Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2024, 09:06   #1

Boat: 42' Simpson Catamaran
Heading to salt water/Corrosion/Setup

We're currently in fresh water and have used our system in the boat for 3 summer seasons. The system is 4 batteries (4 cells each) inside the salon settee (photo of interior-batteries are under the seatee furthest left by the holes in the side) inside it's case. It was previously 2 batteries (8 cells each) and we've reconfigured. We're heading to salt water in about 6 months and we're concerned about the open bms situation and possible corrosion/failure. I don't know if it's a legit concern or not based on the location in the boat. Then I fell into a rabbit hole during a search for some sort of spray protectant for the bms since it's not enclosed. I am now also wondering if our 'box' is adequate. It holds the batteries tight to each other so they cannot move or chafe but do we also need something between each cell? We also made a cover to go over the terminals as well as a cover over the bms for protection but they're not sealed off to the air. I've included some photos to show where they're located in the boat, the old configuration and installation in the boat and the new configuration and cover (currently in the house after doing another top balance and reconfigure during the winter). Three questions..... 1) does anyone have an idea of something (spray or other) to protect the bms from corrosion or is this not necessary? 2) Does our setup look adequate? 3) We've also been searching for some longer bus bars so we can add a compression bar in the middle between the 2 sets of cells

Thanks!
Amy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Salon.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	285904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old 2 battery system installed in boat.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	425.6 KB
ID:	285905  

Name:	New 1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	285906   Click image for larger version

Name:	New 2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	285907  

Name:	New 3.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	285908  
aj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 02:46   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bavaria Match35
Re: Heading to salt water/Corrosion/Setup

There may be spray-style products that will prevent metal oxidation in the marine environment. I'm not optimistic that these are very effective. Arcing occurs in loosened electrical connections and excessive oxidation increases over time. It is useful to check the electrical connection nuts one by one, they may loosen over time due to engine vibration. Keeping the humidity in the boat at the lowest possible level reduces oxidation. You can make the boat warmer during the day by opening all the curtains. Using active-passive devices that reduce the humidity in the environment will provide extra benefit. If you live on a boat and heat it, this is generally best to reduce humidity and oxidation.

I couldn't see your battery connection to boat hull very clearly in the pictures, but; It is very important to fix your batteries to the boat with very strong connections due to the waves in the marine environment. I wish you good luck at sea.
SOLAR SUPPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 05:28   #3

Boat: 42' Simpson Catamaran
Re: Heading to salt water/Corrosion/Setup

Thanks for your reply!
aj676 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BMS, corrosion, lithium, salt, salt water, Spray protector