Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2022, 17:34   #61

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: EVE vs. Winston? 60% price difference

Winston over Julia from skypower are straight from the factory, my source an Austrian NPO gets huge amounts of cells (always a full container) directly from Yinglong (LTO), Calb and Lishen factory. No middle man or additional dealer.
Like this you get best quality and fresh stock for a good priece
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 23:52   #62

Boat: Hudson Force 50, 51'

thanks Bud. I actually just talked with Julia and a few others recommended her as well. Thanks again!
captianjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 13:41   #63
KTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Yes, mine were brand new
Do your research
Don't buy the cheapest expecting A grade cells
and use a reputable reseller

Heres a QR code scan, one of several taken right now using the same app as used in the video you linked to.

What's that I see?
July 2021?
Just as the documentation said.

Order date of batts from my end was 25/07/21
Dispatched 12/08/21
24 X 3.2v cells, 3 X JBD BMS + freight for $3670.00 usd total delivered.
All 280ah cells cells tested at 290+ - hours
Wait, you can get 20kWh of LiFePO4 now for $3700 delivered? Dang, I didn't know this stuff had gotten so cheap!

I may have to reconsider a generator, because that that price I could have a 100kWh battery for the price of a gen.
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 16:40   #64

Boat: Hudson Force 50, 51'

yup. just gotta charge em. cruising is changing fast. I give it a few years and the work from homers will be invading an anchorage near you. anyway, yeah its wild what's happened with batteries and solar. im looking at 400 watt solar panels. trying to do the math on charging speed and what I need.
captianjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 21:52   #65

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's ridiculously cheap -- $0.39 per AH per cell. That's getting close to the price of open cell lead batteries, and way cheaper than quality AGM.

It becomes impossible to justify sticking with lead.

Particularly if you live in a place with a high freight component applying.

I think we may be living through the demise of the lead acid battery.
Old 10-07-2022, 22:01   #66

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
EVE vs. Winston? 60% price difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
Language difficulties aside, over generalisation is misinformation.

The country of origin may as well be irrelevant, top notch QA can be implemented anywhere.

As stated many many times, the quality of the vendor is just as essential as the brand.

The maker may have such fantastic QA that only 15% of each production run is true Grade A.

Yes the Chinese military and huge EV makers get first dibs.

The remaining 85% is still getting sold perhaps through completely different channels.

Being able to test yourself on arrival is best.

Combined with a vendor local to you - same continent anyway - willing to honor a warranty.

Filing that, then follow reco's from trusted members and roll the dice.

Just to be clear you cannot qa your way to quality you have to design it in and develop a build process that meets the design criteria

If you are using qa to deliver product you have no idea if you have a good design and process

This is really very old school re: read Demming for some history in this area

A little statistical process control knowledge will help
Old 17-07-2022, 05:24   #67

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Just to be clear you cannot qa your way to quality you have to design it in and develop a build process that meets the design criteria

If you are using qa to deliver product you have no idea if you have a good design and process

This is really very old school re: read Demming for some history in this area

A little statistical process control knowledge will help
And exactly that is done at all bigger manufacturers as the cells they deliver for eg EV or power walls need to be certified and QA is a big part of that.
Cell manufacturers need min 70% real grade A to be profitable and survive in the long run. But how tight/which bandwidth is accepted as grade A is different per manufacturer. While top notch like Winston normally delivers 20% more then the rating (but you can be unlucky and get one that just meet criteria spot on) they sell, more price and volume sale brands like EVE Lishen, Basen you get around 5% more then rating. Then there is real grade B which top notch like Winston sell to eg sinopoly which sell them as their grade A, means +/- 5%of rating is acceptable as grade A sinopoly. Winston has around 70% grade A, 25% grade B (sold to other brands as their grade A) and 5% junk. Winston scraps the junk.
Volume like EVE, Lishen and Basen sells all, 80% is grade A, 10% is classified grade b and 10% is junk sold by container.
The huge amount of these so called grade B cells of these volume brands are actually used and rebatched ones from power storages etc.
And if you look how the majority of these so called grade B test it's quite amazing that after 5 years of heavy use and cycling they are still within 10% of their rating and good for another 5-8years minimum.
If a seller advertises he is testing and selecting all cells its 99.99% junk production sold unsorted by container or used cells where they have to identify the really bad ones and match the different cells as close as possible to get usable cell that will commonly run for some years.
Real grade A and classified B are sold sorted and classified by production batch or slot in containers directly from the factory and only random testing of some cells if they match the specs happens. If they got resold its always a set of matching serial number from the same batch and 100% identically visually. If the buyer has slot sizes that doesn't fit the factory slot sizes, the factory classifies which batches /slots are closest to be used commonly. It's never a single cell, it's always the whole slot or batch.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, price