Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2022, 18:58   #1

Boat: Southerly 480
Does using the inverter rather than shore pwr reduce the life of the batteries?

I'm looking at a boat that is wired for 230/50. She's kitted out well with lithium, a Mass Combi Ultra, and a generator. I'm based in the US, and will only be using the boat in the US and Carribean so predominately 60hz.

Looking at my options, the cheapest is to keep the boat at 230/50 and run off the inverter even when connected to shore power. I know I won't be able to take advantage of shore assist when the draw exceeds the 3kw inverter, but I'm ok with that. What I started to wonder is will running things this way reduce the life of the batteries?

I suspect it won't, but I have a lot to learn about battery systems.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 19:15   #2

Re: Does using the inverter rather than shore pwr reduce the life of the batteries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
I'm looking at a boat that is wired for 230/50. She's kitted out well with lithium, a Mass Combi Ultra, and a generator. I'm based in the US, and will only be using the boat in the US and Carribean so predominately 60hz.

Looking at my options, the cheapest is to keep the boat at 230/50 and run off the inverter even when connected to shore power. I know I won't be able to take advantage of shore assist when the draw exceeds the 3kw inverter, but I'm ok with that. What I started to wonder is will running things this way reduce the life of the batteries?

I suspect it won't, but I have a lot to learn about battery systems.
How much 230 volt equipment does it have. My boat which is pretty large and extensive has an AC unit, a battery charger and a hot water tank. Everything else is 12 volt. It would not be the difficult to change out those things although it could be a bit pricy but not outrageous. After that wire is wire. As long as its at least 14 gauge you would have enough power. The circuit breakers don't care about the voltage only the amperage and they are pretty cheap.

You could look at putting in a 120v charger to charge the batteries and you would be connected to shore power. Use the inverter for everything else.

Batteries have so many charge cycles an then they are done.
Sailorman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 20:20   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Does using the inverter rather than shore pwr reduce the life of the batteries?

Your Mass Combi Ultra has "intelligent switching". If you connect your AC outlets to it, it will supply your loads from mains or generator when either of those sources are available and only switch to battery/inverter when neither of the primary sources are available. If you've got anything that you will only run when on shore power, such as Aircon, you can wire that into it so that it doesn't access batteries/inverter at all.

To quote Mastervolt:
"The Mass Combi Ultra has inputs for generator or mains supply, each optimized for the power source. A robust intelligent transfer system switches seamlessly between AC power, generator and inverter, and ensures a constant power supply. Flickering lights or failure of electronic equipment belong to the past. Separate AC outputs provide the ability to power heavy users via mains and/or generator."
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 21:05   #4

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Your Mass Combi Ultra has "intelligent switching". If you connect your AC outlets to it, it will supply your loads from mains or generator when either of those sources are available and only switch to battery/inverter when neither of the primary sources are available. If you've got anything that you will only run when on shore power, such as Aircon, you can wire that into it so that it doesn't access batteries/inverter at all.

To quote Mastervolt:
"The Mass Combi Ultra has inputs for generator or mains supply, each optimized for the power source. A robust intelligent transfer system switches seamlessly between AC power, generator and inverter, and ensures a constant power supply. Flickering lights or failure of electronic equipment belong to the past. Separate AC outputs provide the ability to power heavy users via mains and/or generator."
Stu - thanks. I suspect there are problems though if mains/shore are 240/60 and the inverter is emitting 230/50. Or am I wrong?
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, inverter