage with local warehouses for quick shipping.
They look really good especially for marine as 100% watersealed and have a wide range to choose from. All are output current limited, so you can use them as battery charger, compared to eg Victron Orion Series (Not Orion TR/TR-smart DC2DC chargers) which state you can boost charge battery but fuse blows because they are not limited.

I am particularly interested in (but all reviews to any other model are welcomed)
DC2DC charger/Converter step up 12 to 28 or 29,4V optimum 30 or 40A output with remote (they call it ACC):
https://daygreen.com/products/12v-24...d-acid-charger

step down converter 24V to 13-13,8V in different amperage’s,
Especially this big one 120A:
https://daygreen.com/collections/24v...tage-regulator
A friend of mine using this to power the 12V 900W windlass on his boat with 24V LFP. Works well for almost a year now.

My Electrodacus BMS will switch the DC2DC charger/converter off via the remote if LFP battery is full means a cell reached what I programmed (3,60V at the moment). These will be also switched off by the battery monitor Victron BMV712 which monitor the lead starter battery already when starter is below 12,8V (or whatever I want) via the relay output, not draining the starter battery. So full DC2DC functionality. Switch on by ignition cable.
Means I actually don‘t need any additional functionality that Victrons Orion TR-smart has build in where you pay 280Euro for 24V/15A output, you actually get 12/13A when they run longer…
What especially obvious, the step down are much cheaper then step up but they all use the same circuit and parts, it’s just reversed. With daygreen prices are similar, with Victron and Mastervolt they differ factor 2-3…
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 16:32   #2

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat
Re: Does anybody have DAYGREEN DC2DC or step up/down Converter

I was looking at Daygreen's as well - so I'm keen to hear.

Mine would be 48-12 buck converters, big ones at 100a or so.
The 13.8v seem to be designed - in their words - for golf cart batteries rather than normal 12v. Hence I thought the 48-12 were more applicable than the 48-13.8 for running 12v appliances (MFD, VHF, etc.) off the 48v battery bank. But I'm happy to be explained the opposite if it's true...
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 16:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post
I was looking at Daygreen's as well - so I'm keen to hear.

Mine would be 48-12 buck converters, big ones at 100a or so.
The 13.8v seem to be designed - in their words - for golf cart batteries rather than normal 12v. Hence I thought the 48-12 were more applicable than the 48-13.8 for running 12v appliances (MFD, VHF, etc.) off the 48v battery bank. But I'm happy to be explained the opposite if it's true...
Very simple your 12V equipment is designed to be working in 10-15V Range. the more they get the better they work. 2nd you have voltage drop in your cables and in 12V not uncommon is 0,6-1V at the end and if your boat is older even more due to some corrosion at the connection (not much you need replacing but it’s there).
So if you convert from a 24V house to 13.8V and have 1V drop effectively 12.8 reaches your equipment. I would actually go even higher if adjustable, important is how many volt reaches your equipment not going over 14,5V. Especially Motors and pumps run and perform better and last longer the more they get so I have directly a Victron Orion TR 12/12 30A before fresh waterpump and fridge compressor and even bump it up from any voltage 9-18V (typically I have around 11,8 till 12,4V without) to stable 14,6V…they run like charm and actually need less amps due to less heat losses. For them less voltage means more amps=more heat in the coils of the motor or pump which kills the isolation lacquer over time=dead earlier.
Old 06-03-2023, 01:10   #4

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

Thank you CapnRivet.
I read that as the 48-13.8 is better (generally, and for our boat) than the 48-12 - correct?

While not helping your original question (though keeping it up the front page for the day ), for 48V the Calex 3000 is a bidirectional buck-boost 3000W converter. I wish they were more readily available, but the Daygreen is much cheaper (eek) and available (hmm).
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 11:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post
Thank you CapnRivet.
I read that as the 48-13.8 is better (generally, and for our boat) than the 48-12 - correct?

While not helping your original question (though keeping it up the front page for the day ), for 48V the Calex 3000 is a bidirectional buck-boost 3000W converter. I wish they were more readily available, but the Daygreen is much cheaper (eek) and available (hmm).

correct. Even better is an adjustable ouput.
This Orion Series is quite reasonably priced and has adjustable output.

https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B01BF...72&sr=8-3&th=1
they also have 2 step down 24V->12V with 70A for 150 and adjustable output so I will go with them. the markup is quite small here to daygreen, Victron quality and 5 years warranty