Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2021, 12:51   #16

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: EVE LiFePO4 280Ah 3.2v Battery Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishsea View Post
. The batteries will likely last for 10+ years (2000+ cycle life) .
The new version, LF 280k claims 6000 cycles in the perfect world

Quote:
My cells came with M6 threaded battery posts. The post are also aluminum so max 40-50 inch pound of torque. I have some problems with busbars building up resistance and needing cleaning. I have been using dielectric grease, but perhaps No-Ox-Id or similar would fix this issue. Now these cells can be ordered with posts welded to the terminal for a fee. I would go with this option if you can get it.
No ox or similar is the recommended method in the manual
Not sure if we paid extra for welded studs or not, the supplier of ours gave no option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-10-18-05-40-26-342~2.jpeg
Views:	993
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	246966  
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 08:53   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post

No ox or similar is the recommended method in the manual
i think is better Äronix Aluminium Profi Kontakt if busbar is Al or
Äronix Kupfer Kontaktpaste CU if busbar is Cu.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:37   #18

Boat: Slocum 43

I am starting down this path of changing over to LiFePO4. The voltage profile seems to match a 12v FLA. Tried the Liitokala cells could not recommend them. Supposed to be 105 amp hour came in at 73-75 amp hour also seemed to be a little light weight. Best I can suggest is avoid aliexpress and go direct to the manufacturer's web site you get a proper enforceable supply contract. Chinese customer protection law is far superior to ours but will it operate??. I am working with EVE cells 160amp hour. So far no issue 90-95% full charge capacity off the discharge recharge cycle came in at 161 amp hour. Only issue I had here was the BMS used BT and the voltages etc didn't match my meter. I programmed the cut off voltages to match those from the BMS.

Boxing up. EVE has a short video clip and only uses high temperature tape and suggests never charging to to full voltage as it seems that's where the expansion issue arises.

I used double sided glass tape and plastic dividers between cells and 2mm rubber sheet all round the outside. Final box is 4mm marine grade ply epoxy glass tape edges and bands. Final securing is with plastic wedges used to fit widow and door frames

Even if they only last 2000 cycles at say a ridiculous 200 a year that's 10 years and in 10 years the technology will be obsolete if corrosion hasn't set in.

I use a soft start with my invertor loads (mainly motors) and a 250 amp BMS for high loads.

My thinking is to use lower capacity cells in 3 banks plus the FLA engine start and generator feed battery.

a) house deck and navigation lights etc, b) instruments, radios, nav stuff, c) heavy amp loads.

Any thoughts on this out there??
ssMakai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, lifepo4