Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2022, 20:17   #1

How do you lithium users monitor state of charge?

Im just starting to educate myself on lithium systems and have become aware that lithium does not drop in voltage like lead acid does as its depth of discharge decreases. Since lithium holds a high voltage throughout most of its discharge cycle, how do you guys monitor the lithium banks current state of charge? i use an SG-200 on my lead acid bank but i dont see any similar monitors for lithium. Is monitoring state of charge incorporated into the displays on products like the Victron inverter/chargers or is it done another way?
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 20:20   #2

Boat: Voyage 430
Re: How do you lithium users monitor state of charge?

Victron BMV 712. It counts amps in and out.
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 13:01   #3

Boat: Ericson 27

I'm building a DIY lithium battery for my Ericson 27. In our case, the state of charge will be measured by the BMS itself. We're building a fully integrated system, using a REC Active BMS. One of the things it does is play with our Victron Gear, and tell us what the SOC is.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 14:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson View Post
I'm building a DIY lithium battery for my Ericson 27. In our case, the state of charge will be measured by the BMS itself. We're building a fully integrated system, using a REC Active BMS. One of the things it does is play with our Victron Gear, and tell us what the SOC is.
Oh interesting. I was wondering about that. Havnt learned the ins and outs of the BMS's yet. Im assuming the Lithionics batteries that have internal and external BMS will do the same.
Old 22-03-2022, 12:47   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

We monitor the BMS via the app to see what the percentage of charge is, but accept this isn't very accurate, probably voltage based. Equally we have a printed table and check the battery voltage occasionally, again not very accurate, but actually it doesn't matter.

Whilst its important to watch lead acid is fully charged, we don't worry about the LFP if its at 60% or 90%. We sometimes boil the kettle if its getting close to the knee (greater than say 95%) and have used the engine to add charge if bad weather is coming in, rest of the time solar just does the charging nicely.

It does take a change in mind set which can be quite hard to do if you are used to baby sitting lead acid.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 13:50   #6

Boat: Amigo 40, 31ft double ender

We use a Victron SmartShunt. No display, but easily viewable via a smartphone.

We also have a Cerbo GX so we get a very nice overview of the state of the boat
bergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 17:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

It does take a change in mind set which can be quite hard to do if you are used to baby sitting lead acid.
That wont be hard. Im so fed up/disgusted with lead acid.

Tags
lithium, monitor