Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 07:47   #1

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Drop in lithium batteries

I have seen a lot of action in the lithium drop in replacement batteries market Brand such as Battle Born and the one from coastal climate offer batteries with built in bms. That are starting to look relatively affordable (I did say relatively).
The bid advantage is the straight swap ,assuming the charging system is appropriate.
Has anyone had experience with these
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:48   #2

Boat: Newell, 1998, 45'8"
Re: Drop in lithium batteries

No experience but I'm currently looking at BattleBorn and LifeBlue LiFePO4's. LifeBlue looks interesting with their 5+5 year warranty and bluetooth interface. But of course the warranty is only as good as the (new) company.
I need to replace 3 8D gel cells in my RV.
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:52   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

No such thing as drop in LiFePO4 batteries.... and a company that claims that there is I wouldn't put much credibility in .....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:53   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

That's overstating the case.

I would trust Victron's more than Battleborne for example. But we don't know who makes the cells in either case.

Many cheap Chinese units sold on eBay I'm sure won't last long, may not even be LFP but some other chemistry.

If the internal BMS can isolate without warning, can fry an alt or sensitive load devices.

Using high voltages from stock lead charge sources will mean a drastically shortened lifespan.

So the statement

"If you blindly buy into the myth that you can just drop a unit into your system built for lead, and get all the LFP benefits, you are sadly mistaken"

is certainly true.

But **if** they were half the price per AH of prismatic cells, I think it might be worth designing around their limitations.

But they are not, go prismatic.

PS apparently some vendors allow the unit's internal circuitry to communicate with a central BMS. Was news to me, dunno much.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 13:36   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
No such thing as drop in LiFePO4 batteries.... and a company that claims that there is I wouldn't put much credibility in .....
All of my study supports this as well. Also, we found that managing several charging systems required new software in every device and significant wiring changes to avoid accidental over charging and other errors. LIFO costs contemplated do not reflect this. We are going Firefly.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 13:49   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We are going Firefly.
After 3yrs of my 400AH LiFePO4 bank...I'm planning a swap to Firefly myself for simplicity.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 13:59   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

It is not technically impossible, or even difficult really.
Not compared say to electronic engine controls or designing and building a Radar.
I’m surprised there isn’t an affordable one already.
There are many true unsupervised chargers for large Lithium battery banks in existence, have been for a decade at least.
Even the alternator “problem” isn’t difficult to resolve, just cut field power as opposed to simple disconnection.

There must not be enough demand, or some companies are missing out big.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 14:54   #8

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Quote:
After 3yrs of my 400AH LiFePO4 bank...I'm planning a swap to Firefly myself for simplicity.

Really? Wow, I haven't heard anyone "going back" to LA after LFP. Can you elaborate on the problems you have had?
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 16:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I would trust Victron's more than Battleborne for example. But we don't know who makes the cells in either case.
Your trust would quickly end after 2 years warranty period is over. Then you are on your own and if something goes south... I do not know about Victron, but their biggest competitor used Winston cells and amazingly marketed 320Ah battery as 360Ah. Or maybe there is some trick 8x160Ah to "convert" to 360Ah. Winston cells have higher capacity vs declared so real capacity was 360Ah. But you get the idea how they squeeze some profit using such grey methods.
Username25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 17:40   #10
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username25 View Post
Your trust would quickly end after 2 years warranty period is over. Then you are on your own.
Note I am not saying I would ever buy drop-in myself.

I was simply stating that Victron is a maker I trust compared to others.

Battleborn I dunno.

Are you saying you know that Victron's LFP are not as long-lived as Winston GBS CALB etc?

As I said, fact that we don't know who makes the cells is a major reason to stick to the few known-good makers.

What you state above taken literally is true for any battery maker even the best, inherent in the nature if the product.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 18:13   #11

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Battle Born batteries are apparently assembled and tested in the U.S. - Reno, Nevada.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/

Some terrestrial solar users are starting to provide feedback on the batteries on solar forums. I believe that just one size, 100ah, grp. 27, is currently available.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 18:42   #12

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Interesting. Weren't you actively arguing before on not needing any sophisticed control for lifepo and just setting a low max charge voltage?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 22:41   #13

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Ok Third day, spill the beans. You have an excellent understanding of the tech stuff, very interested in your reasoning for the change to Fireflys. I was considering Fireflys when I got to south Africa but unfortunately I needed to change prior.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 23:02   #14

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Ok Third day, spill the beans. You have an excellent understanding of the tech stuff, very interested in your reasoning for the change to Fireflys. I was considering Fireflys when I got to south Africa but unfortunately I needed to change prior.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:43   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Are you saying you know that Victron's LFP are not as long-lived as Winston GBS CALB etc?
I'm saying that Victron's major competitor was using Winston cells. I have no info about Victron. Problem is not quality of cells, but the rest. You can easily swap cells, but in case electronics fail... you are f**** if 2 year warranty period is over. Victron's LFP and BMS are separate units, so it is better solution, but the price is astronomical... Lynx Ion BMS 400A >1285€, 1000A > 2045€. PM me if interested, I can show you few pics of an autopsy...
Username25 is offline   Reply With Quote